La liga part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
They really look like a team that could be more versatile, better as a team.
Fresh looking team.

I've written elsewhere that, in essence, I would find it fool-hardy and dangerous to suggest that they could be a better team without Ronaldo; I think that's just criminally underselling Ronaldo's contribution and his mentality that he brought to the squad. But, there will be bigger roles for some of their key players to step into. How they'll do in those roles will determine their ultimate outcome(s) this season.

This Real Madrid season, coming in, feels so similar to how Barcelona felt coming into last season, to me. And all Barca did last year was win a domestic double without breaking a sweat. I don't think for one second Real Madrid has the same likelihood to do that, but I do expect them to win one trophy from the Copa/Liga/UCL competitions.

--

Atleti ties it as I write this. Good timing.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I've written elsewhere that, in essence, I would find it fool-hardy and dangerous to suggest that they could be a better team without Ronaldo; I think that's just criminally underselling Ronaldo's contribution and his mentality that he brought to the squad. But, there will be bigger roles for some of their key players to step into. How they'll do in those roles will determine their ultimate outcome(s) this season.

This Real Madrid season, coming in, feels so similar to how Barcelona felt coming into last season, to me. And all Barca did last year was win a domestic double without breaking a sweat. I don't think for one second Real Madrid has the same likelihood to do that, but I do expect them to win one trophy from the Copa/Liga/UCL competitions.

--

Atleti ties it as I write this. Good timing.

I have 0 Cup expectations right now.

Losing Ronaldo hurts of course, he was the king inside the box, but healthy prime Bale can be one of the best in the World as well, with him it's though important another guy like Asensio is ready to step up as well.
Bale has shown he can be better, more versatile player outside the box today than Ronaldo 16-17, there's no 1 player Real will look for in every attack.

Who knows how good they can be in a long regular season because of it, in Champions league losing Ronaldo hurts more.

Defense has been absolutely terrible since my post, and I don't like how Vinicius has gotten 10 mins of game time in the last 2 games combined, the kid needs to play and hopefully he'll get regulat minutes once the regular season starts.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Atletico is just simply better IMO. They have a chance at winning La Liga or UCL.

RM replaced one of the best scorers ever with nobody.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Atletico is just simply better IMO. They have a chance at winning La Liga or UCL.

RM replaced one of the best scorers ever with nobody.

In no small part because a Ronaldo replacement didn't exist. The ones who could weren't for sale. The ones for sale would cost too much and not be good enough. No amount of money was going to create that player into existence. Flo and Madrid were better off saving that money for another transfer window.

--

I'm in a prediction league on another website. I predicted Atletí to win the Champions League. All the pieces are in place for a multifaceted approach. They're loaded.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
They're going into the season with a washed up Benzema as their only striker. They could easily been more aggressive with their approach for a Cavani, Icardi, Aubameyang, etc.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
They're going into the season with a washed up Benzema as their only striker. They could easily been more aggressive with their approach for a Cavani, Icardi, Aubameyang, etc.

Cavani or Lewandowski would've been excellent short-term options before trying to make another push for Mbappe in a few years, I do agree. But neither of their clubs were willing to sell them, and their clubs have the same goals in their leagues and Europe that Real Madrid does.

Icardi is Inter's captain and Inter finally made it back to the Champions League this year. I don't think Icardi would've felt like leaving. That said, he did have a 110M Euro release clause up until 7/15, and Real Madrid didn't exercise it even though Ronaldo had left a week or so before that release clause expired. They could've pushed their luck when Inter had no control. They didn't. That's a fair enough point. I still would be of the belief that Icardi would've stuck it out with Inter, finally being where they want to be after spending so many years (the club and Icardi personally) plucking away at getting there.

I don't imagine Auba would've been sold one transfer window after Arsenal paid big to get him. Even if they were, Real has never had much interest in him. It's one of his heartbreak's, really; he's always wanted to go to Madrid, but for one reason or another, they've just never rated him as being the type of striker they either need or feel would fit their set-up. Now that he's closing to 30 and has always been someone who relied heavily on their pace, something that wanes with age, he's probably too old for their interest even if he did fit what they wanted to do.

--

But we did see today that when Benzema is either out of the game and/or out of form, they're up a creek. They don't have center forward depth organically. If Mayoral is the backup #9, that's a problem, because even if he is an academy product and everyone loves those, the guy just isn't Real Madrid quality in any way whatsoever. Blame it on injuries, poor loan spells hampering development, or never being good enough in the first place (or a combination of all three...it's usually a combination of them all) but he's not gonna cut it. Mariano Diaz would've come in handy real well right about now, but he and Lyon have a good thing going there so there goes that option.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Would it be OK to predict Real Madrid dropping outside top 4?

1. Atletico Madrid*
2. Barcelona
3. Valencia
4. Villareal

5. Real Madrid

* It would be so right (and cool) if Los Rojiblancos wins the La Liga this season.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
While everyone else was wasting their time watching the European Super Cup some of us were working. Then when some of us settled in for the evening we watched the Trofeo Gamper.

Overall an entertaining match from a Cule perspective. The team played well both halves and like other preseason matches there were plenty of substitutions and thus plenty of players got minutes. Of course why Valverde didn't play an expected starting XI together only he knows. Generally we were in control of the match though and should have at least two more goals, but Boca finished the first half pretty strong and should have had a goal or two of their own (one of which I would given via the spot as I thought Miranda fouled one of their players in the box early in the second half). A few notes:

• They presented the first team. No Puig and no Miranda, yet both played. However they included Samper, but he was the only player without a number. Not sure what that was all about.
  • If Munir can play 60 minutes (Lord knows why), then Samper should get some minutes. Also, then WTF is Alcacer doing in the team? Just get rid of the guy already. If Munir makes this team...
  • Messi was back on his game and scored an excellent goal.
  • Malcom played well despite being on the left for the majority of his time on the pitch. His goal should have been saved, but he got an unexpected shot off quick and it had some force behind it. Either way he played well.
  • Umtiti was excellent. Some excellent defending and a nice goal line save. Looks like he's picking up right where he left off from last season's form.
  • Rakitic at DM was so-so. Coutinho was coming deep to get the ball at times, somewhere you don't want him, and Rakitic made a poor pass which should have resulted in a Boca goal.
  • Puig looked good again. A couple of really nice plays that just makes him look beyond his years, metaphorically speaking of course. He should have scored a goal too. What's really amazing is the physical abuse he gets from the opposition (every match now) and yet he gets right up and plays. Kid looks like he's having fun out there, doesn't remotely look out of his depth and the experience he's getting is great.
  • Suarez looked notably better. Struck up a nice understanding with Rafinha.
  • Lenglet-Vermaelen was fine, but I still don't trust that as a pairing in a meaningful match. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • That just leaves the Man of the Match. Everybody has their price, but if Rafinha doesn't make this team it will be criminal. That said all signs point to him doing so. An underrated player by some distance. He's got vision, he can pass, he can dribble, he puts in the work, he can protect the ball... He'll be able to cover multiple positions, but just as a midfielder once again you have to question the Vidal signing a bit. Anyway, on one play he completely embarrassed a Boca player and the guy laughably was trying to chase him down and finally hacked him from behind (ala Sergio Ramos). Also, he scored a real golazo and even had his shirt pulled in the process.
  • I don't know how we're going to line up this year, but a bench of Malcom, Rafinha, Arthur, Semedo, Lenglet and Cillessen alone is looking good.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I'll go against the grain on Benzema. I think he'll have a better season this term with Ronaldo gone. Bale certainly will as will Asensio.

Would it be OK to predict Real Madrid dropping outside top 4?

1. Atletico Madrid*
2. Barcelona
3. Valencia
4. Villareal

5. Real Madrid

* It would be so right (and cool) if Los Rojiblancos wins the La Liga this season.

No and no.

Some... "interesting" predictions in this thread. I wouldn't expect any surprises in terms of who the top three sides are. You can debate the order, which it seems is ripe for debate, but Madrid for example aren't going to finish outside of the top three.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I was expecting overreaction, but some of this is hilarious.

The game itself turned on Casemiro's subsitution and Lopetegui bringing on Dani instead of Llorente.
Well, that and the the best back four in the game in the last 3-4 years playing like amateurs.
Marcelo had one massive brain fart but was otherwise decent, but the other 3 were shocking.
Madrid look like they were cruising and then they just buried themselves with horrible defensive lapses.

So, to write off the whole season or to write off this Madrid team based on that game, when you had top players obviously playing some of their worst football... Is a non-starter.

I also saw a couple of posts hating on Benzema, and I'll just repeat what I've been saying for years now.
He's fantastic at what he's asked to do, and even though his finishing isn't what it used to be, he's got a spot in this Madrid squard regardless of ho comes on. His role is not to pile on goals, but to work, take part in the build up (best striker in the game at this) and enable others to get into scoring areas and score.
What remains to be seen is if having a Bale-enabler is even worth it, because having a Ronaldo-enabler definitely was.
Benzema has been huge for Real, even if most of the football media don't see it because his goal totals are low.
And this game, in no way, was on Benzema.

There are issues with this team with so many important players from 16-17 gone, but Benzema is not one of them.

And I'll repeat what I said earlier. While last year, in the middle of their injury-plagued La Liga crisis people were writing them off, I still saw a CL beast in there once the players got back... But this season?

The depth is gone. Ronaldo, Kovacic, Morata, James, Danilo... Players gone in the last 2 years and the only new players brought in have been young Spaniards with potential - but nowhere near ready yet (and some might simply never become the players that the Spanish media wants them to become - I'm far from being sold on Llorente and Ceballos, myself).
Their depth, their "team B", won them La Liga two seasons ago, now it's costing them games.

Transfer complacency. Having a wage structure is to be commended and lauded, and not buying big players for years works if you have a top team already, but if the players are leaving, for whatever reason, you cannot just stockpile young talent to grow while supporting the starts... At some point these youngsters are asked to bite off more than they can chew and the side can no longer contend for big trophies.
At the same time, refusing Mbappe due to (ridiculously high) wage demands doesn't sound great right now lol...

Also, the Modric saga is not done yet.
Isco can't hold a candle to that man in the midfield, and if Modric is gone Madrid's chances to doing anything significant this season plummet further.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Atletico OTOH, played... Okay. I didn't think they were great, they created very little for the majority of the game and then got gifted some goals.
Costa looks in great form, he absolutely destroyed Carvajal, Ramos and Varane; I haven't seen Costa this good in a while. And he brought his usual high levels of sh*thousery. Costa, Ramos, Suarez, Vidal... What a league.

Lemar was very good defensively in the first half, and got better as the game went on, but it'll take time for him to get used to the system and play his best.

Greiz looked like a guy who won the WC and was on vacation until a week ago. :D

Godin and Savic were excellent, and Godin is so, so... Soooo good.
(that said, he's hardly played in a an offensive system, I don't think he'd do THAT well in VVD's place at Liverpool, but in the systems he plays in... He's perfect)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
At the same time, refusing Mbappe due to (ridiculously high) wage demands doesn't sound great right now lol...
Vasiliyev says Perez is still made at him for selling Mbappe to PSG rather than Real.

Seems like Monaco accepted the player's will, which means it was never a salary problem.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Vasiliyev says Perez is still made at him for selling Mbappe to PSG rather than Real.

Seems like Monaco accepted the player's will, which means it was never a salary problem.

Oh I don't mean Mbappe went against his will etc., just that Perez flat out refused the wage demands because of Madrid's wage structure (and possibly Cristiano getting mad over an 18-year old getting a huge salary, not to mention everyone else).
At the time, Madrid was still carrying the best 23-man roster in the game, it made sense. Now though, none of the players have been replaced, and game changers like Mbappe don't exactly grow on trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad