La Liga 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Eye sore of a game from Barcelona aside from ter Stegen, Dembele, and Suarez's individual moments. I'm not sure what Roberto was doing out there in midfield, and Valverde still has Malcom planted on the bench ever since his goal vs Real in the 1st leg.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Not a good advertisement for the Clasico this one. Ref overall was poor, but at least he was pretty even. He sat on his cards far too long and once again Casemiro avoids getting sent off more than once. We were definitely a bit lucky at times with some of the chances Madrid had in that first half. It wasn't all Ter Stegen as they didn't get off great shots. Full credit to him on that Reguilon effort though.

I'm shocked we somehow had more possession? Certainly didn't feel like that all. Perhaps even more weird were our goals essentially coming off of counters considering we were playing Madrid. For me the difference was the individual quality of our players. Three goals against the run of play and that were unexpected. Suarez for me the biggest difference maker on those goals as well and I'd say Man of the Match. Second Clasico this season I'd say that and really he should have had his second Clasico hat-trick were it not for Varane putting the ball into his own net. And full credit to Suarez for putting in a performance like that playing injured and whilst getting injections to cope. Of course he gets zero credit here which is laughable.

Thrilled with the result and the team rising above the poor performance and being outplayed for as much of the match as I thought they were. Even more thrilled they're in another Copa Final. Betis at the Villamarin in the final would seem fitting and make for a nice run if we can win considering we had to get through Sevilla and Madrid to get there.

Really hoping this match sets up the team for the weekend fixture as well. Madrid isn't the same as the manita win earlier in the season and now hopefully the team has a good handle on their level and will play better on Sunday.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Didn’t Semedo foul Vinicius in the area?

(Asking cuz crappy stream)

I'd have called it, but it was very minimal contact and Vinicius went down easily. Ramos' foul on Rakitic, also not called, was worse.

Pro tip: If Sergio Ramos (or any other Madrid player for that matter) is waving for a player to get up for diving it's because he actually fouled him.

Anyway, Casemiro should have been sent off and I think it was Rakitic who could have also been sent off. Not a good showing from the ref.

100% penalty. But Madrid cheats right lol

Right lol.

Right lol

Wrong lol.

Yeah, you got me. I'm a huge Barca fan despite literally never posting about them here and not having watched a non-UCL game of theirs in years.

Your club has been cheating since the days of Franco. You should own it instead of pretending it doesn't happen. you literally just won 3 straight CLs off the back of incredibly one-sided reffing and phantom penalties.

Yeah, he "gets" me all the time too...

I'm actually of the opinion, or at least have been, that Madrid gets calls simply because they get calls and through no present action of their apart from being Real Madrid. Of course their trophy cabinet and much of their legacy is down to Franco's reign. They'd still surely have been a successful club otherwise, but obviously not nearly as successful.

Political historical ties aside, there really isn’t much difference between Madrid and Barca or their fans. Especially in terms of being a girlfriend to the sports governing bodies.

Ignorance aside, there's a really big difference.

What a sprint and pass by Dembele !

On the first goal? What a perfectly weight ball by Alba and what a finish by Suarez.

What a save from Ter Stegen.

As disappointed as I was Cillessen wasn't playing, and I think he should start the final, Ter Stegen came up big again.

Well Dembele is winning the Clasico by himself because that Barca team hasn't been very good.

No. Suarez did as much. Alba played a part in two goals and Ter Stegen made some good saves. Dembele was the key creator I'd say, but he didn't do it alone.

MArcelo is losing it on the bench, lol. If it wasn't for poor finishing, Ter Stegen and Dembele, Real should have won this game.

Well that's just it though, they didn't finish a couple of good chances. The ball didn't fall kindly to Vinicius or Benzema on two chances. Still at the end of the day they were beaten fairly and simply weren't good enough.

Vinicius Jr is amazing... too bad he sucks at finishing/decision making.

He's still raw. He's fast (faster than I thought he was before he came to Madrid), but it's as if when he cuts the ball back on plenty of occasions he's going too fast and isn't in control. He could also put more points on the board considering his appearances. He's only 18 though and he's clearly adapting well.

Eye sore of a game from Barcelona aside from ter Stegen, Dembele, and Suarez's individual moments. I'm not sure what Roberto was doing out there in midfield, and Valverde still has Malcom planted on the bench ever since his goal vs Real in the 1st leg.

I think Sergi was out there to provide some defensive cover as well as to get forward. He's also proven a clutch player on multiple occasions, in multiple Clasicos no less. He got in the box a few times and got forward at times, but I could see having played Malcolm as well. Valverde played it conservative though.

Reactions: TheLeastOfTheBunch

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sure, Alba and Suarez played that ball well. But see, there's a difference here.
How many players can make that Alba pass? Plenty.
How many strikers can shoot that ball like Suarez? Plenty.
How many players can win 4 meters in a span of 10 to separate himself from the defense and then make a perfect pass on the ground to Suarez like Dembele did? Very very few.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Sure, Alba and Suarez played that ball well. But see, there's a difference here.
How many players can make that Alba pass? Plenty.
How many strikers can shoot that ball like Suarez? Plenty.
How many players can win 4 meters in a span of 10 to separate himself from the defense and then make a perfect pass on the ground to Suarez like Dembele did? Very very few.

I would say how many LBs make that pass, which was perfectly weighted from there?
I would add that no, there definitely are not plenty of strikers who score that goal. Shoot like that? Sure. However with a defender in front of them like he had, very, very few.
It was an excellent pass by Dembele to be sure though. However it was the combination of the three that made the goal.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
We ****ing suck.

All things considered, I thought Real played a good game.
They lack clinical finishing and they lack that guy who'll get those important goals in...
And Vinicus, while obviously a fantastic talent who was creating problems for Barca left and right - is still a long way away from a finished product and his decision making and finishing in front of goal needs serious work.
They had the chances, they were creating, they seemed in control, etc. - but you need to score one of those chances in games like this.

It's one of those games though, happens. Barca had 25 shots on goal vs Lyon, never scored. 2 shots on goal vs Madrid, 3 goals.
It was a very Valverde-like performance, where they seem ordinary, MaTS makes a couple of key saves, they score and proceed to win handily.
Not every game needs to be a festival of beauty, and when you have Messi (and Suarez, Dembele, etc.) you will always have a chance or two to win it.
Dembele's been great since his last "episode" and since he apparently "started taking things more seriously" (according to his own teammates).

It's funny, the other week I was praising Sergio Ramos and said I still think he'd be my pick as the best CB in the world - and he still would.
But what on Earth was he thinking on the that own goal by Varane, he just lost it and left his team out to dry... It was completely ridiculous. :D

MaTS though, man. Feels like Hasek sometimes.
It must be so reassuring for Barca to know they're allowed to have an off game here and there and know MaTS will bail them out.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
People whine about players diving in football, calling them sissies...

I'm guessing that was from the own goal play? He seemed in pain after that one.

It's funny because my Dad never watches the game much at all, but if he watches a few minutes with me he's always amazed at how physical it is. Then if I'm talking about the game to extended family, who never watch the game, he always interjects and talks about how physical it is.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
People whine about players diving in football, calling them sissies...

I don't think Varane falls under that category, he was obviously in pain. Dude's a soldier, I've never seen him embellish or fake an injury.

But lets not deny it, football is loaded with problems when it comes to diving and faking injuries and cheating - some leagues and countries more than others.
And La Liga is probably the worst, on the whole.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't think Varane falls under that category, he was obviously in pain. Dude's a soldier, I've never seen him embellish or fake an injury.

But lets not deny it, football is loaded with problems when it comes to diving and faking injuries and cheating - some leagues and countries more than others.
And La Liga is probably the worst, on the whole.
Point is that it can be a dangerous sport.
Nelson Oliveira got stepped on the face the other day.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Barca didn't have 25 shots on goal against Lyon. Not sure where that comes from.

25 shots total. Didn't intend to imply they had 25 shots ON TARGET, if that's what you meant.
But they did have 25 shots towards/on goal.

Lyon 0-0 Barcelona - UEFA Champions League 2018/2019 Live

Doesn't even matter.
Point is, they controlled the game but failed to score. And again Madrid they played an ordinary game but scored at key times.
Sometimes taking your chances means more than creating a lot of them.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So you tell me Barca shot 3 times the ball yesterday?

Agreed with the rest but compare the same thing please, not shots on target with total shots.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I think Sergi was out there to provide some defensive cover as well as to get forward. He's also proven a clutch player on multiple occasions, in multiple Clasicos no less. He got in the box a few times and got forward at times, but I could see having played Malcolm as well. Valverde played it conservative though.

Sergi was anonymous I thought, he didn't really help Semedo in those Vinicius runs either. To be fair, Semedo covered up Vinicius a lot better in the 1st leg so Valverde may have had Sergi in there for another clutch performance vs Real, but I don't think it's wise to go with this formation again on Saturday. Hopefully Alena's in there if Arthur isn't healthy enough to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad