Ladd Trade 2 years on...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I liked Ladd and was impressed from the getgo when he came to Winnipeg early to check out the city when it was learned that the Thrashers were relocating here. In fact, the first Jets 2.0 jersey that I bought was number 16 with LADD on the back. As much as I liked Ladd for his leadership and community involvement, I'm glad it worked out that we kept Byfuglien instead. Although Buff has his faults, the Jets would not be the team they are without him.

:jets

Yea you nailed it.......Ladd was a great introductory Captain and I felt a bound but we needed to cut ties for the good of the team. That was a sliding doors moment and Buff has been so much more valueable of a player on their most recent deals.

Reactions: DowntownBooster

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Pretty inconsequential all around. Other than us not signing him, which was great. I can't believe we had even considered it, he was quite awful.

............good guy tho ;)

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Ladd did us a favour wanting what the Jets would not pay, I don't think with Ladd and that contract the team would of enjoyed the success it achieved this year.

With our cap situation THIS year im not sure his cap hit would matter. Now going forward would obviously have been the big issue.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
I really liked Ladd and think he did an excellent job as the "C" for the team. There was quite a bit of time when the only real offense the team had was the LLW line and I think he was a pretty important piece on that line. He scored a lot of greasy goals and no one ever pushed him around. I am happy he was part of the team and am happy the Jets arn't paying 6M to him now at the expense of one of the young guys. I actually don't even care about what they got for him. Him not being in the line up may have meant we got to see KC even sooner.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Yea you nailed it.......Ladd was a great introductory Captain and I felt a bound but we needed to cut ties for the good of the team. That was a sliding doors moment and Buff has been so much more valueable of a player on their most recent deals.

A “sliding doors” moment. Nice!

Reactions: ps241

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah if the 6x6 offer is true, we lucked out big time.

Too bad he wasnt able to stick around on a more reasonable deal. The team just turned the corner and could have used his style of play this playoff run.

But we'd be screwed long term lol

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
About all that Dano has proven is that two teams were right in sending him packing and that Dano should have a good career in Europe which will come real soon!

Dano is a perfect 4th line winger and with some ice time and confidence he could be very valuable.

The deal was a good one at the time but the Stanley pick is Chevys only 1st round swing and miss and Maurice really misused Dano.

Reactions: bisonbutt and ps241

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I sort of wish Dano got claimed by Vegas, I think he deserves the best chance in the NHL, but at the time of the trade we didn't know we were going to draft Patrik Laine 2nd overall.

But trading Ladd was a super smart move and I wasn't so high on keeping him, as to which why everybody sees why now; I feel the same way about Stastny at the moment. I heard of another story I won't share on the boards as to why he needed to leave Winnipeg, but in the big picture he didn't want to, so I think the story of him commanding more money was a cover-up for it because I knew he wanted to play for the Jets. I mean I am happy with the money the Islanders gave him, but I knew he'd downgrade either way. All in all, I disliked his hype when he came to Winnipeg, I thought Byfuglien was the only player deserving of the hype coming to Winnipeg. I can remember all those Ladd jerseys in the first year as we were just appreciating getting a team back and everybody thought Kane was going to be our big superstar; little did we know it'd be Blake Wheeler.

Getting that first round pick was useless because it was used to trade up and take Logan Stanley, who we could've had at that pick. I think as of right now Stanley would be rather valuable in the sense that he'll be a cheap player to keep long-term on the blue-line that could play anywhere in the top three.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Ladd seemed like a great guy.
Wish it could have turned out differently for him.
I’m hoping he can turn it around and give the the Isles some good years but it’s very unlikely.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Someone here has consistently pointed out how lucky we (Chevy) are that Ladd turned down our offer. Even at the lower Islanders salary, Ladd is the NHL's worst contract according to this article. Some people really attacked whoever was posting that (I can't remember who it was) but that poster was 100% right on. Chevy made a bad decision in making the offer, but lucked out in Ladd making a worse decision to turn down his offer. We are a much better team for it - addition by subtraction as someone stated here already.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I sort of wish Dano got claimed by Vegas, I think he deserves the best chance in the NHL, but at the time of the trade we didn't know we were going to draft Patrik Laine 2nd overall.

But trading Ladd was a super smart move and I wasn't so high on keeping him, as to which why everybody sees why now; I feel the same way about Stastny at the moment. I heard of another story I won't share on the boards as to why he needed to leave Winnipeg, but in the big picture he didn't want to, so I think the story of him commanding more money was a cover-up for it because I knew he wanted to play for the Jets. I mean I am happy with the money the Islanders gave him, but I knew he'd downgrade either way. All in all, I disliked his hype when he came to Winnipeg, I thought Byfuglien was the only player deserving of the hype coming to Winnipeg. I can remember all those Ladd jerseys in the first year as we were just appreciating getting a team back and everybody thought Kane was going to be our big superstar; little did we know it'd be Blake Wheeler.

Getting that first round pick was useless because it was used to trade up and take Logan Stanley, who we could've had at that pick. I think as of right now Stanley would be rather valuable in the sense that he'll be a cheap player to keep long-term on the blue-line that could play anywhere in the top three.
Dano probably would've scored 20 goals for Vegas this season the way things have gone for them. :laugh:

Looking at Ladd's history heading into summer 2015, he'd produced at a 1st line rate over his career - and he definitely outperformed his $4.4M/AAV deal. Things seemed pretty rosy heading into the negotiations, and I can understand why the Jets wanted to re-sign him. But I think Ladd saw the team taking a step back after finally making the playoffs and got upset...he didn't want to stick around for the youth movement. There was a change in tone from June 2015 when both sides were optimistic about getting a deal done quickly, to the fall of 2015 heading into the season with Ladd unsigned. And then he had the worst season of his career. It seemed like a clear warning that Ladd was on the downswing. By July 1, 2016 there was no way a team should've offered him the deal that the Isles did.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Dano is a perfect 4th line winger and with some ice time and confidence he could be very valuable.

The deal was a good one at the time but the Stanley pick is Chevys only 1st round swing and miss and Maurice really misused Dano.

Dano barely has NHL speed, gets knocked down really easy and has no special skill set, question is why is he still here?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Someone here has consistently pointed out how lucky we (Chevy) are that Ladd turned down our offer. Even at the lower Islanders salary, Ladd is the NHL's worst contract according to this article. Some people really attacked whoever was posting that (I can't remember who it was) but that poster was 100% right on. Chevy made a bad decision in making the offer, but lucked out in Ladd making a worse decision to turn down his offer. We are a much better team for it - addition by subtraction as someone stated here already.
For all we know Ladd was asking for much more from the Jets and Chevy's offer was not meant to sign him, but also not insult him. We don't really know how those discussions went, or how close they were to signing Ladd. It's possible that Ladd had no interest in returning to the Jets and made that clear, but PR dictated that it looked like there serioss discussions. In the end, Ladd signed for a fraction more than 6x6, so maybe he wanted to move.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
For all we know Ladd was asking for much more from the Jets and Chevy's offer was not meant to sign him, but also not insult him. We don't really know how those discussions went, or how close they were to signing Ladd. It's possible that Ladd had no interest in returning to the Jets and made that clear, but PR dictated that it looked like there serioss discussions. In the end, Ladd signed for a fraction more than 6x6, so maybe he wanted to move.

I suppose that could be true. Although it was apparently signalled by the team to the press that a signing was imminent. Seems unlikely to me that would have been done if they didn't think that they were very close to a deal. But I agree there is no way to know for sure.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I suppose that could be true. Although it was apparently signalled by the team to the press that a signing was imminent. Seems unlikely to me that would have been done if they didn't think that they were very close to a deal. But I agree there is no way to know for sure.

Turned out to be the best deal that Chevy never made!

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Whileee

May 29, 2010
When has TNSE ever signalled anything to the media? If they did in this case, it would have been for PR purposes. They play their moves related to hockey very close to the vest.

Reactions: JetBlue420

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Not that anyone could ever know that. There are lots of rumoured trades that have looked worse.

Come on W, Ladd's level of play has declined so fast and so far down that even guys like Copp and Armia are upgrades over Ladd!

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Come on W, Ladd's level of play has declined so fast and so far down that even guys like Copp and Armia are upgrades over Ladd!

Ladd's post totals are on the decline due to lack of power play time. Six other Islander forwards have more PP TOI than him.

Last season he had a single assist on the PP after 73 games. That's right 1 point in 73 games!

He's still playing a good game 5x5, at least relative to the rest of the Isles forwards.
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 9.34.32 PM.png

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->