Ladislav Smid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
What kind of player is Ladislav Smid?

More defensive or offensive...

What kind of upside? Will he be a future qb of the PP?

How's he doing in portland?

I'm looking at maybe getting him in a keeper league, want to know your opinion...

I got a bunch of youngster D prospects
-phaneuf
-jack johnson
-shea weber
-trevor daley

Im looking to add one more to have for the next 5 years.

Is Smid one to get?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
McDonald19 said:
two-way d-man in the mold of Mattias Ohlund.

Top pairing upside for sure, more a #2 guy than a true #1.

He possesses an excellent skillset. But when I first saw him, I had no idea he was 6'3 and 200 + pounds. His lack of strength and toughness will prevent him from ever being a number one defenseman, but he could be a good 2-3 who plays on the PK and the first-pairing PP. If he puts on more muscle, that is an underestimation. Primarily, he is an offensive defenseman, but he is no slouch defensively. Sometimes, he takes risks in the offensive zone and fails to catch up with his man, but with time he will learn to pick his spots. A good skater with an excellent outlet pass (all the more important in the "new" NHL).

At worst, he will be a Andy Delmore-type defenseman. I think he will probably turn into an Oleg Tverdosky/Sandis Ozolnish type defenseman with more size. Developed properly, he could be the next Tomas Kaberle, and if he develops a physical edge (very unlikely at this stage), he could become a true #1. On another note, he proves that stats are absolutely no indication of play/development.

Also, I could see him not being mentally very strong because he is not a vocal player and is quiet on the ice. He has a timid appearance on the ice; I remember he took a cross check in the back and showed no signs of anger; he did not retaliate in any way. Now, he might have been playing smart, but once he gets rattled by in a game, he won't bounce back. If he is sidelined by a long-term injury, his play might forever be adversely affected. But I may be seriously underestimating him in this aspect.

Bishop*

I have him in my dynasty league, actually traded to get him (replacing Cam Barker on my rookie squad, though the deal had more involved)...

The kid has all the potential to be a top two pairing as mentioned above... His comparison to Ohlund is generous on the defensive end and slightly less so on the offensive end... I believe he sees the ice very well and has shone in making the outlet pass... I think him defensively responsible which will make him ideal to be played in ALL situations...

Point-wise, he is a solid option on D, but will never lead the charge on a fantasy team (think Pronger, Lidstrom, et al)...

In the NHL, he will be a valuable asset to the blueline indeed...

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
superroyain10 said:
I think he will probably turn into an Oleg Tverdosky/Sandis Ozolnish type defenseman with more size.

I don't see that as a good comparison. He plays safe hockey. He does not jump up into the play that often. His strength is safe plays with great outlet passes.

Ohlund comparison was the best one I've heard so far. He won't be a Ozolinsh type.

Veela

Aug 17, 2005
Prague
I watched Ladislav for couple of years here in czech league. He grew incredibly alongside Modry and Fischer last season, he learned much. It is very important for a young player to get such a tutorial. He is maybe the best D-man out of Czech junior crop, so you gotta be sure he will be on many national teams down the road.

Good comparison to Ohlund. He lacks Ohlund´s size now, but once bulking up, he´s there. Good vision, good reaction, just a raw talent.

Randall Graves*

Last time I saw him was the WJC's and he was outstanding. Good outlet passes, good speed, very good defensive positioning and he's got a good shot too. You can see the potential for offense there, will he reach that potential? I don't know but he looks like he could be a really good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad