La liga part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
If Real Madrid wins Champion's League, then its unquestionable Real still ended up having a better year.
Champions League is bigger than La Liga, but La Liga is still harder to win. I don't think it's unquestionable.

Real Madrid have been garbage this season objectively speaking. Everyone on their team are having poor seasons except Ronaldo.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Lovren's shortcomings have always been overstated. He was made to look a lot worse than he was by the team, and even still his play was better than given credit for.
If Real Madrid wins Champion's League, then its unquestionable Real still ended up having a better year.
Eh...the CL is the biggest trophy but Barcelona dominated LL and won the Copa. I'd say Barca still had the better year.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I've said very little at all about the unbeaten run this season. Even had we done it I think there would have been some context around it. We'd have seen better seasons where the team hadn't been unbeaten. The fact that they'd have had at least 9 draws in the process. Madrid not putting up a challenge. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been noteworthy. It's an impressive feat this day and age and especially in La Liga. Still winning the league is the point and as I noted we've seen more impressive wins than this. That said, when you've got two matches left you take care of business. I've sort of gone from not really caring much at all to being somewhat annoyed that they lost it at this stage. And let me be clear here with whom I'm annoyed. It's Valverde, again. Unless he's hurt, and I don't think he is, you put Messi in the team. It shouldn't have mattered and the players are certainly also accountable, but you put Messi in the squad at the very least. And Valverde is supposedly angry (his words) about losing the unbeaten run.

About the unbeaten run being over played, I'll say what I said about Arsenal back then. They drew 12 matches, which was almost a third of their matches. We've scored almost 25 more goals with a home match still left to be played. We have almost as good a goals against figure (which would be better had they not opened the flood gates for Levante today). It just wasn't as impressive as it was made out to be and had we finished this season unbeaten it probably would have ended up overrating this team relative to it's level by way of performance.

They almost brought it back

Yeah, at least they brought it back a bit. That could have been awful. You have to wonder though if Messi had simply been in the team, not necessarily even starting, could they have brought it back?

Nah he would more fit in with a different team entirely. Lovren had a few awful games but I don't think he ever played that bad.

I would think he'd be a better fit for your lot than us. Either way, per your first post about him, I'd say the jury is still out. He's been a mixed bag. The thing is though he's hardly played. He's played less than 300 minutes in La Liga and probably not much over 300 minutes overall (unless you're factoring in the Copa Catalunya which I think was only one match for him). Yet Pique, who's been playing hurt since at least early February, can't even be rested the majority of the time. Not that it matters because Yerry doesn't even make the squad that much.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I would think he'd be a better fit for your lot than us. Either way, per your first post about him, I'd say the jury is still out. He's been a mixed bag. The thing is though he's hardly played. He's played less than 300 minutes in La Liga and probably not much over 300 minutes overall (unless you're factoring in the Copa Catalunya which I think was only one match for him). Yet Pique, who's been playing hurt since at least early February, can't even be rested the majority of the time. Not that it matters because Yerry doesn't even make the squad that much.

I think if the player is supposed to play and develop he should be nowhere near either team. Liverpool also does have CB's who I am very comfortable with. I saw a backup who is extremely out of form due to not playing which is what would happen to him at Liverpool. Meanwhile Liverpool has a backup in Klavan who can go months without playing, come back into the team and play well.

There is a team in Liverpool that should take him but it isn't ours. He'd start there too and we'd immediately know if he's good or not.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think if the player is supposed to play and develop he should be nowhere near either team. Liverpool also does have CB's who I am very comfortable with. I saw a backup who is extremely out of form due to not playing which is what would happen to him at Liverpool. Meanwhile Liverpool has a backup in Klavan who can go months without playing, come back into the team and play well.

There is a team in Liverpool that should take him but it isn't ours. He'd start there too and we'd immediately know if he's good or not.

I agree about the playing time and development bit. That's what is so hard with us for example. So many matches that you can't "have a week off" if you will. Like I said in the Premiership, normally it'd be the perfect scenario to call up Alena start Mina, but not today and not with Vermaelen. Anyway, like I said, he's essentially played three matches worth of minutes which isn't enough.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yerry Mina was more than awful. He was all over the place and very poor timing. He is big and strong and somehow still looked weak.

Vermaelen is still wih Barca?

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Just found out about the Levante result through my PVR. Wanna thank TSN for this bit of amusement amongst the nonstop hockey coverage.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Disgusting tackle on Dembele. Should have been a straight red without a doubt. Could have been a really bad injury as well :thumbd:

3jBe4X9.jpg

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
He's underrated here for some reason. Which is especially odd because he played in the league that usually leads to everyone becoming overrated.

Despite our disagreement about him compared to Dembele, I quite rate Coutinho. He has to come up in more big matches going forward and I'd like to see him be more consistent over the course of 90 minutes, but you really have to respect the season he's had. I mean take what he did for Liverpool out of it, to slot into Barça like that and contribute 11 goals and 6 assists from midfield in half a season without playing in Europe is kind of crazy.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Despite our disagreement about him compared to Dembele, I quite rate Coutinho. He has to come up in more big matches going forward and I'd like to see him be more consistent over the course of 90 minutes, but you really have to respect the season he's had. I mean take what he did for Liverpool out of it, to slot into Barça like that and contribute 11 goals and 6 assists from midfield in half a season without playing in Europe is kind of crazy.

Don't worry because he's going to. He's never really been a 90 minute player but you can pretty much count on him doing something in the big moments. Scored against Arsenal, City, and Everton too many times to count, scored big goals in those United and Dortmund ties, bossed must win games last season...I think he had five or six goals against City or something ludicrous like that, while never playing striker in any of those games. Could even be more

It's not only the goals but with few exceptions he was influential in every big game Liverpool played. The only thing that has changed with Liverpool is more the fact that they seemed to not need his influence as the team is better with everyone playing a part, which is pretty weird all things considered. The only real weakness he has and you can see it on today's goal is that sometimes he holds onto the ball for way too long. When it ends up like that nobody will notice though.

Reactions: les Habs

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Don't worry because he's going to. He's never really been a 90 minute player but you can pretty much count on him doing something in the big moments. Scored against Arsenal, City, and Everton too many times to count, scored big goals in those United and Dortmund ties, bossed must win games last season...I think he had five or six goals against City or something ludicrous like that, while never playing striker in any of those games. Could even be more

It's not only the goals but with few exceptions he was influential in every big game Liverpool played. The only thing that has changed with Liverpool is more the fact that they seemed to not need his influence as the team is better with everyone playing a part, which is pretty weird all things considered. The only real weakness he has and you can see it on today's goal is that sometimes he holds onto the ball for way too long. When it ends up like that nobody will notice though.

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting going forward actually. I think it'll be more difficult with Messi in the side, but he'll have plenty of opportunities. He's already in a good position with the transfer happening in the January window as he can hit the ground running next season. Exactly how he's been for us too in terms of coming up with a big moment.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
The point is that he is a surefire top 1 or 2 midfielder in the world. Likely means that there is something to argue there, do tell who in their right mind is going to argue against Modrić not being at worst the 2nd best in the world?
Anyone who would argue Modric not being best midfielder in the world last few years is clueless to football. Lots of stat watching fan boys who have no idea how good Modric is. Or Barca hating fans but most respect how good luka is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad