Ladislav Smid vs Kenny Jonsson?

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Does anyone have any thoughts on this comparison? I didn't get a chance to watch Jonsson play a lot but, from what I remember, Smid really reminds me of him. He looks like an absolute stud so far in Edmonton and his ability to evade the forecheck and to skate away from pressure in the defensive zone is amazing for a 20 year old rookie defenceman. He's obviously no Martin Skoula but he shows tremendous puck poise and he rarely makes mistakes with the puck despite handling it a decent amount. Perhaps more amazing, he has barely taken any penalties yet this season outside of two even-up roughing penalties from skirmishes.

He's gradually starting to play more minutes for the Oilers and he's been a 20 minute a night guy over the last 5 games or so in Edmonton. I still have no idea whatsoever about his offensive potential but he's still young and it is only his second year in North America so it could come with time.

Any thoughts on the comparison for those who have had an opportunity to see Smid play? Do you see any better comparisons out there (two others I've liked are Ohlund and Numminen)? Do you think he'll emerge as a regular 30-40 point defenceman like Jonsson was or does he have the potential to be better offensively (or worse)?

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Smid is a better all around defencemen....Jonsson was more purely offensive and not as fundamentally sound...

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Smid is a better all around defencemen....Jonsson was more purely offensive and not as fundamentally sound...

thinking of someone else? Kenny Jonsson defined fundamentally sound for the most part of his career.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

you obviously never watched the Islanders play. Kenny was one of those guys who made whoever he was paired with better. he was always there to cover up his partner's mistakes.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
you obviously never watched the Islanders play. Kenny was one of those guys who made whoever he was paired with better. he was always there to cover up his partner's mistakes.
That's the way I view Smid as well which is why I liked the comparison. I'm not sold on the Kaberle comparison, I'm not sure if Smid has as much natural offensive ability.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Nobody owns Jonsson's NHL rights, correct? I assume he's still playing in Sweden. He'd make some kind of pick-up next year if he had any inclination to come back over and play.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Nobody owns Jonsson's NHL rights, correct? I assume he's still playing in Sweden. He'd make some kind of pick-up next year if he had any inclination to come back over and play.

Jönsson where fantastic in the Olympics (MVP) and the WCH's.

Though in the end he is finnished. He had tons of concussions, and have a bum knee, and a bad back.

Its to bad because he is a D who really thrives with the new rules, and playing for teams that plays a puck possesion game. If healty he could be a Norris candidate in the NHL right now. Without a doubt. I would put him somewhere inbetween Lidström and T. Kaberle.

Though I think Jönsson knows the odds of him not making it through a NHL season, and therefor opts to play low level hockey in his hometown, where he can raise his children.

On the question, Smid seems to be the type of D who could get better his entire career, and peak in his early-mid 30's almost. I defenitly wouldn't be shocked if he where a top 5 D in this league sometime. Don't think he is there yet though. Time will tell.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Jönsson where fantastic in the Olympics (MVP) and the WCH's.

Though in the end he is finnished. He had tons of concussions, and have a bum knee, and a bad back.

Its to bad because he is a D who really thrives with the new rules, and playing for teams that plays a puck possesion game. If healty he could be a Norris candidate in the NHL right now. Without a doubt. I would put him somewhere inbetween Lidström and T. Kaberle.

Though I think Jönsson knows the odds of him not making it through a NHL season, and therefor opts to play low level hockey in his hometown, where he can raise his children.

On the question, Smid seems to be the type of D who could get better his entire career, and peak in his early-mid 30's almost. I defenitly wouldn't be shocked if he where a top 5 D in this league sometime. Don't think he is there yet though. Time will tell.

If he's really that badly banged up - its a damn shame.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004

Never seen Kenny play? The dude was an amazing defenseman, and it was his defense that really made him special. He was so underrated for so long, a comment like this shouldn't be said. Kenny was ALL fundamentals.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Maybe Frank Kaberle :dunno:
Frank Kaberle is a bad comparison IMO. I think Cerebral means Smid will be a D who (while not having a lot of points) will be a calming influence on their D partner and will be solid defensivelly while maybe having a A on his jersey.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Keith Carney is the guy that pops into my mind with this comparison. I haven't seen smid much, so I might be way off, but that's who I think of.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
AskMe

Not as fundamentally sound?
That was Jonsson's entire game IMHO. I'm not sure Nik Lidstrom was as fundamentally sound as Jonsson. He may not have had the raw physical skill set of others, but I've seen very few defencemen that were as intelligent and reliable as he.
Jonsson of all players perfectly defined how someone is ideally taught to play the position in all situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->