La Liga 2018-19

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by bluesfan94, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vasilevskiy

Vasilevskiy I've many surnames

Yeah, without Messi Sevilla takes this one rather easily

2. Scandale du Jour

Scandale du Jour JordanStaal#1Fan

Supervisor, Business Intelligence (Sales)
    Home Page:
    Real soooooo lucky to be up at the half. Sooooo lucky.

Could have been 3 or 4 to 1 for Levante.

3. Power Man

Power Man Grrrr

We stink

Scandale du Jour likes this.
  4. Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon Dybalascibar

Madrid are a joke.

Since, no one else is going to mention it but what a year Getafe is having. I hate the way they play but it's amazing they are in a CL spot this stage in the year. Top 4 is going to be a tight race hopeful for an underdog team to make it. BetiS!

5. les Habs

les Habs Registered User

With all due respect I completely disagree and I'd say you got plenty wrong here.

• To put the match into context, it was an away match against one of the best teams in the league. In fact I'd say you're completely discounting Sevilla's performance, which overall was good and in the first half was very good. Sevilla were very well organized in the first and worked their tails off. That atmosphere in the Sanchez Pizjuan in the first half was electric too.
    • The above context noted, they did play well. Well isn't good. Well isn't great. Well is fantastic. Well isn't other-worldly. They played well though and your commentary of 60+ minutes where they played "pretty bad" is absolutely false. Sure Sevilla had some chances, but so did we. In fact we had the Vidal header that forced a diving save from Vaclik and then that Pique play in the 32nd minute where it looked like he was playing CF. Then in the second half you had that fantastic chance for Dembele in the box in the 53rd minute to go with us basically having them pinned back in their own half even before our second goal. There were other attacks, whether they led to a shot or not doesn't mean they weren't good, also peppered in there. And as good a first half Sevilla had, things were pretty close and they most certainly weren't playing us off the park.
    • Like I said, Sevilla had chances, but that doesn't equate to a really soft defense. Like I said, a lot of that was down to Sevilla. Take their first goal for example. They're working hard, pressing well and really well organized with at minimum eight players behind the ball in their half. So to break them down the fullbacks, like Alba, needed to get forward. So on their first goal, Messi makes on of the few nonchalant passes we made and they break quickly. Alba is caught up the pitch and they score. Players were backtracking, Alba included, but they weren't quick enough. On top of that Pique very nearly blocked the shot despite having to get over to the opposite side of the box and Ter Stegen got a boot on it. As for their second goal, the defense somehow got disorganized with players in opposite positions, but it should also be noted the finish was excellent.
    • As for the nonchalant passing, few passes were nonchalant. Some were "risky" if you will to try and beat their defense, but maybe three total were nonchalant. One from Messi which I noted (though to be fair he probably gets away with that pretty often), another from the ususal suspect Dembele and maybe one more. The rest were risky, but there were some very good close calls and good passes/ideas that simply didn't connect. Overall the passing and possession stats weren't bad at all and when you consider the opponents performance I'd say they were pretty spot on.
    • While I wouldn't call the midfield very creative, you need to put that into context as well. For starters, you'll only get so much from a midfield consisting of Rakitic, Pique and Vidal. Then when you've got both Rakitic and Pique back defending/playing deeper to cover for the fullbacks going forward you're going to get less creativity. That said Rakitic delivered the assist to Messi on the first goal and he was involved in a few other attacks as well. Then you had Alena's role in the third goal where were it not for him Messi doesn't get the chance much less the goal.
    • The Messi did it all narrative is wrong too. And that goes for @Vasilevskiy 's commentary. Sure it was an excellent strike for the first goal, but look at the build up play and look at the cross. To say it "came out of nowhere" is absolutely false. I just mentioned the third goal. And on the second goal, while Messi's pressure helped create that opportunity, so did Suarez's pressure. In addition to that you had Rakitic and Dembele's passes along with the runs/positioning of Rakitic, Suarez and Coutinho all of which gave Messi space for what was a pretty open chance. And while Messi is integral to our team, that doesn't mean the team falls off a cliff without him. The manita in the first Clasico is prime example of that.
    • As for the final scoreline, we could have 2-5 or 2-6. Of course it could have also been 3/4-5 or 3/4-6. At the end of the day it was 2-4 and I'd say that was an accurate reflection of the match overall.

As for being happy with the performance, you're damn right I'm happy with the performance. We played one of the best sides in the league (fourth best side at minimum if you ask me, I don't care what the league table says), away where they were 7-4-1 since December and in a match where they played good with a very good first half. Still we came back from 1-0 and 2-1 down in that match and won. This just days after a tough away match against a very good Lyon side and smack dab in the middle of a very tough stretch of matches. But hey, don't take my word for it. Both Messi and Sergi said they played well and were happy with the performance.

6. les Habs

les Habs Registered User

Wait, didn't Madrid say they didn't like VAR?

7. TheLeastOfTheBunch

TheLeastOfTheBunch Franchise Centre

I can't believe they called this a penalty;

VAR in Spain needs some work

8. Power Man

Power Man Grrrr

Yeah that was soft tbh

9. Scandale du Jour

Scandale du Jour JordanStaal#1Fan

Supervisor, Business Intelligence (Sales)
    Home Page:
    Spain mostly need to confiscate Perez's "check"book. ;)

10. Juve

Juve Registered User

OHHH Shots fired!!

[​IMG]

11. StevenF1919

StevenF1919 Registered User

Real Madrid has been cheating since the days of Franco. People seriously thought that VAR would put a stop to it?

At the end of the day, when the guys making the decisions are being paid off by Florentino, no amount of technology can fix things.

12. KoozNetsOff 92

KoozNetsOff 92 Hala Madrid

Lol. ******** barca fans are hilarious.

13. StevenF1919

I'm not a Barca fan, far from it actually. There is not a team on Earth that more blatantly cheats than Madrid. They're much, much worse than even Barca and Juve.

14. Cassano

Cassano nyeah eh

Software Engineer
    Juve cheat more in italy for sure.

15. Duchene2MacKinnon

Playing like ****... come on Messi FC

16. Duchene2MacKinnon

Nasty challenge by the real german Kroos.

les Habs likes this.
  17. Power Man

Power Man Grrrr

Didn’t Semedo foul Vinicius in the area?

(Asking cuz crappy stream)

18. Duchene2MacKinnon

Nope

He might've fouled Ronaldo though.

19. KoozNetsOff 92

100% penalty. But Madrid cheats right lol

20. KoozNetsOff 92

Right lol

21. StevenF1919

Yeah, you got me. I'm a huge Barca fan despite literally never posting about them here and not having watched a non-UCL game of theirs in years.

Your club has been cheating since the days of Franco. You should own it instead of pretending it doesn't happen. you literally just won 3 straight CLs off the back of incredibly one-sided reffing and phantom penalties.

22. koyvoo

koyvoo For Badgeholders Only

Political historical ties aside, there really isn’t much difference between Madrid and Barca or their fans. Especially in terms of being a girlfriend to the sports governing bodies.

23. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

What a sprint and pass by Dembele !

24. Juve

Juve Registered User

Does anybody else find Ray Hudson to super annoying?

25. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

That's a penalty Ramos on Rakitic too. 1-1.

OTOH, there was a card that should have been give to Semedo (?) for his foul on the Rea LB there. It was awful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.