Lack of Offense from Back-end

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How about the lack of offense from this team's bottom 6?

Our top 6 scorers all have 20 or more points. After that it falls to Pageau who has netted a very respectable 8 goals (on 48 shots, 32 GP) and 11 total points. Zack Smith has 9 points, 7 of which or goals on a dismal 26 shots on net with on average 12:32 of ice time in 31 games.

After that it's just atrocious if you look at the guys who've been playing for the club.

Lazar: 29GP 2G 6P 33S 13:49 toi/GP -19 corsi
Chiasson: 32GP 2G 5P 43S 14:07 toi/GP -10 corsi
Neil: 32GP 1G 3P 30S 8:30 toi/GP -3 corsi (seriously, how has he played every game? 2 of those points came in one game)
Dzuirzynski: 7GP 2A 9S 11:05 toi/GP -27 corsi
Borowiecki 32GP 1A 10S 14:42 toi/GP -21 corsi

It's no secret that Macarthur, Michalek and Prince all have far better numbers. 2 of them aren't available... the other is inexplicably absent.

The bottom 6 for this club after Cameron took over was a strength. It is now sinking the team. The defense hasn't changed personnel (aside from Gryba who was very underrated here). The difference now is that there are many more oportunities for the defensive weakness of this club to be exploited when we can't carry and drive possession. We'd all like an upgrade at D but this is something they can realistically address without sacrificing major assets.

We are at a disadvantage every single bottom 6 shift. This isn't just on Cameron, this is on Murray. They need to make changes here NOW.

I think that we aren't likely to add to our bottom six with Michalek coming back soon (I believe the timeline for a fractured finger is 3-6 weeks, so a week to 4 weeks away) and potentially MacArthur at some point too, we've essentially got help on the way already.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think that we aren't likely to add to our bottom six with Michalek coming back soon (I believe the timeline for a fractured finger is 3-6 weeks, so a week to 4 weeks away) and potentially MacArthur at some point too, we've essentially got help on the way already.

I don't think this will be fixed with just one player though, probably at least 2, maybe 3. Plus we have 6 more games before the end of the year. Good chance both guys aren't back before then. 6 games can make or break a season quite easily. This trend cannot continue if we have any aspirations for a playoff berth.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Because he's had a revolving door of terrible dmen. He needs an nhler on his left side.

Exactly. Karlsson's play was hindered playing with Cowen, Boro and Wier. Imagine how *****ing 21 year old Ceci feels.

Our top 6 scorers all have 20 or more points. After that it falls to Pageau who has netted a very respectable 8 goals (on 48 shots, 32 GP) and 11 total points. Zack Smith has 9 points, 7 of which or goals on a dismal 26 shots on net with on average 12:32 of ice time in 31 games.

After that it's just atrocious if you look at the guys who've been playing for the club.

Neil: 32GP 1G 3P 30S 8:30 toi/GP -3 corsi (seriously, how has he played every game? 2 of those points came in one game)

It's no secret that Macarthur, Michalek and Prince all have far better numbers. 2 of them aren't available... the other is inexplicably absent.

The bottom 6 for this club after Cameron took over was a strength. It is now sinking the team. The defense hasn't changed personnel (aside from Gryba who was very underrated here). The difference now is that there are many more oportunities for the defensive weakness of this club to be exploited when we can't carry and drive possession. We'd all like an upgrade at D but this is something they can realistically address without sacrificing major assets.

We are at a disadvantage every single bottom 6 shift. This isn't just on Cameron, this is on Murray. They need to make changes here NOW.

This is not much of a concern for me because we actually have the pieces needed to fix up the bottom 6 internally or even externally.

It's just *****ed up management. Including Bryan Murray letting go Condra.

In no world should Murray have tampered with what was an excellent 3rd line with Pageau and Condra. He wasn't even expensive and wanted to be hear. Letting Condra go is one the stupidest thing we've done in years.

We need to recall Dzingel and get him 3-4 games to spark the bottom 6 and get Prince back in there. Otherwise absolutely no excuse.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Exactly. Karlsson's play was hindered playing with Cowen, Boro and Wier. Imagine how *****ing 21 year old Ceci feels.

This is not much of a concern for me because we actually have the pieces needed to fix up the bottom 6 internally or even externally.

It's just *****ed up management. Including Bryan Murray letting go Condra.

In no world should Murray have tampered with what was an excellent 3rd line with Pageau and Condra. He wasn't even expensive and wanted to be hear. Letting Condra go is one the stupidest thing we've done in years.

We need to recall Dzingel and get him 3-4 games to spark the bottom 6 and get Prince back in there. Otherwise absolutely no excuse.

I'm okay with letting Condra go... providing that means opening spots for our prospects to make their way onto the roster. Instead we still have Neil taking regular shifts, Boro playing forward and Chiasson struggling in Condra's old role with Prince sitting in the press box and Puempel in the minors. That isn't acceptable when we have all these injuries. I thought the organization figured it out after Greening. Apparently not.

There's such a conflicted direction for this team. They wanted to play the young D to let them find their way without looking for outside help. Fine. This to me means we're still in the development stages of the rebuild. Do the same with our forward prospects. That hasn't happened. Instead we need the veterniness of Neil in the bottom 6 and then Smith on scoring lines. Goddammit Sens. Put those scoring prospects in there and let them get experience. I can live with losing when there's a vision but Murray and Cameron aren't managing this team like we're building towards something. Its just chaos.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yea, our success in 2012-2013 was primarily cause we kept injecting fresh young guys in bottom 6 who seemed to provide a spark every game.

We are relying on terrible veterans in bottom 6 currently when we have much better options.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Bottom 6 has been terrible ,and yep we do need changes now not later after the xmas break this team needs a bottom 6 overhaul .Call up some kids and give them a shot now ,because this just isnt working

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, secondary scoring at forward and defense is a huge concern for our team. Need to make some tweaks to the team.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think we have only seen about two trades so far in the NHL this season & I'm not so sure we will see any more until the trade deadline so it seems the only way to improve the team could be internally. The obvious problem with that is budget if the players you want to replace are not on the injury list & the roster limit is 23 players. The other problem with that is that most want to replace veteran players with younger inexperienced players who the coaching staff don't necessarily trust defensively. I don't see much changing unfortunately although I do think that at some point other Bingo players could get a look in Ottawa such as Dzingel & Robinson & maybe O'Dell & Kostka. I would like to see Paul & Lindberg as well but not sure if those two will make it up here this yr but we might not see anyone until after the trade deadline on February 29th.

I wonder if BM is considering taking a run at Ryan Johanson if he is available? He is an example of a very good young centre who may need a change & could centre one of our top two lines for the next decade. It may cost a lot but Ottawa has some assets to give including a 1st round pick next season in what experts are saying could be a weak draft. Yes, there is always a diamond to be found at the draft but Johanson at 23 yrs old is already NHL proven & has had at least one very good season. He could turn out to be another Turris type situation for Ottawa & could be worth the cost to get him. Should be interesting to watch what happens with him although I imagine Torts is taking the hard love approach management want him to take with Johanson in the hope that it makes him mature & a better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad