OT: Lack of Jets on Team Canada WJC Tournament

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Just seeing the rosters being announced for WJC camps. It's unfortunate that the Jets really haven't had much presence on team Canada over the last couple years.

To me, part of what made the tournament fun to watch was when we had our own guys playing there.

I know Jets are all about BPA, but would be nice to see some Jets content on team Canada again.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Chisholm at camp more than Phillips, Crotty and probably Dobson at this point. Too bad he was looked over, there's always next year!

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just seeing the rosters being announced for WJC camps. It's unfortunate that the Jets really haven't had much presence on team Canada over the last couple years.

To me, part of what made the tournament fun to watch was when we had our own guys playing there.

I know Jets are all about BPA, but would be nice to see some Jets content on team Canada again.
You might have to cheer for the US because it does seem we draft alot of them . :laugh:

Reactions: wasup

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We really only had a shot at defence being on the team but this year has some pretty remarkable defenceman in junior like Bouchard, Smith, Brook, Addison and Dobson. Woo getting cut from the camp roster tells you all you need to know. It's a deep squad on the back end and they likely have a pretty good idea who they are taking.

Reactions: irunthepeg

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
That's okay, we had a very good run and can't complain about that. For all we know we could be bound to have the start to another good run come between now and the next three seasons.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
In the last 2 drafts, the Jets have taken 2 Canadian players in the top 150 selections.

2017 - Jonathan Kovacevic 3rd round, 74th overall
2018 - Declan Chisholm 5th round, 150th overall.

Kovacevic is now 21, so wouldn't qualify

Likely to see a Finn in Vesalainen (2017 - 24th overall) and possible Virtanen (2017 - 105th overall) and a Swede Gustafsson (2018 60th overall) playing however :)

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
In the last 2 drafts, the Jets have taken 2 Canadian players in the top 150 selections.

Likely to see a Finn in Vesalainen (2017 - 24th overall) and possible Virtanen (2017 - 105th overall) and a Swede Gustafsson (2018 60th overall) playing however :)
Pity I'll be cheering against the Jets prospects then. Go Canada Go. I mean, I still want our guys to do well, just for their teams to lose in the end.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016

Don't forget Samberg, too.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
And that would be so much better than watching our team make it to the conference finals last season?

I think the stastny trade had a much much bigger impact on us making it deep than keeping Enstrom, who ended up getting scratched in the last game.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
And that would be so much better than watching our team make it to the conference finals last season?

Didn't mean to imply that I regret the trade. Generally I loath trading 1sts. Even last year it wasn't something I wanted to do. I was ok with it because Stastny seemed like a rare TD acquisition, in that he actually made a meaningful impact. He was big for us in the Nashville series. Generally speaking though, I'd rather trade lower picks or prospects for TD depth. Or if you're moving a 1st, use it in a deal for a younger player with term.

Stastny helped us last year, but now we're paying the bill is all I'm saying. (and that's under the assumption that a guy we drafted in that spot really turns out good. so far, Veleno is looking pretty darn good).

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
It’s neat to get to watch our prospects, but also worth noting that a guy like Petan was a WJC hero and a guy like Tanev was probably playing junior B in his WJC eligible years.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Didn't mean to imply that I regret the trade. Generally I loath trading 1sts. Even last year it wasn't something I wanted to do. I was ok with it because Stastny seemed like a rare TD acquisition, in that he actually made a meaningful impact. He was big for us in the Nashville series. Generally speaking though, I'd rather trade lower picks or prospects for TD depth. Or if you're moving a 1st, use it in a deal for a younger player with term.

Stastny helped us last year, but now we're paying the bill is all I'm saying. (and that's under the assumption that a guy we drafted in that spot really turns out good. so far, Veleno is looking pretty darn good).
We also got Stastny cheap as it was only a 1st. Foley is injured right now and not looking like that killer of a prospect. A very late first for Stastny.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Samberg
Vesalainen
Gustafsson
Virtanen

That's a decent grouping. I expect Samberg and Vesalainen to be impact players in the tournament.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
We also got Stastny cheap as it was only a 1st. Foley is injured right now and not looking like that killer of a prospect. A very late first for Stastny.

I don't consider 1st's as cheap for rentals myself. Especially in a cap world. But YMMV.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't consider 1st's as cheap for rentals myself. Especially in a cap world. But YMMV.
Depends on how close it is to the end of the round. Anything 22 under is expensive 29 up is expensive. The price of a good rental is a 1st and a good prospect.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Depends on how close it is to the end of the round. Anything 22 under is expensive 29 up is expensive. The price of a good rental is a 1st and a good prospect.

I'm not disagreeing that the price for rentals is usually a 1st and a prospect. What I personally disagree with is the concept that this is "cheap".

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
The WJC where Petan was tearing it up and Morissey and Comrie were there too was a lot of fun. I haven't really watched the tournament closely since that one

Reactions: irunthepeg

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'm not disagreeing that the price for rentals is usually a 1st and a prospect. What I personally disagree with is the concept that this is "cheap".
I'm just saying if Foley worked out the price would have been a heck of a lot more expensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->