Lack of offence...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Because that's the systems teams play. If you look at the VHL the scoring is even lower there. It's the Russian way nowadays, sort of. Even though the situation is very similar in Finland or Sweden as well. It would probably be like that in even more leagues but I guess at lower levels people feel defensive systems are harder to execute well.

I remember Bilyaletdinov (one of most famous Russian coaches) saying that he wants to see his team winning 3-1 with one goal being scored 5v5, 1 on PP and an empty netter. Nobody wants score to be 6-4 and the big ice gives plenty of opportunities to lock opponents down. Also for teams lacking talent, keeping the score close obviously means better chances than playing run and gun against more talented teams.

It was also sharpened by talent disparity. I mean looking at that Riga roster, who was ever going to score those goals.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Watch a shoot out sometime and you'll have your answer. In 10 shots, most times you'll have one goal scored.

But most teams lack the offensive depth to be able to compete night after night scoring 4 and 5 goals a game, so instead they try to win every game 2-1.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Can someone explain to me why there is such a lack of offence in the KHL? Riga Dynamo has 52 goals in 33 games so far. Most teams are averaging under 3 goals a game and 7 teams are under 2 goals a game.

The two monster teams SKA and CSKA accumulated most of the league's offensive talent. It is REALLY that simple.

Reactions: Exarz and Fixxer

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It really isn't, it has been that way for years, before SKA became dominant and CSKA appeared on the map at all. In 15/16, for example, Neftekhimik made the playoffs scoring 2.16 goals per game. SKA meanwhile, finished 6th in the West. In 13/14 Loko made it with whopping 2.01 gaols per game while CSKA was just one step above them in the standings.

Surely talent disparity adds to it but nothing is "that simple".

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It really isn't, it has been that way for years, before SKA became dominant and CSKA appeared on the map at all. In 15/16, for example, Neftekhimik made the playoffs scoring 2.16 goals per game. SKA meanwhile, finished 6th in the West. In 13/14 Loko made it with whopping 2.01 gaols per game while CSKA was just one step above them in the standings.

Surely talent disparity adds to it but nothing is "that simple".
Picking one team that made the playoffs with GPG of this and that is cherry picking. WSH won the President's scoring in bunchesback then and failed to win the cup so what?

Scoring in the KHL is hostorically lower than in the NHL. It's the big rink. But the disparity now causes a drop off compared to what it was previously.

With all the stupid rule changes the NHL makes they will get more scoring... and much more boring hockey. It already is. So I am nt worried about lower scoring in general. Low scoring games can be entertaining. The prbelm now is for the KHL there are whole teams without legit offensive talent at all.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Shipachev being back with the SKA sure will help League Scoring... 14 points (7 goals - 7 assists) in 9 games. Sure, playing in a great team + Kovalchuk has to make a difference... - Nigels Dawes leads the league in goals, 31 in 34 games.. Kovalchuk has 27 I believe... Then, Gusev in the top 5 with only 16 in 40 games... I mean, sure, there isn't that much goal scoring outside of a few stars.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Big ice hockey is a lower scoring game.

There are far less fluke goals as there generally is less traffic in front of the goal.

This is exactly why European hockey philosophy differs from that of NA.

NA:
"When you put the puck on net, good things happen."

Europe:
"Don't shoot until you have a good opportunity."

These philosophies fit best in their respective environments.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Terrible officiating is a problem as well. There's too much clutching and slashing going on without the refs calling them out (unless you're playing against SKA).

Reactions: Exarz

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
P.A. Parenteau has 12 points in his 11 KHL games so far. Yet lately he's been playing 11 minutes per game. Like I said, that's the Russian way, they don't believe in outscoring your opponent. Kind of same with Kaprizov getting 14 minutes per game on CSKA.

In the NHL those would be the guys who play 20 minutes per game, in the KHL you score a goal and you get stapled to the bench because it's time to protect the lead now.

Reactions: aonb

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
P.A. Parenteau has 12 points in his 11 KHL games so far. Yet lately he's been playing 11 minutes per game. Like I said, that's the Russian way, they don't believe in outscoring your opponent. Kind of same with Kaprizov getting 14 minutes per game on CSKA.

In the NHL those would be the guys who play 20 minutes per game, in the KHL you score a goal and you get stapled to the bench because it's time to protect the lead now.

it's beyond me as well. absolutely no logic and i hate it so much

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
Can someone explain to me why there is such a lack of offence in the KHL? Riga Dynamo has 52 goals in 33 games so far. Most teams are averaging under 3 goals a game and 7 teams are under 2 goals a game.
What there's to explain? Top teams has top top players and bottom teams hasn't. Top players score plenty and avarage or lover level player score much less. And the hockey in Europe is played on a bigger ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->