Lack on Waivers

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I was wrong about who would come up, but I think it is a big mistake.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I mentioned it before. It makes sense.

If this team's invested in Gillies, it's best for him to play a tonne of games in the AHL. While it'd be nice for him to make an NHL salary, getting to see what you have in Rittich is nice too.

Who know, man, this guy could be really good in the NHL; he could suck, he could be borderline... average, who knows. Anyone who claims to know is just being an asshat, because we've never seen this guy take NHL shots in a real game.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Interesting that they sent him down immediately.

I wonder if this is more-or-less a conditioning stint for Lack. Gulutzan has been praising his play in practice for a while, but he's had two starts all season: back end of a back-to-back in St. Louis where he wasn't bad at all, and the Flames' worst game of the year where he was hung out to dry. But overall, there's been no negative sentiments towards him coming from the Flames. I personally wonder if he was asked if he'd like to do a conditioning stint, declined, so they decided to force it. I guess the telling thing will be whether he plays games down in Stockton or just warms the bench.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Interesting that they sent him down immediately.

I wonder if this is more-or-less a conditioning stint for Lack. Gulutzan has been praising his play in practice for a while, but he's had two starts all season: back end of a back-to-back in St. Louis where he wasn't bad at all, and the Flames' worst game of the year where he was hung out to dry. But overall, there's been no negative sentiments towards him coming from the Flames. I personally wonder if he was asked if he'd like to do a conditioning stint, declined, so they decided to force it. I guess the telling thing will be whether he plays games down in Stockton or just warms the bench.
While this is possible, we still don't know if he has been claimed.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I mentioned it before. It makes sense.

If this team's invested in Gillies, it's best for him to play a tonne of games in the AHL. While it'd be nice for him to make an NHL salary, getting to see what you have in Rittich is nice too.

Who know, man, this guy could be really good in the NHL; he could suck, he could be borderline... average, who knows. Anyone who claims to know is just being an asshat, because we've never seen this guy take NHL shots in a real game.
Gillies is already playing 2/3 of the games in the AHL this year and last year he faced a ton of rubber because the Heat were awful at shot suppression. I really think it is a mistake not giving Gillies the chance to prove he is ready. How can someone truly believe they are the guy when his backup gets this opportunity before him?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Gillies is already playing 2/3 of the games in the AHL this year and last year he faced a ton of rubber because the Heat were awful at shot suppression. I really think it is a mistake not giving Gillies the chance to prove he is ready. How can someone truly believe they are the guy when his backup gets this opportunity before him?

Just as a note, in 2014-2015, Matt Murray stayed in the AHL (starter) while Jeff Zatkoff (backup) went up the NHL for a spot start. He turned out fine. I think you're making a mountain out a mole hill.

Give Rittich a few days of a nice salary, give him a spot start, see what you got, give him some confidence that he could be an NHL'er... Not sure what the negative is here. If Gillies is a broken man for not getting the call, is he really starter material?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just as a note, in 2014-2015, Matt Murray stayed in the AHL (starter) while Jeff Zatkoff (backup) went up the NHL for a spot start. He turned out fine. I think you're making a mountain out a mole hill.

Give Rittich a few days of a nice salary, give him a spot start, see what you got, give him some confidence that he could be an NHL'er... Not sure what the negative is here. If Gillies is a broken man for not getting the call, is he really starter material?
I'm just expressing I think it is a mistake. That's all. Also in 14/15 Murray was an AHL rookie that was splitting starts close to 50-50 with Zatkoff

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sounds like Lack has cleared and is on his way to his way to join the Heat in Tucson

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just in case my opinions of Rittich are muddied by some of my comments, I do like him, I just don't feel like he's ready nor deserves a shot before Gillies. I would be very happy if he made me eat my words.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Lack wasn't even that bad. Kind of surprised they waived him this early. This is basically what Rittich was brought here for wasn't it? Depth at the G position? Why not bring him up and give him a shot to be the backup, plus giving Gillies plenty of starts in the A.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I really hope this isn't the end of the road for Lack. I really wanted it to work out for him here cause he's a genuinely good guy with a great attitude. Even when he was playing for the Canucks it was hard to dislike him. (Jim Hughson on the other hand....)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad