LA Times: About a dozen items remain, but just language

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey/nhl/la-sp-nhl8jul08,1,151940.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nhl

The disposition of 2004-05 contracts, which had been a major point of contention, will be resolved in the league's favor, another source said. About a dozen items remain in flux because of disputed language, but those will not derail the talks.
Since this is in today's paper, this would have been the status as of last night. So it sounds like they're literally just down to fleshing out the language on a few remaining items, and that was before whatever work they are putting in during today's meetings. It seems reasonable to believe that they could have this wrapped up over the weekend in order to present the owners exec committee with a document on Monday.

Tra La La

Feb 13, 2003
Buffalo, New York
The lottery for this year's entry draft will give every team at least one chance at the No. 1 pick, Sidney Crosby. Teams that missed the playoffs each of the previous three seasons will have three chances, a source said.

Alrighty then! That works for me.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
invader Zim said:
The lottery for this year's entry draft will give every team at least one chance at the No. 1 pick, Sidney Crosby. Teams that missed the playoffs each of the previous three seasons will have three chances, a source said.

Alrighty then! That works for me.

Agreed...that is good news!

A Good Flying Bird*

McDonald19 said:
Agreed...that is good news!

It's good news for the fans of pathetic franchises that should be fully loaded up on young talent and have a ton of cap room to by superstar UFAs at 1992-era prices.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Newsguyone said:
It's good news for the fans of pathetic franchises that should be fully loaded up on young talent and have a ton of cap room to by superstar UFAs at 1992-era prices.
However they will only be able to keep them so long ..

Todays TSN article says

"The age of unrestricted free agency will remain 31 this summer but will gradually be brought down to 27 or 28 by the 2008."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=129964

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Newsguyone said:

What is a pathetic franchise? Please enlighten me...

In the last 5 years, every team in the league has made the playoffs except NYR, FL, and CLB (expansion team 5 yrs ago). So, NYR started to rebuild 16 games at the close of last season, FL has been rebuilding for 3 years, and CLB IS building as an expansion team should. Now, we have ONE original six franchise that you can call pathetic...

Where are those pathetic franchises?

Spankatola Jamnuts*

I think he's talking about Detroit circa 1970-1991 or so.

I think.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
I'm surprised no one has said it yet, but after the "agreement in principle" crap why does the LA times have any credibility? Seriously, out of sheer embarassment they should keep their mouth shut for a couple days at least.

A Good Flying Bird*

Chock Full Of Booger said:
I think he's talking about Detroit circa 1970-1991 or so.

I think.

Actually, i'd say 1970-1986 or so.
The Wings had some decent years with Demers behind the bench and Yzerman scoring 165 points or so.

But yeah, by all means, they were a PATHETIC franchise for more than 15 years.

I've got no problem admitting that.
They've been the absolute class of the league for the last 15 years, with all due respect to Jersey and Colorado/Quebec.

A Good Flying Bird*

blitzkriegs said:
What is a pathetic franchise? Please enlighten me...

In the last 5 years, every team in the league has made the playoffs except NYR, FL, and CLB (expansion team 5 yrs ago). So, NYR started to rebuild 16 games at the close of last season, FL has been rebuilding for 3 years, and CLB IS building as an expansion team should. Now, we have ONE original six franchise that you can call pathetic...

Where are those pathetic franchises?

Phoenix.
Nashville.
Atlanta.
Florida.
Carolina.
Pittsburgh.
Rangers (any team with these resources would be great with decent management)
Buffalo
Chicago.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
MojoJojo said:
I'm surprised no one has said it yet, but after the "agreement in principle" crap why does the LA times have any credibility? Seriously, out of sheer embarassment they should keep their mouth shut for a couple days at least.
In principle they HAVE agreed. It's just the legalese that needs sorting out. And even in the "agreed in principle" article Elliot stated that the '04-'05 contracts were still in question.

Read more than the headline. All it was was an optimistic choice of words, but not inaccurate.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Newsguyone said:
Phoenix.
Nashville.
Atlanta.
Florida.
Carolina.
Pittsburgh.
Buffalo
Chicago.

What makes these franchises pathetic? Enlighten us what makes a team pathetic and another team not pathetic.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
Phoenix.
Nashville.
Atlanta.
Florida.
Carolina.
Pittsburgh.
Buffalo
Chicago.

I'll give you CHI and the NYR. Not sure why you would say that BUF is a pathetic team. They are going about building a team the right way.

So franchises that are growing the fan-base in a non-traditional markets are pathetic? Or do you think that "super" markets started out that way? A franchise like ATL should have developed an fanbase in 5 years without ever making the play-off's when probably less than 1/2 of 1% of the people have ever had the chance to play ice hockey?

You don't have to have a $70M payroll to be a good hockey team. You were lucky enough to have an owner that was willing to do anything to win. Unfortunately, Illitch didn't have 29 other billionare friends looking to prove how big their johnson is by having a franchise that has to make the Stanley Cup finals to break even.

A Good Flying Bird*

Beukeboom Fan said:
I'll give you CHI and the NYR. Not sure why you would say that BUF is a pathetic team. They are going about building a team the right way.

So franchises that are growing the fan-base in a non-traditional markets are pathetic? Or do you think that "super" markets started out that way? A franchise like ATL should have developed an fanbase in 5 years without ever making the play-off's when probably less than 1/2 of 1% of the people have ever had the chance to play ice hockey?

You don't have to have a $70M payroll to be a good hockey team. You were lucky enough to have an owner that was willing to do anything to win. Unfortunately, Illitch didn't have 29 other billionare friends looking to prove how big their johnson is by having a franchise that has to make the Stanley Cup finals to break even.

Yeah, I'd say that those franchises are pathetic.
Look, if I decide to become a world class sprinter tomorrow, I'm gonna look pretty slow compared to the franchises that have been in the game for 20 years.
I left Columbus off the list, because I can see real progress in the organization.
I considered taking Nashville off the list, but come on. A 21 million budget and they barely break even despite a playoff round? Growing or not, that is pathetic.
Carolina? Perhaps the single most stupid franchise move in major pro sports history.
I love all the young talent in Florida, but that franchise goes through management employees like I go through toilet paper after a few spicy burritos and a pitcher of beer.
Buffalo got hurt by a crooked owner. Weren't they going through bankruptcy? What's attendance been like? The Mike Peca/Dominik Hasek/Tedd Nolan controversies are stains on the franchise. That's not just rebuilding. That's gross ineptitude. That's a franchise that completely lost its direction for a few years.
They might be on the right path again. But they've got to move up a bit.
Phoenix? Good Lord, I loved the WInnipeg jets. I loved them. But has this franchise ever gone beyond the first round?
Pittsburgh? They're owned by their star player? What else needs to be said.

Look, I remember when Detroit and Toronto stunk up the basement of the Norris Division.
And they were absolutely pathetic.
Detroit kept signing old, washed up stars like Salming and Robinson.
Toronto had Jiri Chyra in goal.
They didn't just go through rebuilding. They sucked.

With a salary cap, many teams should be able to pull themselves out of suckitude.

And that's my point.
After years of mostly crappy finishes and high draft choices, shouldn't these teams be in PRIME POSITION now, with a ton of young, cheap talentm lots of cap room, and a ton of UFAs flooding the market?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
MojoJojo said:

I agree, im not buying ANYTHING from this source. Waste of a post IMO.

LA Times have been added to the LIST OF NOT TO TRUST sources.

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
FLYLine4LIFE said:
I agree, im not buying ANYTHING from this source. Waste of a post IMO.

LA Times have been added to the LIST OF NOT TO TRUST sources.

I swear to you that the LA Times is a solid sports newspaper, if they reported something about hockey you got believe them.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
TwzKing said:
I swear to you that the LA Times is a solid sports newspaper, if they reported something about hockey you got believe them.

Well, after yesterdays report i think ill ignore them till the lockout is over. They posted a pretty big thing yesterday and was very off.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Well, after yesterdays report i think ill ignore them till the lockout is over. They posted a pretty big thing yesterday and was very off.
They were not off at all. Totally consistent. The CBA in principle as far as anyone knows was agreed to with the one stumbling block of the '04-'05 contract year still up in the air (which isn't a CBA issue). Today it was reported that the '04-'05 contract issue has been resolved (the year rolls off but players get a credit for a year of service) and it's just down to putting it on paper in legal terms.

If people would have read the entire article and didn't freak out at the headline and then freak out again because the league and 'PA denied it (everyone always denies things even when they are true, trade rumors anyone?) this wouldn't be an issue.

Everything from that article you are taking exception to is falling into place.

Brent Burns Beard