Lady Byng finalists: Matthews, Slavin, Spurgeon

ACLEVERNAME

No content.
Jan 6, 2010
Oof...
Why tf is Auston Matthews nominated, hes not even the most sportsmanlike on his team. Jack Campbell >>>>>>>>>>>

tenor.gif

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Instead of Matthews I would have Aho. League doesn't have to keep hugging the Leafs.

That being said the winner for me would still be Spurgeon. Slavin is a nice candidate, but Spurgeon has been fantastic sportsman for a decade and just carried his team to an unexpected playoff run as the captain. He was chosen to be the captain by unanimously pretty much the whole wild organization.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Slavin and Spurgeon are good choices, Slavin particular.

Matthews here is a bit of a joke. There are other players such as Couturier that play hard matchups against opponents top lines or even Boone Jenner with his hard nosed style of game that have a low PIM count, which is arguably more impressive.

I think there is a bit fo an identity crisis with this award.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Slavin and Spurgeon are good choices, Slavin particular.

Matthews here is a bit of a joke. There are other players such as Couturier that play hard matchups against opponents top lines or even Boone Jenner with his hard nosed style of game that have a low PIM count, which is arguably more impressive.

I think there is a bit fo an identity crisis with this award.

I don't know why Matthews is a joke. He gets a ton of attention as one of the best goal scorers in the league, goes into the hard areas to score, and is a beast along the boards. He does all this and keeps a cool head. Maybe there's a bit of a criticism to be had there since people want some more fire in his belly come crunch time and it seems like he can't live down some of his off-ice behavior but I think within the spirit of the award he measures up. This seems to be one of those awards that are used as fuel when someone has an axe to grind.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If Matthews is going to win anything, this award for lack of grit and killer instinct is at least appropriate.

So I guess the same can be said about the likes of Slavin and Spurgeon-right? Or MacKinnon and O'Reilly last year? Just want to be sure Matthews isn't being held to a different standard which he appears he is.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Only 2 PIM for a dman is absolutely wild.

Expecting it to go to Slavin based on that and his consistency.

Though the “high standard of playing ability” might tip it towards Matthews a bit depending on the weighting.

All terrific players at any rate

All three players meet this criteria. Since it is met for all three, you have to look at the other attributes. The award doesn't favor the highest standard of playing ability, the wording only ensures that all three have at least a high level.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Why? He drew a penalty on the play. Better than taking a penalty himself.
Matthews showing even the least bit of heart would be worth a hell of a lot more than a powerplay.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
All three players meet this criteria. Since it is met for all three, you have to look at the other attributes. The award doesn't favor the highest standard of playing ability, the wording only ensures that all three have at least a high level.

Thats why I said depending on the weighting. If voters placed an emphasis on high level of play then Matthews might get more consideration simply because he reached a new level of play through the season.

I still think it should go to Slavin but we all know that the awards don’t always go the way they probably should.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yet ROR backed up into a Tim Hortons while drunk. People tend to forget that.

Why? He drew a penalty on the play. Better than taking a penalty himself.

Probably didn’t score going by their PP.

Why did Marner refuse to take up a new spot on the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->