Lack on Waivers

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
89HANHg.gif

Call up Rittich

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Likelihood of being sent down to Stockton if he clears I imagine.
He needs to find his game down there. Bring Rittich up so that Gillies can continue to play the lions-share of games down there and we can see what we have in him.

That or bring Gillies up if you want him as your NHL backup. Neither guy instills much confidence for me, to be honest.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
For the record, I think Lack clears and is not sent down. I think this is more to light a fire under him, it puts him on notice that if he shits the bed this weekend, then he may lose his job.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I still can’t believe we traded for him :laugh:

Gillies or Rittich make more sense anyway.

Personally I would go with Rittich. He’s a little further along and Gillies needs to play more this year so we really need to know what we have before we graduate parsons.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We have to have the only fanbase insane enough to think that giving the AHL backup an NHL job before the AHL starter is a good idea. Talk about sending a bad message to your AHL starter.

Reactions: Bronco Horvat

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We have to have the only fanbase insane enough to think that giving the AHL backup an NHL job before the AHL starter is a good idea. Talk about sending a bad message to your AHL starter.

Or that the AHL starter should still be playing rather than the backup that'll get into 1 NHL game every 3 weeks?
I know Gillies would rather have the money sitting on the bench though :laugh:

I think everyone understands your displeasure about having Rittich up here, but it does make more sense than Gillies. Unless you want to do a spot start for Gillies, return him and have Rittich sitting on the bench; could also move Lack up and down too so both guys continue to develop in the AHL and get spot starts in the NHL when needed.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Surprising that they waived him so quickly.

It's not a guarantee they'll send him down but they are obviously prepared to lose him for nothing more than the nominal waiver fee.

Could also be at the request of a team looking to trade for him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Or that the AHL starter should still be playing rather than the backup that'll get into 1 NHL game every 3 weeks?
I know Gillies would rather have the money sitting on the bench though :laugh:

I think everyone understands your displeasure about having Rittich up here, but it does make more sense than Gillies. Unless you want to do a spot start for Gillies, return him and have Rittich sitting on the bench; could also move Lack up and down too so both guys continue to develop in the AHL and get spot starts in the NHL when needed.
I think we are reaching a point in our schedule where the backup will be playing more. Plus the backup goalie still gets alot of work in practice and faces NHL shooters. I think Gillies is up for the task personally.

If you call up Gillies now, you can start him against Colorado on the 25th, Montreal on Dec 7th, Vancouver on Dec 17th. If he is playing well you could give him a tougher opponent in San Jose on Dec 28th. It's only 4 starts, but 4 starts plus facing NHL shooters on a daily basis will help him.

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
I still can’t believe we traded for him :laugh:

Gillies or Rittich make more sense anyway.

Personally I would go with Rittich. He’s a little further along and Gillies needs to play more this year so we really need to know what we have before we graduate parsons.

Me too. One of the few moves by Trevliving that I do not like. Lack can't be gone soon enough.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Surprising that they waived him so quickly.

It's not a guarantee they'll send him down but they are obviously prepared to lose him for nothing more than the nominal waiver fee.

Could also be at the request of a team looking to trade for him.

I'm hoping this is it.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Assuming one of the two with Stockton are recalled, I'd opt for Rittich. Gillies still has time to develop, I'd like to see what the Flames have in Rittich. If he does well, bring him back as a backup. If not, cut him lose in the offseason.

Edit: Granted, this will change if they decide they need to rest Smith a bit more. If they actually plan on playing the backup more, I'd go with Gillies.

Last edited:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
From a development standpoint I'd say it makes sense, given that Rittich might actually be good enough to be an NHL backup. Gillies hasn't played that many AHL games yet, and I think the best thing for a goalie is lots of shots in game situations rather than being the whipping boy in practice and playing a handful of games throughout the year.

It might send the wrong message, or perhaps if they explain the reasoning to Gillies, he understands where they're coming from.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
From a development standpoint I'd say it makes sense, given that Rittich might actually be good enough to be an NHL backup. Gillies hasn't played that many AHL games yet, and I think the best thing for a goalie is lots of shots in game situations rather than being the whipping boy in practice and playing a handful of games throughout the year.

It might send the wrong message, or perhaps if they explain the reasoning to Gillies, he understands where they're coming from.
So Gillies' 53 AHL games and NCAA National Championship experience isn't enough, but Rittch is after 37 AHL games and a couple seasons in a 5th rate European league is. Makes perfect sense to me. Rittich is the Nakladal.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The team has no confidence in Lack. He is finished.

I am not sure why the argument between Gillies and Rittich. It will sort itself out. I think Gillies will get the first shot though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad