La Liga 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I expected a classic and instead had to suffer through that. Ref was dogshit and both sides suffered as a result, but I definitely felt he held off on giving them yellow cards for similar fouls. Anyway, not happy with the team's performance. I think they were tired out there which would make sense, but they were too sluggish. Passing wasn't nearly crisp enough either and they had too many easy giveaways. Perhaps what was most frustrating was the way they lined up. If you're putting Alba on the ffs put Griezmann in the middle. He was largely a ghost out there, but he should have been played differently. Of the starters only Messi, De Jong (very good performance from him) and Lenglet really stood out.

We're really going to suffer up top with out Suarez and Dembele. Setien needs to get Griezmann in the middle, Messi can play inside right with some freedom of course and then Alba can be the point of attack on the left. Not sure where they're going to do with the emergency signing thing, but not liking our options. There was plenty of time to sign someone with some good options in January but they didn't get it done.

Tough schedule ahead now. I hate to say it, but going out of the Copa might help. Hopefully he'll give Puig some more minutes (would rather him than Rakitic) and maybe Collado can make an impact if he gets some minutes.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
We're really going to suffer up top with out Suarez and Dembele. Setien needs to get Griezmann in the middle, Messi can play inside right with some freedom of course and then Alba can be the point of attack on the left. Not sure where they're going to do with the emergency signing thing, but not liking our options. There was plenty of time to sign someone with some good options in January but they didn't get it done.

You know, I've been watching my hometown team (Club Brugge) play a 3-4-2-1 formation for a couple of years now and I see how much trouble opposing sides have with it and all I can think about is why doesn't Barça ever try that.. I mean they have the players for it

Look, you've got Pique, Umtiti and Lenglet at the back so instead of always sitting one, why not get them all in there. Pique covers the right, Lenglet covers the left.
Alba can take the entire left flank, he already does in the current 4-3-3 but he would be less of a liability with Lenglet providing more cover. Same thing with Semedo on the right, honestly Semedo needs to make forward runs, he doesn't do nearly enough of them right now but switching to this formation would do wonders for him. And again, with Pique covering for him defensively.
This formation also allows for at least 1 of those CB's (mostly either the left or right CB since the central CB would be the last line of defence) to go forward when needed and provide some attacking support.
More so, this system would also allow for Griezmann to stay in the middle as a true striker, with Messi in support in a free role.
That's 3 spots remaining in midfield, ideally you'd have 2 of those go to players who can make runs forward and score the occasional goal and one providing more defensive cover (Busquets). But alternative roles are possible as well depending on the opposition.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Atleti-Ottawa was officially unveiled to the public this afternoon. Sounds like Ottawa's international roster spots are going to be used for young Spanish players. Should be interesting to follow this coming season for them and the payers that come over to Canada.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
You know, I've been watching my hometown team (Club Brugge) play a 3-4-2-1 formation for a couple of years now and I see how much trouble opposing sides have with it and all I can think about is why doesn't Barça ever try that.. I mean they have the players for it

Look, you've got Pique, Umtiti and Lenglet at the back so instead of always sitting one, why not get them all in there. Pique covers the right, Lenglet covers the left.
Alba can take the entire left flank, he already does in the current 4-3-3 but he would be less of a liability with Lenglet providing more cover. Same thing with Semedo on the right, honestly Semedo needs to make forward runs, he doesn't do nearly enough of them right now but switching to this formation would do wonders for him. And again, with Pique covering for him defensively.
This formation also allows for at least 1 of those CB's (mostly either the left or right CB since the central CB would be the last line of defence) to go forward when needed and provide some attacking support.
More so, this system would also allow for Griezmann to stay in the middle as a true striker, with Messi in support in a free role.
That's 3 spots remaining in midfield, ideally you'd have 2 of those go to players who can make runs forward and score the occasional goal and one providing more defensive cover (Busquets). But alternative roles are possible as well depending on the opposition.

I'm completely open to a different formation or alterations to the style of play. In fact we've seen both in the last 5+ years. As I've said, I like a possession based system that also counters when it can. That De Jong goal against Betis is an example of what I'd like to see.

However I'm not a fan of three at the back. I'd love for it to work and if you could have twelve players on the pitch at a time I'd probably be for it, but I'm not a big fan. I think to get the CB mix right is both difficult and likely pretty expensive. Then you focus too much on the wingbacks for width. Anyway, I don't think Pique, Umtiti and Leglet would work. You'd have to replace one of Umtiti or Lenglet with a Marquinhos maybe. I actually think Madrid are much better equipped to play three at the back.

I think you have touched on something will need to be addressed in the near future and that's Messi in a free role. A change in formation might be needed and at minimum we'll need someone better at getting forward than Semedo is.

For me 4-3-3 still works in the future, but we'll need a few signings. If you factor out Rakitic, Vidal and even Busquets, you have De Jong, Arthur and Puig. De Jong can anchor the midfielder with the other two playing CM. However we would still need a different type of CM if you ask me. I think Bruno Fernandes would have worked in that role because of how he presses and his goals from midfield which is something we'd be lacking.

What really scares me going forward are the attacking players. Messi and Suarez are getting older and Dembele can't even train without getting injured. We're going to need to bring in at least one high profile signing this Summer if not two. Hopefully Trincao is ready to perform (he just won player of the month in Portugal).

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Solid game from Barca 2nd half was underwhelming in comparison to the first half for barca but it got the job done. Messi was amazing but I would tried to get him a rest in somewhere. Eibar looks like a good bet. Also MAtS is goat.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Very happy to see the team get the result today as I expected a tough match, but also pleased with much of the performance all things considered. I don't like Getafe and all their fouling, but they're a quality side this season. Were this the Premiership thread I'd be reading about how good Sheffield United are but you won't see anything on this forum about Getafe. Still I felt we should have had at least one more goal and probably could have had two or three more. Either way I'm happy to see the quality chances. And the ref was dogshit yet again. Nyom should have been sent off and happy to see Quique call out the ref's performance. At least he finally figured out in the 88th minute.

Two quality goals. Angel's perhaps a "come and get me" effort. More importantly for me Griezmann's goal. Excellent goal the whole way round. First Messi's assist which from the weight of the pass, the angle, reading the play and nutmegging the defender... he's just unreal. However Griezmann's finish can't be downplayed. Just an excellent finish. Sadly he didn't do too well with two other chances, but he did find Messi with a Messiesque ball from the right which resulted in a header that the keeper had to save. Looks like they're developing an understanding and we're going to need that from here on in considering how thin we are up front. They should have signed Olmo during the window.

Still a difficult stretch on the horizon. Eibar perhaps the easiest fixture, but with their match being postponed today they'l be even more rested.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Atleti-Ottawa was officially unveiled to the public this afternoon. Sounds like Ottawa's international roster spots are going to be used for young Spanish players. Should be interesting to follow this coming season for them and the payers that come over to Canada.

The #Ottleti hashtag is clever as hell

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That Dennis Suarez pass is insane. Also I love Santi

The news going out of Barca is embarrassing. Like this is getting comical. Anyone associated with Bart can f*** off too.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Pretty shocked that no one is bringing this barca news up.

but pique isnt backing down.

bart is a goner there’s no way he gets reflected at this point. Depending on how the season goes and who does get elected pep may return.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It's a special injury/emergency rule

Nevermind that because you're gonna buy an €18m 28 year old striker from a a relegation club, a striker who isn't even starting for his country

We seriously can't get rid of this board quickly enough
Halaand went for the same price :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->