OT: Lack of Jets on Team Canada WJC Tournament

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I like that we keep getting great foreign players, but I wish we had some Canadian prospects to watch.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Ok..we had three on team Canada and five in the tournament....not five on one team...I think...I'm lost today..apologies.

Other teams:

Chase De Leo...USA
Sami Niku....Finland
Nik Ehlers....Denmark

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Didn't mean to imply that I regret the trade. Generally I loath trading 1sts. Even last year it wasn't something I wanted to do. I was ok with it because Stastny seemed like a rare TD acquisition, in that he actually made a meaningful impact. He was big for us in the Nashville series. Generally speaking though, I'd rather trade lower picks or prospects for TD depth. Or if you're moving a 1st, use it in a deal for a younger player with term.

Stastny helped us last year, but now we're paying the bill is all I'm saying. (and that's under the assumption that a guy we drafted in that spot really turns out good. so far, Veleno is looking pretty darn good).

There is no denying that Stastny played well for us and fit well. But we can't assume to know what would have happened if he had not been there. Without even getting into the metaphysics of the effects of any single change on the future, :laugh: Mau swapped Connor and Ehlers for 1 game, IIRC just before Stastny showed up and solved ELL. We've seen this year the difference that could make. Without Stastny, maybe we see that in the POs, and who knows where we end up?

Meanwhile Veleno might be the difference between a deep run/cup or not in the last 7 of the next 9 years, or more. Of course, that is far from guaranteed too, but I like the chances of him being a major contributor, for many years, not just one.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
it wasn't too long ago we had five one one team Canada junior team..this is the natural ebb and flow of graduating prospects..

I believe the number was 6 in 2015, but that was in the whole tournament. Morrissey, Comrie, Petan for Canada and 3 others on other teams. Ehlers for Denmark, Chase De Leo for USA and Michael Spacek for Czechia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad