La Liga 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Did they stop play there because he hit the camera in the sky? first time I've seen that...

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Bernabeu’s attendance was 48k. The lowest since last game of 2008/09 season. That was also the last game before Ronaldo was bought.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Nice win against Alaves. Expected of course, but I thought they played well. While Alaves might have had a goal or two themselves, we should have had four or five really. Messi looking in mid season form already and easily Man of the Match. Chief goalscorer and chief creator. I've read some mixed reviews about Dembele's performance, but I'd say it was pretty good. Mixed is probably an apt description. Good to see him on the left, but I thought he got in the way of a couple of Alba's balls. It's early days though. Rakitic had a very good match. Some excellent balls from him. Umtiti also quietly looked in last season's form.

An absolute master class from Messi, especially with the passes he made in the first half against a well-structured Alaves side. Evidently Barça needed creativity in the midfield, and Valverde did well substituting Coutinho and moving Sergi back to RB, although Sergi shouldn't have started in midfield versus a well set-up defence in the first place.

Coutinho took his goal well, but I don't think he added that much else. I would also add that it looks clear to me he had a different role. He was on the left with Sergi on the right of course, but Sergi was playing more like a forward than a midfielder. He was up as far as Suarez most of the time. I really don't think that role suits him. I think if you're going to play him in midfield then you have him play like Paulinho did.

Phil schoen is a piece of **** racist ... who knew.

What did I miss?

What are people's opinions on Roberto? I see him start every week for Barca in La Liga, but I always feel that he's not at Barcelona's quality as a player.

Full disclosure my friend, he's my third favorite player, but he's definitely Barça quality. That doesn't mean he's Xavi/Iniesta quality, but I would say he's underrated. As I note above, I don't think he was used properly in this match when Valverde slotted him into the midfield. However I thought he had a good match at RB. Better than Semedo. Semedo is better defensively if you ask me, in part due to his pace, but generally Sergi contributes more to the attack. It's really odd too considering how good Semedo can be getting forward. Anyway, while I think @Duchene2MacKinnon is correct in his reasoning, I'd add to that he's a fantastic passer and he's come up in multiple big matches (two Clasicos, that infamous CL match against PSG). He makes good runs off and even on the ball too. I still say we didn't need Paulinho and we didn't need Vidal when we have Sergi who can play that role. At the end of the day here's a guy who was a CM who when asked to play RB made the job his on one of the best sides in the World. In the process he's averaged 6 assists a season those three seasons and at most started 26 matches. If he's going to be a RB he still has plenty of room to improve defensively, but he's getting better over time.

Reactions: S E P H

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I always thought that Bale would look much better without Ronaldo. Now's his chance to prove it. He's certainly been on a mission in preseason and looked great in his first game. If he can be back at the level he was at when he left Tottenham, or even better, Real Madrid will certainly be in good shape this season, though I never really thought he'd be at his most effective in a possession based system so we'll see what happens...

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If only Simeone opens up like this every game... Atleti would be a force. Sigh.

Nice goal by Correa. Griezzy with some great passes already.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Fun game. Both Wass and Gameiro with huge chances to give Valencia the win.

Atleti looked the better team in the first half, not so much after that.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Btw, what's with the late-night kick-offs in La Liga this year? Are they just for the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad