Confirmed with Link: Lack 50% + Murphy + 7th ('19) to CGY for Kanzig + 6th ('19)

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
This time next year we won't be singing that tune, no sir. Not with Hanifin, Slavin and Pesce, coming off their ELCs to to enter RFA status with TVR and Dahlbeck scheduled to have arbitration eligible RFA status as well. We're looking at a major financial bump in value on our blueline over the next 12 months, so what Ron is doing now makes plenty of sense long-term. Clearing as much runway as possible to let the jumbos land.

And then you also have Aho and Fleury coming off their ELCs the year after that. It will not be long until the Hurricanes are big spenders, because they'll have to be to keep the team intact. And really, they have to be in order to have any hope on bringing the fans back.

I'm willing to bet this time next year there will be more worry about how close we are to the Salary Cap than the Salary Floor

If we're not a playoff team and this is a problem, then we're in trouble.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I think the reason we're a little confused by this trade and having trouble processing it, at least from my point of view, is that we're usually the team on the other end of deals like this. We're usually the team taking a flyer on a couple of reclamation projects and eating salary. It feels a little weird to be on the other side.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think the reason we're a little confused by this trade and having trouble processing it, at least from my point of view, is that we're usually the team on the other end of deals like this. We're usually the team taking a flyer on a couple of reclamation projects and eating salary. It feels a little weird to be on the other side.

Exactly. Basically Calgary did our buyout for us.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Ryan Murphy just got a huge dose of reality in very short order.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
I will say that Osgood was my favorite of all that I meet. Legitimately a good guy, kind of like the goofy kid that got the cool job.
You guys are lucky to live in NA because you can meet guys like him!

As for Murphy, probably gone to Europe, there is no place for him in NHL IMO

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If we're not a playoff team and this is a problem, then we're in trouble.

That's the thing. I fully believe we're a playtoff team as is right now. I think we have a pretty decent chance to at least sneak into that 8th seed given the improvements we've made in net and bringing in TVR. And with a year of experience with the Canes at the NHL, I am looking forward to seeing TT and Aho do their thing this year. And really, I think this is our base level for the next while. As long as we can keep this defensive core together, we should be in the playoffs more than we're not assuming our goaltending isn't horrendous. From here on out, its about building out the forward lines to bring us from a borderline playoff team to a legitimate contender.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Kanzig might at least provide some entertainment value in Charlotte, in a kind of old Soviet-era skating bear kind of way, combined with bad fistfighting.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It's a shame. Murphy had all the potential in the world, he just came into the game at the wrong time. Right as the league was starting to make moves to remove predatory hits from the game, Tom Kuhnhackl runs him and takes about 90% of his confidence with the puck with him. That seems to be the point where things really turned for Murphy. The player he was during his second year in Kitchener was absolute dynamite. Don Cherry saying he'd be the 1st overall pick in his draft year and it didn't seem absurd even considering his lack of size. As a professional, though, I think at some point he just accepted his fate. There didn't seem to be any urgency for him. If he played, great. If he didn't, it wasn't a big deal. He never seemed like he was dying to get out there. It would be hard to blame him if he fell out of love with the game. It's seriously gut check time, now. Curious to see what he decides to do next. I think he could probably carve out a really fantastic career in Europe. Similar to what former Florida Everblade Chris Lee has done. I wish him the best, but hope that whatever his next step is he takes it with confidence and puts his best effort into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->