lack of right handed shooters

Phil18

Jul 13, 2013
Montréal
Do you think it will impact the team only having one Right handed shooter wich is Alfredsson? We have Eaves and Samuelsson too but i don't think they will be in a starting line up maybe Eaves but not Samy. We also have White and Brunner but i don't think they will play for us neither of them. So what you guys think about this ?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You should remove the word North from that sentence.

A large majority of Canadian hockey players shoot left.

Seems like the majority of Canadian D are righties? Or maybe it's just the good ones...

Thought of Doughty, Pieterangelo, Subban, Letang, Green, Seabrook, Weber off the top of my head.

You're right about USA though when I was making my mock-up roster it seemed like 75% of the forwards were righties then about 50% of the D as well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Back to the topic at hand...

Would really love it if we had more righties. Picking up Alfie was nice, Iginla or Ryder would have been sweet too.

I really really wanted Semin 2 years ago, can't believe so many teams missed out on that chance.

In an ideal scenario we would have a righty on each of our top 3 scoring lines and 2 or 3 on the right side for defense pairings.

Hopefully in the future we have Ferraro, Frk, Jarnkrok and then Sproul, and one of Jensen/Marchenko. That would give us a nice contingent of righties to go along with our lefty dominant team. Really wish Mantha or Jurco was a righty, but oh well.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI

Yeah...maybe

And the reason for this has got to be that in America, basically all kids play Baseball, and all right handers uses the bat's like a right-hand shot in hockey

Also golf is rather big in the States, especially in the upper middle class, there you also hold the club as a right-hand shot in hockey.

Anyone willing to bet against me?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Could use a couple more, some are in the pipeline. That is hopefully where this answer is coming from shortly, would love a right-handed D, not as concerned about the forwards, Alfie will provide a right-handed shot for the PP this year. Hurry up Jarnkrok!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah...maybe

And the reason for this has got to be that in America, basically all kids play Baseball, and all right handers uses the bat's like a right-hand shot in hockey

Also golf is rather big in the States, especially in the upper middle class, there you also hold the club as a right-hand shot in hockey.

Easier to find equipment no doubt. I started hockey with a right handed stick, interestingly enough switched around 7 or 8 to a left handed stick and became much better with my dominant hand on top. Of course I was a switch hitter in baseball and was very good with my left foot in soccer, so it could just be my comfort level playing sports that way. I honestly think playing both ways when super young is beneficial, being ambidextrous is always a benefit in virtually every sport, makes you harder to guard against and helps your options and understanding of the game.

Madic

May 21, 2008

Could very well be on to something, but many right handers golf and bat left. Not terribly uncommon.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Easier to find equipment no doubt. I started hockey with a right handed stick, interestingly enough switched around 7 or 8 to a left handed stick and became much better with my dominant hand on top. Of course I was a switch hitter in baseball and was very good with my left foot in soccer, so it could just be my comfort level playing sports that way. I honestly think playing both ways when super young is beneficial, being ambidextrous is always a benefit in virtually every sport, makes you harder to guard against and helps your options and understanding of the game.

I am right handed and that is strength side yet batted and learned everything from father a leftie and had speed so left was smarter etc..

If needed power switched around. Will say was as strong left or right in basketball and most interesting thing to me is still shoot left handed pool, used to set up people playing right hand than doing switch after a bet lol. So was ingrained into me at early age is nice in golf to be able to chip putt hit a shot either way have two way club for that a chipper which has saved a lot of rounds lol. Hockey never tried left cause was soo much more power on right and thought that was most important in that game with slap shot etc...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Datsyuk has maybe the second best "right-handed" shot (his world-best left backhander) on this team. That has eased the team problem a lot.

Could be that. I bat from right at Finnish baseball and I'm lefty at ice-hockey/floorball. And I'm that typical right-handed guy in normal life.

I've tried golf only once. That didn't went well from either side. :D

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Seems like the majority of Canadian D are righties? Or maybe it's just the good ones...

Thought of Doughty, Pieterangelo, Subban, Letang, Green, Seabrook, Weber off the top of my head.

You're right about USA though when I was making my mock-up roster it seemed like 75% of the forwards were righties then about 50% of the D as well.

We've got this guy named Ryan Sproul. He's kind of good. :D

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Could be that. I bat from right at Finnish baseball and I'm lefty at ice-hockey/floorball. And I'm that typical right-handed guy in normal life.

The USA seems to follow the European model where the dominant hand goes at the top of the stick. Since the vast majority of people are right handed this means they shoot left handed in hockey.

Canada is old school and many hockey guys also play baseball. So Canadians are more likely to shoot right since they hit and throw right in baseball.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

The vast majority of humans are right-handed, and thus shoot left.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I hear you, man. I hear you.

I grew up shooting right, being right handed, but when I switched to goal, I had to learn how to stickhandle lefty as I caught left. And that's when I realized I probably should have been lefty all along, because it felt pretty good.

I think American hockey coaches are all screwy for letting kids "do what feels right" at age 4. Or treating it like a baseball bat. Like dude, I'm 4. I just picked the easiest way. They should have been all like "Well your dominant hand is right, so you should poke check, carry the puck, and defend lanes with that hand. So you're a left shot!"

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Future should be a lot better because of our own kids.

Right-handers:

Järnkrok
Frk
Pulkkinen
Ferraro
Glendening
Callahan

Sproul
Jensen
Marchenko
Nicastro

Some of the guys should get in NHL.

Edit:

5 years ago only right-hander in our prospect system was Jan Mursak and 1994 drafted Mathieu Dandenault is our last home-grown right-hander who had a career with Wings.

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
We lack a big forward shooting right. Frk is thick but he's gonna be average sized in the NHL, if he makes it. I'd look to make some prospect/young NHL player swaps to adress that. Looking better on defense.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The USA seems to follow the European model where the dominant hand goes at the top of the stick. Since the vast majority of people are right handed this means they shoot left handed in hockey.

Canada is old school and many hockey guys also play baseball. So Canadians are more likely to shoot right since they hit and throw right in baseball.

I just assume you mean the other way around.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
Yeah...maybe

Makes sense, not sure what the bet would be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad