Lack of goals

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I've gotta say, it's been weird since the Edmonton series. Things were almost going too well and regression was to be expected. They've played 22 games since.

10-9-3

The team only scored more than 3 goals 5 times in that stretch. I haven't gone through each game individually, but it feels like since this point, they've controlled the play in most of the games with a lot of high-danger chances. But the puck is not going in. Posts. Double posts. Point blank saves. Saran wrap covering the net? It's been weird. Need to see if it has been bad luck and they are due for an outburst, or if there is a serious finishing problem, which there should not be.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I can remember Pitts. winning a Cup with their top offensive talent spread out thru 3 lines Crosby on line 1, Malkin on 2 and Kessel on 3, I'd like to see TO try that.

Hy/Mathews/Galchenyuk
Simmonds/JT/Ny
Foligno/Kerfoot/Marner
Mikhey/Eng/Spezza

Spares: Robertson, Thornton

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I can remember Pitts. winning a Cup with their top offensive talent spread out thru 3 lines Crosby on line 1, Malkin on 2 and Kessel on 3, I'd like to see TO try that.

Hy/Mathews/Galchenyuk
Simmonds/JT/Ny
Foligno/Kerfoot/Marner
Mikhey/Eng/Spezza

Spares: Robertson, Thornton

Babcock's calling card was distributing offence throughout the line-up and the stretch pass. This is probably exactly what Babs would do but switch Marner and Willy, and Spezza didn't re-sign so sub in Joe for him.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
this whole team is all about having 4 guys score goals. ..if they dont they dont have the firepower to score consistantly. This is why its insane people on these board wanted foligno over hall. we need scoring , not a chekcing line winger.

another huge issue is the offense generated by the back end. As much as we love our new Dcore and how they defend, most of there "shots" suck, they dont shoot enough to generate garbage goals, and without even lookng it up i would imagine that the leafs are near the bottom of the league in dman goal scoring

even reilly is mostly ineffective at generating actual scoring chances. Sure he rakes up points from secondary assists but as above his shot sucks and he doesnt generate alot of offense considering he plays like 4 to 6 min a game on the PP

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Gally - AM -Marner

It's a pretty line, but I seriously question their ability to overcome a team that's focused on shutting them down.

I'd even fo so far as splitting up 34-16 for a while.

let's see what 34-88 & 91-16 can do with maybe Foligno and Hyman. (take your choice)

I think Gally could work with Kerfoot and either Mik or maybe even Robertson.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I've gotta say, it's been weird since the Edmonton series. Things were almost going too well and regression was to be expected. They've played 22 games since.

10-9-3

The team only scored more than 3 goals 5 times in that stretch. I haven't gone through each game individually, but it feels like since this point, they've controlled the play in most of the games with a lot of high-danger chances. But the puck is not going in. Posts. Double posts. Point blank saves. Saran wrap covering the net? It's been weird. Need to see if it has been bad luck and they are due for an outburst, or if there is a serious finishing problem, which there should not be.

That is fairly impressive considering 3 goals (never mind more than 3) should still win you a ton of games (especially since our defense has been very solid much of that stretch as well) and our PP has only score like 3 or 4 times in that 17 game stretch. Our PP starts converting, we are probably the top scoring team in the league.

The thing is that our goalies have been making us score 4 or 5 goals to win games when an average goalie should have made us need 3 goals at the very most.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When this team is fully healthy, there isnt a team better than us other then maybe TB up and down the lineup.

Gally-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Micheyev
Thornton/Spezza-Nash-Simmonds

Reilly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogo
Hutton, Sandin, Lilly

Andersen
Campbell
Rittich
Hutch

This lineup should easily make it through the first 2 rounds, no questions asked. If they dont it would be consider a colossal disaster.

I think Colorado is a stronger team top to bottom and they play like it. Where they have us beat is 4 really good puck moving options in Makar, Girard, Toews and Byram to go with a forward Big 2 of Mackinnon and Rantanen. Landeskog and Kadri are similar to our second line and you could give us the edge. They also have a number of fairly versatile prime age big body forwards like Burakovaky, Nichushkin, Saad, just added Soderberg. It’s a really big difference in energy levels when we compare them to Thornton and Simmonds. Grubauer has given them Vezina trophy level goaltending up to the Covid diagnosis. If we get to the final fours I would rather play Vegas than these guys. They’re what the Leafs were supposed to be. They just go full throttle and steam roll.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
1. More consistent goaltending
2. Powerplay needs to be at least 1/2 of what it's capable of being
3. The costly turnovers need to stop
4. The right guys need to play (Jumbo should be looking over his shoulder)

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
Said this before..will again...matthews without puck does not impress me...he can look lost.

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
Matthews n tavarres are not stellar for this to happen to team...Tavares no off whiz....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad