La Liga 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Madrid are a joke.

Since, no one else is going to mention it but what a year Getafe is having. I hate the way they play but it's amazing they are in a CL spot this stage in the year. Top 4 is going to be a tight race hopeful for an underdog team to make it. BetiS!

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It may have been the best performance in a few matches, that doesn't mean they played well, and I honestly don't understand how you can say "really happy with the performance" because for 60+ minutes they played pretty bad. Really soft defence again, lazy backtracking, no creativity in midfield, nonchalant passing resulting in so many giveaways, Coutinho and Suarez being invisible for most of the game etc. If it wasn't for Messi doing Messi things, or if he would have been absent, this would have probably been an easy 3-0 Sevilla win. First goal came out of nowhere, after Sevilla already had a couple of good chances on counter attacks, and when Messi scored his second it was basically our first chance in the second half as well. Now, I do believe from that point on we were in full control of the game and the final 25 minutes were better, with Dembele and Alena adding much more than Vidal and Couts did. In the end, it's a great result I'll give you that, but in no way should anyone within the team be happy with the overall quality of their game yesterday.

With all due respect I completely disagree and I'd say you got plenty wrong here.

• To put the match into context, it was an away match against one of the best teams in the league. In fact I'd say you're completely discounting Sevilla's performance, which overall was good and in the first half was very good. Sevilla were very well organized in the first and worked their tails off. That atmosphere in the Sanchez Pizjuan in the first half was electric too.
  • The above context noted, they did play well. Well isn't good. Well isn't great. Well is fantastic. Well isn't other-worldly. They played well though and your commentary of 60+ minutes where they played "pretty bad" is absolutely false. Sure Sevilla had some chances, but so did we. In fact we had the Vidal header that forced a diving save from Vaclik and then that Pique play in the 32nd minute where it looked like he was playing CF. Then in the second half you had that fantastic chance for Dembele in the box in the 53rd minute to go with us basically having them pinned back in their own half even before our second goal. There were other attacks, whether they led to a shot or not doesn't mean they weren't good, also peppered in there. And as good a first half Sevilla had, things were pretty close and they most certainly weren't playing us off the park.
  • Like I said, Sevilla had chances, but that doesn't equate to a really soft defense. Like I said, a lot of that was down to Sevilla. Take their first goal for example. They're working hard, pressing well and really well organized with at minimum eight players behind the ball in their half. So to break them down the fullbacks, like Alba, needed to get forward. So on their first goal, Messi makes on of the few nonchalant passes we made and they break quickly. Alba is caught up the pitch and they score. Players were backtracking, Alba included, but they weren't quick enough. On top of that Pique very nearly blocked the shot despite having to get over to the opposite side of the box and Ter Stegen got a boot on it. As for their second goal, the defense somehow got disorganized with players in opposite positions, but it should also be noted the finish was excellent.
  • As for the nonchalant passing, few passes were nonchalant. Some were "risky" if you will to try and beat their defense, but maybe three total were nonchalant. One from Messi which I noted (though to be fair he probably gets away with that pretty often), another from the ususal suspect Dembele and maybe one more. The rest were risky, but there were some very good close calls and good passes/ideas that simply didn't connect. Overall the passing and possession stats weren't bad at all and when you consider the opponents performance I'd say they were pretty spot on.
  • While I wouldn't call the midfield very creative, you need to put that into context as well. For starters, you'll only get so much from a midfield consisting of Rakitic, Pique and Vidal. Then when you've got both Rakitic and Pique back defending/playing deeper to cover for the fullbacks going forward you're going to get less creativity. That said Rakitic delivered the assist to Messi on the first goal and he was involved in a few other attacks as well. Then you had Alena's role in the third goal where were it not for him Messi doesn't get the chance much less the goal.
  • The Messi did it all narrative is wrong too. And that goes for @Vasilevskiy 's commentary. Sure it was an excellent strike for the first goal, but look at the build up play and look at the cross. To say it "came out of nowhere" is absolutely false. I just mentioned the third goal. And on the second goal, while Messi's pressure helped create that opportunity, so did Suarez's pressure. In addition to that you had Rakitic and Dembele's passes along with the runs/positioning of Rakitic, Suarez and Coutinho all of which gave Messi space for what was a pretty open chance. And while Messi is integral to our team, that doesn't mean the team falls off a cliff without him. The manita in the first Clasico is prime example of that.
  • As for the final scoreline, we could have 2-5 or 2-6. Of course it could have also been 3/4-5 or 3/4-6. At the end of the day it was 2-4 and I'd say that was an accurate reflection of the match overall.

As for being happy with the performance, you're damn right I'm happy with the performance. We played one of the best sides in the league (fourth best side at minimum if you ask me, I don't care what the league table says), away where they were 7-4-1 since December and in a match where they played good with a very good first half. Still we came back from 1-0 and 2-1 down in that match and won. This just days after a tough away match against a very good Lyon side and smack dab in the middle of a very tough stretch of matches. But hey, don't take my word for it. Both Messi and Sergi said they played well and were happy with the performance.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world

OHHH Shots fired!!

giphy.gif

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Real Madrid has been cheating since the days of Franco. People seriously thought that VAR would put a stop to it?

At the end of the day, when the guys making the decisions are being paid off by Florentino, no amount of technology can fix things.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Right lol
Yeah, you got me. I'm a huge Barca fan despite literally never posting about them here and not having watched a non-UCL game of theirs in years.

Your club has been cheating since the days of Franco. You should own it instead of pretending it doesn't happen. you literally just won 3 straight CLs off the back of incredibly one-sided reffing and phantom penalties.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Yeah, you got me. I'm a huge Barca fan despite literally never posting about them here and not having watched a non-UCL game of theirs in years.

Your club has been cheating since the days of Franco. You should own it instead of pretending it doesn't happen. you literally just won 3 straight CLs off the back of incredibly one-sided reffing and phantom penalties.
Political historical ties aside, there really isn’t much difference between Madrid and Barca or their fans. Especially in terms of being a girlfriend to the sports governing bodies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That's a penalty Ramos on Rakitic too. 1-1.

OTOH, there was a card that should have been give to Semedo (?) for his foul on the Rea LB there. It was awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad