Trade: [LAD/WSH] Max Scherzer, Trea Turner for Keibert Ruiz, Josiah Gray, Gerardo Carrillo, Donovan Casey

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
MVP candidate.
Yeah. He was building block. I don't get why they trade best SS not named Tatis. Meh move. Two good but not special prospects and two meh AAA guys. Terrible return.

Btw Nightmarish deadline so far for SD. Instead of Gallo, they trade for slap hitter playing over his head (Frazier). Now that Max is off market I guess they try for package of Means and Mullins.

Last edited:
Reactions: shao01

shao01

Aug 25, 2008
Montreal
So between all of Scherzer, Turner, Hand, Hudson and Schwarber

All you get is a couple of ok prospects and a bunch of scrubs; why the heck on earth does the Nationals do this? Terrible return

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So between all of Scherzer, Turner, Hand, Hudson and Schwarber

All you get is a couple of ok prospects and a bunch of scrubs; why the heck on earth does the Nationals do this? Terrible return

Sigh. First of all Schwarber who is a pending free agent is still out for another month with an injury so the red sox were basically trading for 3 weeks of Schwarber. So the fact that they got such a high prospect is great.

Second: they got a really good prospect for Hudson who sadly has covid and who knows when he will make his next appearance.

Third: let's not act like brad hand is something special, he has blown a lot of saves lately so get whatever you can for him

Feel like you for some reason were expecting the padres and red sox to give up their number 1 prospects

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
They got good return for UFA guys. But dealing Turner for that is criminal.

shao01

Aug 25, 2008
Montreal
Sigh. First of all Schwarber who is a pending free agent is still out for another month with an injury so the red sox were basically trading for 3 weeks of Schwarber. So the fact that they got such a high prospect is great.

Second: they got a really good prospect for Hudson who sadly has covid and who knows when he will make his next appearance.

Third: let's not act like brad hand is something special, he has blown a lot of saves lately so get whatever you can for him

Feel like you for some reason were expecting the padres and red sox to give up their number 1 prospects
I guess I'm ok with the prospects they got for everyone else but they could've gotten far more for Turner; guy is the 2nd best SS in the league and in his prime

He is a top 20, maybe even top 10 player in the league and they could've gotten more for him

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Braves are thrilled to see Turner head out of the division. Dude has crushed us for years.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Turner has a year and change on his contract left, time and service the Nats don't require. I imagine if he had re-signed on a team-friendly long-term deal before the deadline they wouldn't have traded him.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Awesome deal for both sides. Ruiz and Jojo will be studs, while Scherzer and Turner are studs.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
The Bauer situation may have turned out to be a good thing for the Dodgers because they would not have had to get Scherzer without the suspension and Scherzer could’ve easily landed in SD or worse, SF.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Now that Scherzer and eventually Duffy can bolster the rotation, the Dodgers might even hope that Bauer's administrative leave-limbo continues until November. If the reports are true that some team members do not want him back on the roster, the current situation helps the Dodgers avoid making a difficult decision while they have reduced the drop-off in talent.

Gruß,
BSHH

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
A largely meaningless and fun exercise: what does Max Scherzer's career look like if you tack on Randy Johnson's post-2000 seasons (his age 37+ years):

315-170 W-L
3.25 ERA
4150 innings
4800 strikeouts
1050 walks
3450 hits
1500 earned runs

I roughly rounded these, so don't quibble about minor additive differences. I'd bet around a 130 ERA+.

This is vanishingly unlikely to happen - Randy Johnson was arguably the greatest "old pitcher" ever, and Scherzer matching Johnson over the remainder of his career is significantly less likely than, say, him blowing out his elbow this week and never pitching again (which is itself unlikely, though no one should really be surprised that a mid-30's pitcher blew out his arm). It's just a fun exercise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad