OT: Lacrosse in Toronto

5und1n

Jun 17, 2011
Hey, I'm hoping someone could help me out...
I want to start playing lacrosse... I have never played before let alone held a stick but just want to start something new.
I have no idea what equipment you need as the bare essentials or where to get them,
Also, anyone know of any adult leagues (in the GTA) starting soon?
Help would be very much appreciated

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
You might want to work on your essentials before joining a league. It's not like beer league hockey where you can learn as you go, youre going to get hit and probably hit hard too. That being said, Toronto Stars is based in Scarborough, Toronto Beaches is in the Beaches, West Durham Rock is in Ajax. There's also teams out in Whitby and Oshawa as well. I'm fairly certain a couple of those leagues have an intermediate level but like I said its not easy to pick up when you can get smoked whenever basically. good luck!

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Plenty of guys do start fairly late.. How old are you? You should probably get a stick in your hand and work on catching and throwing for starters. You'll need a helmet, shoulder pads or arm pads (dont really need a shoulder cup), slash guards for your wrists, gloves, kidney pads and a cup is optional.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
When I joined Lacrosse I went straight to my rep team and they helped me out a lot and were easy on me.

Work hard at practise to earn the coaches respect so he helps you out more
Fight, hustle, hit a lot, block shots to earn your teams respect so they help you out more

Everyone loves you, everyones helping you, slowly you move from the teams goon to a regular.

Worked for me.

EDIT: But I guess I should mention, I'm 6'5 250lbs so I had it easy being a fighter.

5und1n

Jun 17, 2011
I'm 22, 5'7 ish... I've been playing soccer for 15+ years, so I wont shy down from bigger guys

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'm 22, 5'7 ish... I've been playing soccer for 15+ years, so I wont shy down from bigger guys

If you think soccer is going to prepare you for bigger guys who play lacrosse I think youre in for a wake up call

KingBuzzo

A custom title.
Nov 3, 2010
Toronto
Go to a Play it again Sports or a second hand place like that. Grab a helmet, gloves, a set of kidney guards, slash guards, shoulder pads are pretty much optional depending on the league's rules, but since you're new get some light ones to wear, and wear a jock. Always. The one time in my 15 years of playing I forgot mine at home, had a shot go off of the post, spin off the boards weird and got me right in the pills. It's not a fun experience. And if you know anyone who play's, ask if they would string up the stick for you. A well strung stick will make a world of difference for your learning. Playing with a stock strung stick will be frustrating.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Go to a Play it again Sports or a second hand place like that. Grab a helmet, gloves, a set of kidney guards, slash guards, shoulder pads are pretty much optional depending on the league's rules, but since you're new get some light ones to wear, and wear a jock. Always. The one time in my 15 years of playing I forgot mine at home, had a shot go off of the post, spin off the boards weird and got me right in the pills. It's not a fun experience. And if you know anyone who play's, ask if they would string up the stick for you. A well strung stick will make a world of difference for your learning. Playing with a stock strung stick will be frustrating.

I would not suggest a person who just started playing lacrosse to play without shoulder pads (especially since i think hes referring to box lacrosse). When I played i would hammer on peoples shoulders on defense.

I also agree with the soccer comment. Soccer is nothing like lacrosse, youll get hit and hit hard, and they can basically do it anywhere with or without the ball.

I'm going to say you'll NEED to learn how to at least throw and catch before you should start playing in a competitive league

Kershaw

I play at an indoor sports rink during summer time. I can provide link if you PM me. (Oakville region)

kerk

Apr 27, 2009
didn't see this mentioned because i guess it isn't equipment per se but you're also gonna need to pick up a mouth guard if you don't already have one because they're pretty much mandatory. i time keep for my local lacrosse league and have seen players have to sit out because they forgot their mouth guards (or they get creative: duct tape mouth guards have been used) and it sucks.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Funny lacrosse story.... When I played, I hit this guy near the gate to his bench, but as I hit him, a teammate of his opened the door and was coming out. So the guy I hit fell into the guy coming in, and they both fell back into the bench.

The best part was that the door somehow shut too. It felt pretty awesome.

I may get back into Lacrosse... have always liked it.

• Love
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

RonEllisFan

Nov 8, 2009
Rjukan
skidooelan.blogspot.com
Canada's national sport, lots think it's hockey but they are wrong look it up.

Well I'm wrong as of 1994 it's shared

Canada's National Sport
Canada's National Sport was declared as lacrosse. However, now the national sport of Canada is shared by lacrosse AND ice hockey as of 1994

5und1n

Jun 17, 2011
I guess I should have added that I'm looking more so into playing recreationally then maybe getting into competitive leagues.
And the soccer comment was more playing with a competitive edge, I'm aware i'm most likely going to get smoked wherever I play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad