Lacerations/Cuts in Hockey

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
With Erik Karlsson suffering a laceration to his achilles tendon I thought I would ask you guys if the NHL should do something about this?

It actually amazes me that this doesn't happen more often. I play hockey 3 times per week and I have had a few close cases of bodies flying and skates flying in the air and near missing my face. It scares the **** out of me to see something like this happen.

I mean it happened to Bieksa TWICE.

Didn't they league come out with a new sock that was cut proof? Do not al the players wear them?

Also did you think it was a dirty play by Cooke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-qBDYa9Dg4

I personally feel it was a dirty hit to throw your knee/leg like that.. Although I feel it was a dirty hit I dont think he meant to cut him In fact i know he didn't mean to cut him. But still a dirty hit IMO and he should be held accountable it was his Skate/Knife that probably put the young defender out of hockey for a YEAR!!

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
With Erik Karlsson suffering a laceration to his achilles tendon I thought I would ask you guys if the NHL should do something about this?

It actually amazes me that this doesn't happen more often. I play hockey 3 times per week and I have had a few close cases of bodies flying and skates flying in the air and near missing my face. It scares the **** out of me to see something like this happen.

I mean it happened to Bieksa TWICE.

Didn't they league come out with a new sock that was cut proof? Do not al the players wear them?

Also did you think it was a dirty play by Cooke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-qBDYa9Dg4

I personally feel it was a dirty hit to throw your knee/leg like that.. Although I feel it was a dirty hit I dont think he meant to cut him In fact i know he didn't mean to cut him. But still a dirty hit IMO and he should be held accountable it was his Skate/Knife that probably put the young defender out of hockey for a YEAR!!

Yes you can get skate socks that are cut proof and hockey socks that are cut proof.

I wear both. I wear the kevlar skate socks and I wear the First Start Sports Kevlar backed hockey socks.

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
I am gonna go buy a pair. I usually dont wear socks at all under my skates but after seeing that injury to Karlsson I never want that to be me..

They sell them at most hockey shops?

I'm even thinking about buying a neck guard to protect the throat but it just gets so damn hot when you wear a neck guard

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I am gonna go buy a pair. I usually dont wear socks at all under my skates but after seeing that injury to Karlsson I never want that to be me..

I'm even thinking about buying a neck guard to protect the throat but it just gets so damn hot when you wear a neck guard

Still, if you are unlucky you will get it anyway.

images

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
I took a puck in the face yesterday not even a direct shot. Just trying to chip the puck around a guy with one hand both our sticks hit the puck at the same time.

Unbelievable how much that hurts. Can't imagine the pain these NHL'ers feel when they block a Shea Weber blast with their bodies..

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
I got kicked in the face diving after a guy who got behind me for a breakaway and slid into the net. Goalie told me not to move because I was bleeding a lot. Didn't feel a thing. That was some years ago and the scar is barely visible now.

I'm thinking about the skate socks but I currently use compression socks to prevent calf cramps.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

You can order from Hockey Monkey online I think. I also bought a pack of 2 pairs from Source for Sport (I think) for like $40.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I took a puck in the face yesterday not even a direct shot. Just trying to chip the puck around a guy with one hand both our sticks hit the puck at the same time.

Unbelievable how much that hurts. Can't imagine the pain these NHL'ers feel when they block a Shea Weber blast with their bodies..

Ive never understood guys not wearing visors. I know its personal choice and all.

I simply wont play without one. And I sweat more than 90% of the people out there so my visor fogs up more than others.

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
Ive never understood guys not wearing visors. I know its personal choice and all.

I simply wont play without one. And I sweat more than 90% of the people out there so my visor fogs up more than others.

well im assuming your talking abouta half visor and not a full visor. You can still get your face pretty ****ed up from a half visor.

So their could be the argument made "i never understood not wearing a full visor" to each his own..

I switch it up.. If im playing senior hockey its mandatory to wear a visor. If just an innocent game of shinny I will wear no visor

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
well im assuming your talking abouta half visor and not a full visor. You can still get your face pretty ****ed up from a half visor.

So their could be the argument made "i never understood not wearing a full visor" to each his own..

I switch it up.. If im playing senior hockey its mandatory to wear a visor. If just an innocent game of shinny I will wear no visor

Yes you can however damage to the jaw is no where near as bad as damage to your eyes. To me its not even comparable.

Damage your eyes and your in for a life time of trouble. Think not being able to work, drivers license, etc

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Cooke has a bad rep, but this time I don't think this was intentional. Cooke just tried to pin Karlsson into the boards. I didn't see a deliberate stomping motion, and Cooke wasn't looking in the direction of his leg. Tough break for Karlsson and Senators fans.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I wear a full cage and I instigate fights. I never take my helmet off.

:sarcasm:

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Skate blade cuts happened to a number of players:

• Achillles / Calf: Kevin Bieksa (twice) Teemu Selanne, Andrei Markov, Robert Lang
  • Wrist: Jason Blake, Mike Modano, Darren Helm
  • Neck: Richard Zednik and Clint Malarchuck
  • Face: Borje Salming, Taylor Hall, Michael Renberg

Each of these "freak" injuries has resulted in teams and players making changes to equipment. All goalies now where neck protection. After Bieksa's 2nd cut, most of the Canucks wear kevlar or cut proof socks. Teemu Selanne says almost all of the Ducks wear both socks and wrist protection. Since Taylor Hall's injury - some teams have mandated helmets in warm up, and obviously, many, many players wear visors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad