Ladislav Smid

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
He will definitely be a top 4 defenseman, IMO.

He's solid in his own end, good skater, can move the puck and pass it well. He won't put up a ton of points but he's a good all-around player. I like the Meszaros comparison, I just wouldn't expect Smid to make an impact like Meszaros did in his rookie season.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
He will definitely be a top 4 defenseman, IMO.

He's solid in his own end, good skater, can move the puck and pass it well. He won't put up a ton of points but he's a good all-around player. I like the Meszaros comparison, I just wouldn't expect Smid to make an impact like Meszaros did in his rookie season.

Cool, that's what I was thinking. Maybe is Smid was given the minutes and the partners Meszaros had then we can expect a similar season.

If the oilers score a lot of goals it would be a lot easier for the kid so let's hope they can find the twine with regularity, I think they will.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
If anyone has seen him play please fill me in on what we can expect. Is there a comparable player in the NHL right now, Meszaros?

This is a very bad comparison. The only thing they have in common are they are Defense men from Eastern Europe who are about the same age.

Smid plays a much more conservative/steady game.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Ladislav Smid has been one of the most consistently underrated prospects around here for a while now. I think he's a real stud defensive prospect and definitely has #1 defenseman potential. He's not going to be Nick Lidstrom but he's definitely got the ability to be a Mattias Ohlund type, a top 10-20 d-man in the NHL.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I agree with Epilson. Smid REALLY reminds me of Ohlund, but still needs to improve his defensive coverage to be a shutdown type guy like Ohlund. Smid is the next Ohlund, and if he pans out Edmonton wins this deal. Potential #1 defenseman who can be a top 10 defenseman in the NHL in the future,

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
I agree with Epilson. Smid REALLY reminds me of Ohlund, but still needs to improve his defensive coverage to be a shutdown type guy like Ohlund. Smid is the next Ohlund, and if he pans out Edmonton wins this deal. Potential #1 defenseman who can be a top 10 defenseman in the NHL in the future,

That's good feed back to hear. He must be pretty talented to be in the AHL as a 19 year old. If he turns into an Ohlund kind of player then we are in good shape. I would assume that with Smith there he can help him in defensive coverage because that is his best attribute. I am excited to see him in training camp.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Smid doesn't have Ohlund's physical play, but has the potential to be a bit smoother (think Ohlund pre-eye injury).

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm a big fan of Smid, the guy has been consistently underrated since his draft year. Personally I was hoping the Canes would draft him at #8 in 04 (definitely glad we landed Ladd though) and he's simply impressed me at every level that I've seen him play. I love the Ohlund comparison, both guys work their asses off every shift, are sound positionally, and never seem to get the credit they are due.

I'd say his upside is as a #1, although I agree with a poster that said he won't be a top-10 in the league type.

Ogopogo*

I ma curious as to why so many people feel confident that they can predict his upside?

Near as I can tell, he has never played in North America. Where have you seen him play? How are you able to make a judgement?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I ma curious as to why so many people feel confident that they can predict his upside?

Near as I can tell, he has never played in North America. Where have you seen him play? How are you able to make a judgement?

He's already spent an entire season in the AHL (and did very well) and has played in multiple WJCs where he was consistently among the best defensemen.

Ogopogo*

He's already spent an entire season in the AHL (and did very well) and has played in multiple WJCs where he was consistently among the best defensemen.

Well, that answers that question.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Ohlund is not a very good comparison IMHO.

Smid doesn't play very physical (some might even call him 'softish') so unlike Ohlund he's not gonna paste opponents to the boards. He relies much more on his skating as well.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of less physical Lydman or something.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Ohlund is not a very good comparison IMHO.

Smid doesn't play very physical (some might even call him 'softish') so unlike Ohlund he's not gonna paste opponents to the boards. He relies much more on his skating as well.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of less physical Lydman or something.

A poor man's Lidstrom?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad