Lack of Kansas City Scouts merchandise?

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I was just wondering why it is so hard to find KC Scout merchandise. it is fairly easy to find replica Hartford Whaler stuff, and Quebec Nordique items, and before they returned, Winnipeg Jets stuff. But I have only ever come across perhaps two KC Scout items.

Does anyone know the reason? Is it a question of popularity, or is it some legal issue?

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I was just wondering why it is so hard to find KC Scout merchandise. it is fairly easy to find replica Hartford Whaler stuff, and Quebec Nordique items, and before they returned, Winnipeg Jets stuff. But I have only ever come across perhaps two KC Scout items.

Does anyone know the reason? Is it a question of popularity, or is it some legal issue?

Jerseys and memorabilia weren't as produced as much when the Scouts were around for their brief existence. And being that their existence was extremely brief, they aren't all that relevant in the hockey world. The Nords, Jets, Whalers, North Stars, etc, were all around for a couple decades or so and had good followings, and are a lot more recent than the Scouts as well. The Scouts unfortunately were a blip on the radar that's long forgotten.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Popularity. Kansas City suffers because of the lack of nostalgia; they lasted two seasons, and the logo and color scheme is decidedly....um...interesting. I'm fine with it myself. I actually have a polo shirt that's royal blue, red, and yellow, and my wife swears that she's going to mutilate it in the laundry so I'll never wear it in public again. I think last time, she said I looked like a box of crayons with a gray tip (since my hair is graying).

Kansas City has had jerseys produced as part of the NHL Vintage series by CCM, which sold poorly. There was also a Mitchell & Ness vintage one with Wilf Paiment's #9, which also sold poorly. The short time frame the team existed meant that there was no identity, and the logos/colors weren't any more interesting than some of the other looks at the time.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
It doesn't help that they don't have exactly the same train-wreck reputation as the Seals. That overshadows them a bit too.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Well, the Seals did have 2 playoff appearances in 9 seasons although they never had a winning record.

As others have said, the Scouts weren't around long enough to build a mythos around them, even a losing one. Despite posting one of the worst debut seasons of all time, they were still overshadowed by the Capitals, who posted THE worst season of all time. While KC was losing games 5-1, Washington was busy losing games 10-1.

The Caps were busy being the equivalent of the 1962 Mets, while KC were merely the 1962 Colt 45's...

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Thanks for the responses. I thought it may have been some licensing issue. I always liked the color scheme and logo! I take it it is the same as the Cleveland Barons.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I liked their uniforms too. I'd say the Barons are more popular even though they also lasted 2 years, since they were the transplanted Seals team.

I was a member of the Barons booster club by the way, even though I live in Long Island. There was an article about the club in the Cleveland Plain Dealer and it mentioned they had a member in Long Island and printed my name, which I thought unusual since why would anyone in Cleveland need to know the name of some L.I. teenager that was a Barons booster...

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I liked their uniforms too. I'd say the Barons are more popular even though they also lasted 2 years, since they were the transplanted Seals team.

I was a member of the Barons booster club by the way, even though I live in Long Island. There was an article about the club in the Cleveland Plain Dealer and it mentioned they had a member in Long Island and printed my name, which I thought unusual since why would anyone in Cleveland need to know the name of some L.I. teenager that was a Barons booster...

The Barons also have a huge boost, which is their 1976-77 jerseys with the sleeve numbers on the Ohio patch. If they'd worn their bland 1977-78 style both years, no one would give a damn about the Barons either.

That said, the Barons are still very popular in Ohio. There have been multiple incarnations of the name going back into the 1930s; it was Cleveland who first explored and tried to get into the NHL, all the way up to threatening lawsuits. The current trademark holder is someone in the Fritsche family.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
The Seals kinda came around again with the snapback hat fad. I'm sure the Scouts will make an appearance as well.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I'm actually one of the relatively few people that saw them play live and they were like a short bad dream. Did I really see them?
Did you see them at home at Kemper Arena or on the road? I regret never seeing them on the road in their short tenure.

Some interesting tidbits about the Scouts:

Denis Dupere had 2 seasons in hell - he played for the 74-75 Caps, worst of all time. The following season he wound up on the second-year Scouts, who actually posted a worse record than their debut season at 12-56-12.

The second-year Scouts won their 12th game on February 7, against Washington. They didn't win another game FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR, going 0-21-6!!!

KingJet*

There are some at royal sports in winnipeg, lots of the old merch is there

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
ebays got several jerseys & crests listed, links to the aforementioned Mitchell & Ness along with a few others...

87SidKid87

Apr 21, 2018
The Scouts had the most beautiful and iconic logo in NHL history. I look forward to their return in and updated/modernized uni. I want the same uniform; but have that awesome logo the size of the Penguins logo. #KCSCOUTS2021

Reactions: Troy Treasure

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The Ice Jerseys site has limited sizes of a 1975 KC Scouts replica away jersey. Probably means there's no licensing issue.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I’m the proud owner of a KC Scouts CCM throwback. Love the questions that come up when I wear it. Most hockey fans don’t even realize the team existed.

I'm surprised someone hasn't done a "mashup" jersey yet with the Devils logo on the Scouts or Rockies jersey, or a Scouts/Rockies logo on a Devils jersey...

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
The Kansas City Scouts definitely had one of the more unique uniforms. I really liked the color scheme they used and when the franchise transferred to Colorado they kept the same colors even though the overall design changed. I guess when the franchise relocated once again to New Jersey to become the Devils, the color selection was limited given the name chosen. I suppose the color change from the original red, green and white when the team arrived in New Jersey to that of red, black and white made sense to better reflect the team name. I do wonder if the fans in New Jersey would have preferred a name other than Devils so they could have kept the colors used in Kansas City and Colorado.

Scouts1.png

Rockies3.png

Devils05.png

Devils09.png

:jets

Reactions: Killion

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
I’m the proud owner of a KC Scouts CCM throwback. Love the questions that come up when I wear it. Most hockey fans don’t even realize the team existed.

I have the white one in my collection and like to wear it on winter skates on the Rideau Canal here in Ottawa, lol.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
The Scouts logo is sort of an indistinguishable blob from a distance, if you didn't know anything about the team name. Regardless, I love the colors and striping on both jerseys. If the team had remained in KC, I could see that logo gradually being tweaked over the years the way the Senators and Sharks logos were.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
The Scouts logo is sort of an indistinguishable blob from a distance, if you didn't know anything about the team name. Regardless, I love the colors and striping on both jerseys. If the team had remained in KC, I could see that logo gradually being tweaked over the years the way the Senators and Sharks logos were.

You're probably right about that SealsFan. It was an interesting looking logo and was pretty good at the time though.

kcscouts.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
You're probably right about that SealsFan. It was an interesting looking logo and was pretty good at the time though.

Yeah I love that logo, color & design scheme, KC's complete outfit, uniforms.... did not however like the semi adaptation nor the logo of the Rockies when they moved to Denver though I do like, prefer the name Rockies to Avalanche.... Not big climatic names, teams named after Mothers Natures fury or whatever though some do work & extremely well.... Tampa Bay Lightning, Carolina Hurricanes.... Favorite All Time Olympic/Intl jerseys are many, the Winnipeg Falcons, various incarnations of Team USA, Sweden & Germany etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: DowntownBooster

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
I always preferred the Rockies style to the Avs. Very simple and clean, and that logo screams 70s, geometric yet round, with enough colors to capture attention.

I also adore the Devils red & Green, much more than the black. It was visually popping and gave them their own look rather than yet another team that wears black for no other reason than to wear black. People don't get that the green was in reference to both the garden State and the pine barrens where the Jersey Devil is said to live. It made sense more than random black.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad