Ladd - read of the ice???

Status
Not open for further replies.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
I only saw Ladd play once this season (admittedly the smallest of sample size), and when watching him I was struck by how poor his read of the ice/play appeared. Never seemed to be in the right place, he seemed to go hard out there but for no apparent reason.

I'm assuming I obvioulsy caught him on a bad day, but I'm wondering how those who have seen more of him feel about that aspect of his game? Is he a "smart" enough player to excel at the NHL level?

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
He looked so bad when I saw him that I couldn't fathom how he could be a first rounder. Guess that's why scouts try to pick up more than a game or two

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
I've seen him play for the better part of all season, and for the most part, his vision and anticipation has been the best part of his game. For some reason he always ends up with offensive opportunities from being in the right place at the right time.

I think he reads how plays develop really well, and he seems to have a knack for finding his teammates when he is in control of the play.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
From everything I've read he seems like a pretty good prospect, it just nagged at me that when I saw him he didn't look all that great.

thanks for the heads up guys, appreciated.

Anyone else with thoughts feel free to chip in as well.

L.I.RangerFan

Mar 18, 2002
Enemy Land - Long Is
Visit site
speeds said:
From everything I've read he seems like a pretty good prospect, it just nagged at me that when I saw him he didn't look all that great.

thanks for the heads up guys, appreciated.

Anyone else with thoughts feel free to chip in as well.

Maybe he just had a bad day. Maybe he was ill. Maybe someone in his family was ill.

Who knows what was bugging the kid that day. :dunno:

X-SHARKIE

Andrew Ladd is more of a high octante agressive player instead of thinking the play over. Now i'm a big fan of Ladds...but his chink in the armor is his hockey sense.

He's a dominate forechecker and hustles his tail off and does alot of other things that cancles out his poor vision and smarts. I wouldnt look to much into it.

DR. Holiday

Aaron Vickers said:
I've seen him play for the better part of all season, and for the most part, his vision and anticipation has been the best part of his game. For some reason he always ends up with offensive opportunities from being in the right place at the right time.

I think he reads how plays develop really well, and he seems to have a knack for finding his teammates when he is in control of the play.

This is bang on and is one of the main reasons that he will be a top 10 pick.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
X-SHARKIE said:
Andrew Ladd is more of a high octante agressive player instead of thinking the play over. Now i'm a big fan of Ladds...but his chink in the armor is his hockey sense.

He's a dominate forechecker and hustles his tail off and does alot of other things that cancles out his poor vision and smarts. I wouldnt look to much into it.

Have you ever seen him?

He has some of the best vision and smarts in the CHL... Where have you been?

X-SHARKIE

Not saying he's dumb.... But I think you guys are overating his hockey sense..... I think it's more hustle. Sure the rebounds seem to find him, and he picks up his man well. But I think he gets more by hustling every shift.
His Vision is great though, Ladd sees the ice extremely well and sets up his teamates for gimmes and great chances....but overal his hockey sense isn't as good as you guys make it out to be.
Much like Milan Michalek last year, his hockey sense actually isnt as strong as everyone here thinks, but he gets away with it with pure hustle.

Just my 2 cents.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
X-SHARKIE said:
Not saying he's dumb.... But I think you guys are overating his hockey sense..... I think it's more hustle. Sure the rebounds seem to find him, and he picks up his man well. But I think he gets more by hustling every shift.
His Vision is great though, Ladd sees the ice extremely well and sets up his teamates for gimmes and great chances....but overal his hockey sense isn't as good as you guys make it out to be.
Much like Milan Michalek last year, his hockey sense actually isnt as strong as everyone here thinks, but he gets away with it with pure hustle.

Just my 2 cents.

"cancles out his poor vision"

So he has great vision or poor vision?

I somehow think you haven't watched the kid play at all. Your statements are contradictory and go against what everyone else has seen in him who have seen him. Are you sure you've ever seen the name "Ladd" on the back of a jersey before?

X-SHARKIE

Cancels out vision....I can see were my phrase was mis understood.

I meant that his in your face, very agressive and hard working style cancles out the lack of great hockey sense.

I hope this helps....Don't get me wrong I love Andrew Ladd and think he's top 10 pick in this draft and he's NHL ready IMO.... His hockey sense isn't bad but I think it appears that he's smarter then he is because he's very agressive and always working.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
X-SHARKIE said:

Just my 2 cents.

Rebounds? From what I remember, the majority of his goals weren't being rebounds at all, and although I don't remember each of his 30 goals this past season, none that I do recall were rebounds.

The majority of his goals came off his shot, which is pretty good, as long as he doesn't break his stick. I've never seen a player break so many Synergy's in one season before. I know he used three different types of Easton's this season, but he must've snapped one every other home game I saw.

He's got great hustle, you've got that right. His hustle allows him to get in position to use his vision though.

For instance, in a playoff game against Red Deer, he blocked a Dion Phaneuf shot, outraced Phaneuf to the puck heading back the other way, fed a backhanded pass between Dion's legs right on to the stick of Getzlaf for a one timer short handed goal.

Hockey sense...he knows where he needs to be out there on the ice, and he knows how to use himself effectively out there on the ice.

My question would be is this; "How do you define hockey sense?"

X-SHARKIE

Ok Ok.... I'm not calling Andrew Ladd dumb or saying he lacks hockey sense...but it's not as good as others are saying... He shows good vision with the puck and finds the open man very well and hits him with smooth and hard passe...Andrew Ladd also knows his assigments well....but I think alot of his game comes from his big heart and willingness to hustle to the cows come home...This guy just busts his butt every shift...He's more of a banger then a thinking mans player.. I'm not saying he's dumb, nor he lacks solid hockey sense, but from what I can see Ladd makes his pay by earning it phsyically not mentally.

I was able to catch a game of Andrew's early in the season..I got notes of the game in a notebook.

It was the Calgary Hitmen vs the Brandon Wheat kings....Heres my thoughts on Andrew Ladd. Straite from my notes.

Andrew Ladd: Plays balls to the walls kind of hockey....in his opponets face every shift, never slowed down, drew a penalty for hooking for keeping his legs going threw it....shows huge heart and determination...Didnt take a shift off. Ability to find the open man and his passing skills are elite. Versitale on the powerplay, was used in front of the net and was a monster in front of the net, also showed ability to qb the powerplay at times. Poise with the puck, and when away from the puck is consistanly moving to get open. Set up a player for an easy breakaway goal with a nice pass. Showed a great shot on a goal of his....he roofed it top corner above the glove....scored his second goal by crashing the net and fighting hard for the rebound. Did not hit all that much, but did it when needed and doesnt mind taking a hit. Arguably the best skater out there. Smooth stride and really moves around the ice, always moving.....Defensive awareness lacked but he hustled hard in his own zone but once let Fehr get open for a breakaway. Stepped up in absence of Getzlaf.

Now as you can see the last time I saw an actual game of his was a while back..late December...and I saw him at the Top prospects game.

I say Ryan Smith kind of player.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
X-SHARKIE said:
Ok Ok.... I'm not calling Andrew Ladd dumb or saying he lacks hockey sense...but it's not as good as others are saying... He shows good vision with the puck and finds the open man very well and hits him with smooth and hard passe...Andrew Ladd also knows his assigments well....but I think alot of his game comes from his big heart and willingness to hustle to the cows come home...This guy just busts his butt every shift...He's more of a banger then a thinking mans player.. I'm not saying he's dumb, nor he lacks solid hockey sense, but from what I can see Ladd makes his pay by earning it phsyically not mentally.

I was able to catch a game of Andrew's early in the season..I got notes of the game in a notebook.

It was the Calgary Hitmen vs the Brandon Wheat kings....Heres my thoughts on Andrew Ladd. Straite from my notes.

Andrew Ladd: Plays balls to the walls kind of hockey....in his opponets face every shift, never slowed down, drew a penalty for hooking for keeping his legs going threw it....shows huge heart and determination...Didnt take a shift off. Ability to find the open man and his passing skills are elite. Versitale on the powerplay, was used in front of the net and was a monster in front of the net, also showed ability to qb the powerplay at times. Poise with the puck, and when away from the puck is consistanly moving to get open. Set up a player for an easy breakaway goal with a nice pass. Showed a great shot on a goal of his....he roofed it top corner above the glove....scored his second goal by crashing the net and fighting hard for the rebound. Did not hit all that much, but did it when needed and doesnt mind taking a hit. Arguably the best skater out there. Smooth stride and really moves around the ice, always moving.....Defensive awareness lacked but he hustled hard in his own zone but once let Fehr get open for a breakaway. Stepped up in absence of Getzlaf.

Now as you can see the last time I saw an actual game of his was a while back..late December...and I saw him at the Top prospects game.

I say Ryan Smith kind of player.

Alright. That's much more fair...

DR. Holiday

Aaron Vickers said:
Rebounds? From what I remember, the majority of his goals weren't being rebounds at all, and although I don't remember each of his 30 goals this past season, none that I do recall were rebounds.

The majority of his goals came off his shot, which is pretty good, as long as he doesn't break his stick. I've never seen a player break so many Synergy's in one season before. I know he used three different types of Easton's this season, but he must've snapped one every other home game I saw.

He's got great hustle, you've got that right. His hustle allows him to get in position to use his vision though.

For instance, in a playoff game against Red Deer, he blocked a Dion Phaneuf shot, outraced Phaneuf to the puck heading back the other way, fed a backhanded pass between Dion's legs right on to the stick of Getzlaf for a one timer short handed goal.

Hockey sense...he knows where he needs to be out there on the ice, and he knows how to use himself effectively out there on the ice.

My question would be is this; "How do you define hockey sense?"

Well said. Hey you saw him 20 times the guy who had 2 tv viewings disagrees with you. Who to believe who to believe. Lol :handclap:

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
X-SHARKIE said:
Holliday you like to put words into my mouth consistantly.

I never said listen to me,, your wrong....But I gave my opinion. Not saying Don't believe me, hell i'm learning somthing from Aaron as well....Jeez louize.

And for the record, I'm merely disagreeing with you (or was) on your view on Ladd. In no way do I mean any disrespect when I do (dis)agree.

Last edited:

DR. Holiday

Aaron Vickers said:
And for the record, I'm merely disagreeing with you (or was) on your view on Ladd. In no way do I mean any disrespect when I do agree.

Your read on both Ladd and Carson are very good by the way Aaron.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
zetterberg40 said:
Would most other people agree with this comment? Just a question, im trying to get ahold of what type of player Ladd actually is and how he plays..

Ladd plays tough down low and in front of the net, much like Smyth, but I see Smyth as much more of a finisher then a creator, where I see Ladd as much more of a creator then a finisher.

To be honest, I'd have to put a lot of thought into who I see when I look at Ladd...Smyth, though, to me, isn't one of the first ones that'll pop in my head...

For some reason I just see Smyth as more of a warrior. Not to take anything away from Ladd, but I think Smyth is willing to take more abuse on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad