Ladd Trade 2 years on...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Ladd leaving rather than signing for too much, too long was the best thing for the Jets. Addition by subtraction. The actual trade looks like netting nothing in the end. We could have had the same by just letting him walk. Of course there is still a chance that Stanley has value and Dano could be traded for something but it isn't looking too promising right now.

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
The Stanley pick wasn't exactly for Ladd. We used the Ladd pick and another pick to move up for the Stanley pick.

Also offering him 36 mill over 6 years was a mistake as he got 500,000 per year less from the best offer from the otehr 29 teams

Hopefully we learn from that and Little contract for the upcoming Wheeler contract

Reactions: Bigfish

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I heard from various people that it wasn't Dano the Jets wanted in that trade but Hartman
As the article said, the trade was a win just based on the byproducts - no albatross contract, kept Buff, open slot for a young winger, etc. Would've been nice to get a Hartman too, but the return is just gravy.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As the article said, the trade was a win just based on the byproducts - no albatross contract, kept Buff, open slot for a young winger, etc. Would've been nice to get a Hartman too, but the return is just gravy.

None of that springs from the trade. It is all simply from letting Ladd walk. Not sure Hartman is much better than Dano. He has done more but he's had more opportunity. I guess he is a little faster.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Quennville wanted Dano gone. At the time it looked like a good deal. I am unsure about Dano,he can be an effective player but for whatever reason Maurice won't play him. Probably the same misgivings Quennville had with him

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Quennville wanted Dano gone. At the time it looked like a good deal. I am unsure about Dano,he can be an effective player but for whatever reason Maurice won't play him. Probably the same misgivings Quennville had with him

Yes, probably. We probably never know. CBJ were at least willing to part with him after he had been very productive for them. Who knows what is behind it?

Its time they either give Dano a real opportunity or trade him for whatever they can get.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Good value return for Ladd, but the Jets probably should have either flipped Dano earlier, or found a better way to use him. He's still an asset, though depreciated now. The Stanley pick was good value, but bad usage of the pick.

The other benefits are cap management and creating space for a couple of their best young prospects (Ehlers and Connor).

I also wonder whether shifting the leadership mantle from Ladd to Wheeler, might have been a good move for the overall team dynamic.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Good value return for Ladd, but the Jets probably should have either flipped Dano earlier, or found a better way to use him. He's still an asset, though depreciated now. The Stanley pick was good value, but bad usage of the pick.

The other benefits are cap management and creating space for a couple of their best young prospects (Ehlers and Connor).

I also wonder whether shifting the leadership mantle from Ladd to Wheeler, might have been a good move for the overall team dynamic.

I always thought Ladd was an excellent Captain from the first moment I heard he was being appointed. But regardless of how good Ladd may have been I think Wheeler has been better.

Just refreshing myself on Ladd's contract. He turned down 36 mil (6yrs) from the Jets and signed for 38.5 mil (7yrs) from the Isles. But that contract has strong movement protection built in, is front loaded and is almost all paid in the form of signing bonuses. Only 1 mil/yr in base salary, a total of 31.5 mil in bonus. That means that they can't even buy him out. With his poor play they will not be able to trade him in 2 years when his modified NTC kicks in. NYI are stuck with that contract until the end. 5 more years.

Sure glad he turned Chevy down! :laugh: His last act as a Jet was to take one for the team. Whatta' guy! :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I always thought Ladd was an excellent Captain from the first moment I heard he was being appointed. But regardless of how good Ladd may have been I think Wheeler has been better.

Just refreshing myself on Ladd's contract. He turned down 36 mil (6yrs) from the Jets and signed for 38.5 mil (7yrs) from the Isles. But that contract has strong movement protection built in, is front loaded and is almost all paid in the form of signing bonuses. Only 1 mil/yr in base salary, a total of 31.5 mil in bonus. That means that they can't even buy him out. With his poor play they will not be able to trade him in 2 years when his modified NTC kicks in. NYI are stuck with that contract until the end. 5 more years.

Sure glad he turned Chevy down! :laugh: His last act as a Jet was to take one for the team. Whatta' guy! :laugh:

I guess it depends on when the offer was made. If it was in the summer prior to his last year with us then it doesn't look as bad. For all we know the Jets pulled the offer and concentrated on Buff given his performance that season. It makes the Isle's contract look far worse given they had another year of data to go on when offering it.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
All I can say is thank god he didn't sign.

Dano was good value at the time, it's too bad they didn't find a way to maintain or increase that value since. Didn't/still don't love the Stanley move.

All worth it based on how it's moved the team forward, just from his absence and how it's been filled.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I guess it depends on when the offer was made. If it was in the summer prior to his last year with us then it doesn't look as bad. For all we know the Jets pulled the offer and concentrated on Buff given his performance that season. It makes the Isle's contract look far worse given they had another year of data to go on when offering it.

Don't know exactly how the process went but it was somewhere around the middle of that season when the Jets gave up on Ladd. The offer probably had been made months before but it sounded like the same offer was on the table until the end. The emphasis then switched to Buff who signed Feb 8/16. That date gives a clue to when the offer to Ladd was withdrawn.

Don't know when the TD was that year but it was probably not far from that Feb 8 date. Just checked, Ladd was traded Feb 25.

The way I recall it, the Jets kept trying to sign Ladd well into that crappy season. He then performed somewhat better with Chi after the trade, 12 pts in 19 games. Only 2 in 7 PO games though. Even his performance with us that year was better than he has been for the Isles. 34 in 59 was a bit disappointing but far better than what he has done since. Between us and Chi he played 78 games and scored 46 pts. The next year with NYI he had 78 games and only 31 pts. Him rebounding from 46 pts to 50-55 would not have been a surprise and NYI would probably have been somewhat satisfied with that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Don't know exactly how the process went but it was somewhere around the middle of that season when the Jets gave up on Ladd. The offer probably had been made months before but it sounded like the same offer was on the table until the end. The emphasis then switched to Buff who signed Feb 8/16. That date gives a clue to when the offer to Ladd was withdrawn.

Don't know when the TD was that year but it was probably not far from that Feb 8 date. Just checked, Ladd was traded Feb 25.

The way I recall it, the Jets kept trying to sign Ladd well into that crappy season. He then performed somewhat better with Chi after the trade, 12 pts in 19 games. Only 2 in 7 PO games though. Even his performance with us that year was better than he has been for the Isles. 34 in 59 was a bit disappointing but far better than what he has done since. Between us and Chi he played 78 games and scored 46 pts. The next year with NYI he had 78 games and only 31 pts. Him rebounding from 46 pts to 50-55 would not have been a surprise and NYI would probably have been somewhat satisfied with that.

Thanks for the summery, I couldn't remember how long they kept trying to keep him.

Hence the risk with signing older players. Sometimes you are able to get good value in Buff, other times the player declines steadily and has an anchor contract.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
All I can say is thank god he didn't sign.

Dano was good value at the time, it's too bad they didn't find a way to maintain or increase that value since. Didn't/still don't love the Stanley move.

All worth it based on how it's moved the team forward, just from his absence and how it's been filled.

About all that Dano has proven is that two teams were right in sending him packing and that Dano should have a good career in Europe which will come real soon!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thanks for the summery, I couldn't remember how long they kept trying to keep him.

Hence the risk with signing older players. Sometimes you are able to get good value in Buff, other times the player declines steadily and has an anchor contract.

That's why I am not anxious to sign aging, slowing Stastny. TBH, I am a little concerned about Wheeler too - but I can't imagine not extending him either.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That's why I am not anxious to sign aging, slowing Stastny. TBH, I am a little concerned about Wheeler too - but I can't imagine not extending him either.

I agree. I don't want to retain Stastny unless it is on our terms (short term with a manageable cap hit). Wheeler likely has about three to four real good years in him, but I fear Chevy will pay him big $ for 6 years and we will be eating a bad contract down the back stretch of it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree. I don't want to retain Stastny unless it is on our terms (short term with a manageable cap hit). Wheeler likely has about three to four real good years in him, but I fear Chevy will pay him big $ for 6 years and we will be eating a bad contract down the back stretch of it.

That's what I'm afraid of. If Wheels has 3-4 good years left we have to remember that the first 1 of those is under the existing contract. So prudently, he should only get 2-3 years additional term. I wouldn't mind Buff money for those years but it is the term that concerns me.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I liked Ladd and was impressed from the getgo when he came to Winnipeg early to check out the city when it was learned that the Thrashers were relocating here. In fact, the first Jets 2.0 jersey that I bought was number 16 with LADD on the back. As much as I liked Ladd for his leadership and community involvement, I'm glad it worked out that we kept Byfuglien instead. Although Buff has his faults, the Jets would not be the team they are without him.

:jets

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Here's Little's Career 5v5 p/60:
upload_2018-6-4_17-14-32.png

Here's Ladd (from 2007) 5v5 p/60:
upload_2018-6-4_17-14-44.png

Ladd actually outscored Little in p/60 5v5 last year. But Little wins the last 3 years aggregate. Ladd was typically more productive throughout his career. Ladd's 2 years older than Little.

Reactions: Guffman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad