Ladd Trade 2 years on...

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
For all we know Ladd was asking for much more from the Jets and Chevy's offer was not meant to sign him, but also not insult him. We don't really know how those discussions went, or how close they were to signing Ladd. It's possible that Ladd had no interest in returning to the Jets and made that clear, but PR dictated that it looked like there serioss discussions. In the end, Ladd signed for a fraction more than 6x6, so maybe he wanted to move.

Fraction, but extra year, the clauses, and the bonuses make the contract worth more than the dollar amount difference.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Fraction, but extra year, the clauses, and the bonuses make the contract worth more than the dollar amount difference.
We still don't know if Ladd really wanted to stay in Winnipeg, for a range of reasons.

Reactions: TheDeuce

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The TSN Turning Point of Jets 2.0... :laugh:

I disagree. The TSN Turning Point of Jets 2.0 was winning the consolation prize in the 2016 NHL Draft. I don't believe any moment changed the Jets future more than that. Moving from #6 to #2 was the difference between getting Patrik Laine and potentially taking Tkachuk, Keller or even Alex Nylander.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I disagree. The TSN Turning Point of Jets 2.0 was winning the consolation prize in the 2016 NHL Draft. I don't believe any moment changed the Jets future more than that. Moving from #6 to #2 was the difference between getting Patrik Laine and potentially taking Tkachuk, Keller or even Alex Nylander.

If we'd stayed at #6 and taken Keller we wouldn't be looking for a 2C right now - or a 3C either. Not saying he would have been as good as Laine but it isn't like we would be a lot weaker either.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets with Tkachuk or Keller would still be an outstanding team.

But, Laine!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We also don't know if Ladd really *didn't* want to stay in Winnipeg, for a range of reasons.
Agree, though he moved his family to NYC (wife had a professional practice in Winnipeg), for a fraction more a contract worth only 6.9% more than Winnipeg supposedly offered him. Also, reportedly wouldn't sign a $36 million contract as a 30 year old coming off a serious injury and surgery, for a condition that many older players have a very hard time recovering from.

So, I wonder how much he wanted to stay in Winnipeg if he reportedly turned down $36 million under those circumstances.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I suppose that could be true. Although it was apparently signalled by the team to the press that a signing was imminent. Seems unlikely to me that would have been done if they didn't think that they were very close to a deal. But I agree there is no way to know for sure.
Since when has anything like this has happened? The local media never break anything until it is already a done deal, and only then are they fed the company line.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Disagree. The TSN turning point for the Jets was selecting Scheifele with their very 1st overall pick. This was far and away the turning point. Getting an off the board league top 5 (point per game) NHL center, that is a humble down to earth hockey nerd willing to sign one of the most team friendly contracts in the league is an almost unimaginable brilliant 1st step by Chevy. Everything after that is down the line. I'd put not re-signing Ladd and moving him at the TD easily in the top 10 however.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I can't see Chevy agreeing to the way Ladd's contract is full of bonuses with a basic salary.

The biggest move by far for the Jets is Scheif.
Who upped their game more for the playoffs?
He scored 14 goals in 17 games and would have steamrolled the 19 goal record had the Jets made it to the next round.
Is there a better contract in the NHL? If you take into consideration the term of the deal, it is probably the best contract in the league.
Kucherov's is sweet but is over after next season and then he is going to want BIG bucks.

Ladd's is arguably one of the worst.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Kane/bogo trade was a top turning point. Team was trying to trade kane for a couple of years. Made playoffs cause of trade.

Got bogo off the books.

Roslo will be a key player for years.

Meyers will likely turn into another first-rounder which could be another key player in the future.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Kane/bogo trade was a top turning point. Team was trying to trade kane for a couple of years. Made playoffs cause of trade.

Got bogo off the books.

Roslo will be a key player for years.

Myers will likely turn into another first-rounder which could be another key player in the future.
Especially since they only got a 1st for Kane.

Tdpjets

Dec 30, 2017
ladd sucks because little isnt very good and wheeler couldnt carry both ladd and little.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
ladd sucks because little isnt very good and wheeler couldnt carry both ladd and little.

They were a very solid 1st line when they were in their primes on a Jets team that had crap goaltending and next to no depth. I have found memories of Ladd but it was time to go.

Reactions: Gm0ney

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
They were a very solid 1st line when they were in their primes on a Jets team that had crap goaltending and next to no depth. I have found memories of Ladd but it was time to go.
Yep, one of the best move Chevy made was letting him go.

With that being said, I have nothing but respect for Ladd. He was a warrior, a great player and a great captain.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I liked Ladd and was impressed from the getgo when he came to Winnipeg early to check out the city when it was learned that the Thrashers were relocating here. In fact, the first Jets 2.0 jersey that I bought was number 16 with LADD on the back. As much as I liked Ladd for his leadership and community involvement, I'm glad it worked out that we kept Byfuglien instead. Although Buff has his faults, the Jets would not be the team they are without him.

:jets
My thoughts exactly

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Agree, though he moved his family to NYC (wife had a professional practice in Winnipeg), for a fraction more a contract worth only 6.9% more than Winnipeg supposedly offered him. Also, reportedly wouldn't sign a $36 million contract as a 30 year old coming off a serious injury and surgery, for a condition that many older players have a very hard time recovering from.

So, I wonder how much he wanted to stay in Winnipeg if he reportedly turned down $36 million under those circumstances.

Maybe the reason Chevy couldn't sign Ladd wasn't so much the dollar amount, since he signed for only slightly more. Maybe Ladd insisted on a contract similar to the one he signed, mostly bonus money, trade and lockout proof and Chevy, rightly so, balked.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Maybe the reason Chevy couldn't sign Ladd wasn't so much the dollar amount, since he signed for only slightly more. Maybe Ladd insisted on a contract similar to the one he signed, mostly bonus money, trade and lockout proof and Chevy, rightly so, balked.

I think Ladd was unhappy with the team's decision to take a step back after their first playoff appearance and go with youth. Perhaps he felt that this would leave the team non-competitive for longer than he was willing to wait, and just wanted to go elsewhere. No proof, he never flat out said that but reading between the lines of things he did say, that's my take on it.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think Ladd was unhappy with the team's decision to take a step back after their first playoff appearance and go with youth. Perhaps he felt that this would leave the team non-competitive for longer than he was willing to wait, and just wanted to go elsewhere. No proof, he never flat out said that but reading between the lines of things he did say, that's my take on it.

IIRC in one interview earlier in the season before his trade Ladd did say something to the effect of he was sick of waiting for "draft and develop" and he wanted to win now. That says it right there to me. He didn't exactly get his wish lol

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...

If that's the case, boy did he guess wrong! Lol.
My take is that's not the case at all. If he wanted to be on a winning team, the Islanders would not be even be in the top 10. He's won his championship. He wanted a sweetheart deal and he got it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad