Lack of excitement result of schedule

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I've been having a hard time getting excited about most games because of a lack of intensity as a result of playing against teams that our boys don't have a familiarity with. Last year, this team thrived when they had a beef with the opposition. I hate to make excuses for them but could this be why they put such poor efforts up against teams like MIN, COL, CLB, NSH ect. I know that they won a couple of those games but they weren't exactly awe inspiring efforts. I'm hoping that once we get a couple more divisional games under our belt that we can get some momentum.

Thoughts?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Lack of excitement maybe from a fans pov. Definitely don't see it from the player's pov though. I like the new schedule and the chance to play every team, but theres just something missing not having played the likes of Boston, Montreal, Buffalo, or Ottawa as much as I'm used to.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Lack of excitement maybe from a fans pov. Definitely don't see it from the player's pov though. I like the new schedule and the chance to play every team, but theres just something missing not having played the likes of Boston, Montreal, Buffalo, or Ottawa as much as I'm used to.

It has to do with the history that some players have with each other. Also, there really hasn't been a flow to a lot of the games because a lack of familiarity that the players and coaches have. It seems as though there is a lot of feeling things out.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I much rather play 65+ games within the conference. I don't like this schedule where every team must play every team from the other conference twice.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Every team in the league gets a little "jacked up" when they play the Leafs, especially on Hockey Night in Canada. Teams like Phoenix can have sell-out crowds at home when we come to town because Leaf fans in the area come to the game. For us, those games are just another game.

Obviously that's not a valid excuse, but the boys don't really need one at the moment with a 7-4 start despite sloppy play at times.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I enjoy watching teams I wouldn't normally get to see.

As for the players, that's no excuse. Just don't see it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I much rather play 65+ games within the conference. I don't like this schedule where every team must play every team from the other conference twice.

word.
I'm not going to lie: playing the east only last season was very exciting.

also not liking it that on the 2nd of November - we have a game, and then our next game isn't until November 8th.

the hell?

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

Think of it like this. Who would you have a bigger beef with, your local highschool bully or the one two towns over?

There's no emotion because there's relatively little history. This goes for the entire NHL.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I enjoy watching teams I wouldn't normally get to see.

I know that it shouldn't be an excuse and I didn't mean for it to sound like it.

I just think that the players uncontrollable adrenaline must be more way more intense, day of, in the locker room prior and getting on the ice in Boston, Montreal, Ottawa and Philly opposed to the above mentioned teams.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

I agree, if we had just 1 game against those teams that'd be 3 less losses to C-teams, and we'd probably only tack on 1 extra loss to east of the east C-team's(Carolina, Columbus), we'd end up 71-11 instead of 70-12 :rant:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I know that it shouldn't be an excuse and I didn't mean for it to sound like it.

I just think that the players uncontrollable adrenaline must be more way more intense, day of, in the locker room prior and getting on the ice in Boston, Montreal, Ottawa and Philly opposed to the above mentioned teams.

Granted there might be "more" spark for Leafs/habs, but they're professional athletes. They still run on adrenaline, and they all want to win. I understand your thought process, I just don't see how a professional athlete can sandbag a game and feel good about himself.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
word.
I'm not going to lie: playing the east only last season was very exciting.

also not liking it that on the 2nd of November - we have a game, and then our next game isn't until November 8th.

the hell?

There's a stretch like that almost every year. Frankly, I'd be concerned about what I have going on in my life if the fact that I don't get to watch my favourite hockey team for almost a week was bothering me.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

On the other hand, I'm happy that I'm going to see the division rivals only 4 or 5 times. I get sick of seeing the same teams over and over again. I hated the schedule the first few years after the 2004-2005 lockout when teams played their division rivals as many as 8 times and didn't play some teams at all.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Granted there might be "more" spark for Leafs/habs, but they're professional athletes. They still run on adrenaline, and they all want to win. I understand your thought process, I just don't see how a professional athlete can sandbag a game and feel good about himself.

I don't think that any of them intentionally sandbag a game, I just wish that we could watch a full 60 minutes from the entire team.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I don't think that any of them intentionally sandbag a game, I just wish that we could watch a full 60 minutes from the entire team.

Me too, I just don't believe the unfamiliarity of opponent is the reason, or part of the reason.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
honestly i haven't really seen a single "awe-inspiring" effort this season so far so im not sure a lack of familiarity with opponents is the problem here.

I totally agree with the first point obviously. What I was getting at was an inability to get momentum from the lack of familiarity. Yes we are very familiar with the first three teams that we played, 7 of the last 8 teams that we played are either in the West or were in the West last year. It's hard to gain momentum in the first three games of the season.

Maybe I am making excuses for them, it sure sounds like it. If it is the case, they better get their **** together regardless.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
honestly i haven't really seen a single "awe-inspiring" effort this season so far so im not sure a lack of familiarity with opponents is the problem here.

I totally agree with the first point obviously. What I was getting at was an inability to get momentum from the lack of familiarity. Yes we are very familiar with the first three teams that we played, 7 of the last 8 teams that we played are either in the West or were in the West last year. It's hard to gain momentum in the first three games of the season.

Maybe I am making excuses for them, it sure sounds like it. If it is the case, they better get their **** together regardless.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Yes, because if they continue at the current pace, they'll only have about 50 wins and 100 points.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
On the other hand, I'm happy that I'm going to see the division rivals only 4 or 5 times. I get sick of seeing the same teams over and over again. I hated the schedule the first few years after the 2004-2005 lockout when teams played their division rivals as many as 8 times and didn't play some teams at all.

This.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
There's a stretch like that almost every year. Frankly, I'd be concerned about what I have going on in my life if the fact that I don't get to watch my favourite hockey team for almost a week was bothering me.

:laugh: I have NOTHING in my life that's the problem ;) I work 12 hour days so basically it's teevee and bed for me. i'll just watch other teams I just think it's crazy that some teams get almost a week off.

Offspring

Feb 13, 2010
Give it a couple years and we could start to see some inter-conference intensity start to ramp up. There will always be slightly more heat between western Canadians (EDM, WPG, VAN &CAL) and who knows, maybe some of our Seguin hate translates into a little TOR/DAL rivalry. Bernier vs. Quick would be a cool headline for when we play LAK etc. etc. Just give it time boys :).

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Frankly, I'd be concerned about what I have going on in my life if the fact that I don't get to watch my favourite hockey team for almost a week was bothering me.

Some call it work. Not everyone has martini sipping time during the middle of the week. If I get in at 7pm and catch the game before bed, I consider that a good night.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
It would have been nice to get a chance to beat up on MON, BUF, OTT early on, but without Clarkson, McLaren and Fraser I don't know who would've been doing the beating. Maybe we're fortunate to have played less intense rivals for the start of the season.

Starting Nov 9, we will be playing the Bruins, then the Sabres twice, hopefully just in time to get all our tough guys in the game and bring back our identity. I think Fraser and his toughness around the net with legit ice time has been sorely missed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad