LA Times:Deal done by Sunday/Goodenow OUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Give Helene Elliott credit because she has done the best reporting on the lockout by a wide margin.She is reporting Bobby G is out of the loop here.The rank and file of the NHLPA has had enough of this bum

"The general feeling is an expectation that a deal will be done by Sunday," a source close to the situation said

It took the intervention of Gretzky, the managing partner of the Phoenix Coyotes and dutiful supporter of the NHL's "cost certainty" policy, and Lemieux, who occupies a unique position as both a player for and owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins, to convince Bettman that players were still willing to compromise and that a short season is worth playing. But it's largely because of the efforts of Trevor Linden that there is even faint hope of reviving the season.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...n?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

EDIT: copyright law says you can only quote one paragraph of a text

Last edited by a moderator:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'm happy, but you have to question the involvement of "owner/players" like Mario and Gretz. This could be a very questionable tactic from a larger collective bargaining viewpoint.

Briannj1970

Jan 15, 2005
I'm happy, but you have to question the involvement of "owner/players" like Mario and Gretz. This could be a very questionable tactic from a larger collective bargaining viewpoint.

Maybe not. You've got two all timers who have been on both sides of the fence. Having it be two guys like Gretz and Lemieux definitely brings a different dynamic to the table. Like Lemieux had said before, he never believed that the owners were losing money until he bought the Penguins. I kind of think that the players will buy more into what those guys are saying than Hotchkiss, Karmanos, or most other owners at this point. Gretzky and Lemieux, right now, may be essential to the process and getting something done today.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
pkwjr said:
Am I missing something in this article, where does it say Goodenow is out?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nhl19feb19,1,4073409.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

Bob Goodenow, the union's executive director, was not expected to take part in the talks. Well-placed sources said Goodenow told the union's executive committee that he could not recommend such a deal, or any deal like it, and that if the committee wanted to make that deal, it would have to do so on its own.

The players' executive committee — Daniel Alfredsson, Bob Boughner, Vincent Damphousse, Bill Guerin, Arturs Irbe and Trent Klatt — decided to do just that.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nhlcol19feb19,1,209234.column?coll=la-headlines-sports

Goodenow was not among them, sources said, because he was unhappy with the maneuvering that went on behind his back to produce a deal he considers too favorable to the NHL.

Dismayed by his failure to inform them about key decisions — they woke up Tuesday and were stunned to learn he had committed them to a salary cap — and shaken when his assurances that owners would cave in did not materialize, players knew if they were going to get a deal, Goodenow and Bettman couldn't be in the same room.

EDIT: can't cut and paste that much of article

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
This is where you see Goodenow's logic is flawed. The players he represents agree on 45 millions, but he doesn't want to sign that for them. He officially made it a personnal thing.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
MasterD said:
This is where you see Goodenow's logic is flawed. The players he represents agree on 45 millions, but he doesn't want to sign that for them. He officially made it a personnal thing.

if the season is saved, then its all but certain that Goodenow is toast

officeglen

Oct 6, 2002
Eastern Ontario
Visit site

officeglen

Oct 6, 2002
Eastern Ontario
Visit site
So does this article:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=knight-thawinnhlcoldwar&prov=knight&type=lgns

Bettman, NHL vice president Bill Daly, NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow, union senior director Ted Saskin and the union's executive committee are expected to attend the meeting.

It's possible two NHL icons - Phoenix Coyotes managing partner Wayne Gretzky and Pittsburgh Penguins owner/player Mario Lemieux - will attend.

Bob Boughner, a Colorado Avalanche defenseman and union vice president, didn't return a phone message but was believed to be en route to New York.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
officeglen said:

I don't know.. it seems like its the "did the union *really* offer the cap?" all over again... players don't know what the heck is going on, and whatever happened is really really really deep at the source.. uncovering this is like uncovering a conspiracy theory... Steve Simmons and Larry brooks in their Friday Morning articles already had an idea that Goodenow was losing control, and I think the overwhelming number of reports now, including Bob McKenzie, and the latimes article, indicate that Goodenow may not be a part of the process at all

there was also one article from friday morning which stated that Saskin wasn't on the same page as Goodenow either, so that may have been a factor

but only time will tell

SharkGirl27

Jan 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
I am so confused now. Two weeks ago I promised myself I WOULD NOT get my hopes up anymore regarding this, last night my hopes went WAY up, then I wake up this morning and TSN seems to be backing off the almost certainty a deal was done, then I come on here, read all these articles and it still seems like its pretty much a certainty. When do you guys think we will know for sure and in finality?

I don't know how to post a link but this is part of the tsn.ca article that made my optimism turn back to pessimism:

That is part of the article plus the heading on the main website says Deal Still Longshot or something like that :banghead:

EDIT: you must learn how to post a link then, if you can cut and paste text, you can cut and paste a link.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
TSN seems to be basing their reports on a quote from an NHLPA spokesman. TSN is definitely just the most conservative when it comes to this stuff, they never put themselves out there on anything and just fence sit until the official statement is released.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
pkwjr said:
Am I missing something in this article, where does it say Goodenow is out?

How can Goodenow continue to run the NHLPA after what happened this week?When it comes to finalizing the deal,Goodenow is back in Toronto while the exec committee and Saskin are in New York.Goodenow does not believe in this deal.How can he survive after this week?

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
The reports we have gotten about a "done deal" up to this point have been from sources close to the situation who demand anonymity, if someone puts that question directly to anyone on either side of the table publicly, they almost have to deny it or say it is untrue.

You have to follow logic here. IMO, there is no way the PA even steps on a plane to NY if they don't already know that an agreement in principle exists. There may be, and probably are, other pieces of the CBA that still need to be discussed, but my guess is the cap/lux tax/triggers type stuff is done. Niether side can afford the PR nightmare (on top of the one that just occured on Wednesday) that would exist if this doesn't pan out. That being said, there is always a chance this thing could blow up, so anyone with half a brain (and most involved in this just make the cut here) wouldn't go into this publicly saying it was all done. Imagine having to answer that question: "Mr. Daly, you said on Saturday morning that the deal was done, here it is Sunday night and the talks have borken off for good. What happened?"

There still are plenty of credible news sources that are reitterating that a deal is done here.

All I can say in summary is "patience grasshopper".

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
officeglen said:
One thing is certain: if Goodenow is part of the Saturday talks, any Friday night "done deal" can become undone.
My feeling exactly.

Here's hoping somebody sticks that bad penny on the railroad tracks. (Don't take that literally, it's a metaphor).

ResidentAlien*

officeglen said:
One thing is certain: if Goodenow is part of the Saturday talks, any Friday night "done deal" can become undone.
Fan590 just said on their update that Goodenow has been excused from the bargaining process today. They cited the NYPOST as their source.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
westcoast said:
TSN seems to be basing their reports on a quote from an NHLPA spokesman. TSN is definitely just the most conservative when it comes to this stuff, they never put themselves out there on anything and just fence sit until the official statement is released.

Now THAT cracked me up. (grins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad