La Liga 2018-19 Part II

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Now watch the ballon d’or go to Ronaldo or a random player because, you know, Messi didn’t win the CL. Thank god there is no major intl competition this summer.
Not sure where your head is at but Messi won the CL and the Copa America this year. He went 4/4

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Now watch the ballon d’or go to Ronaldo or a random player because, you know, Messi didn’t win the CL. Thank god there is no major intl competition this summer.
Depends if CR7 keeps scoring for fun against Europe's elite in CL. A lot of emphasis put on that tournament. If Juve win it, he'll win it, otherwise it'll be Messi IMO.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Wow. What an advertisement for La Liga. I'm not just talking about the goals, and there were 5 absolutely top drawer ones in this match, or Barça's performance here. Such great stuff. The first half especially. I think every league has their own story and can be interesting in their own way, but I don't think you get this stuff anywhere else much less at this level. I confess I would love to live in the English countryside and decked out in Harris Tweed walk my dog across a foggy field to the pub on a Sunday afternoon. However I would make sure to get home and catch La Liga's late night fixture with the dog sitting in front of the fire.

Full credit to @Duchene2MacKinnon for making mention of them, albeit thanks to Lo Celso, but Betis is such an interesting team right now. What's really neat is they have this sort of band of players who at some point in their career, and we're not talking old men here either, were pretty notable for a while but who for some reason or other never really went far past their fifteen minutes. Somehow it all comes together and with a 3-5-2 formation to boot. Of course you can't make that statement without recognizing Setien. And you can't mention Betis without mentioning their supporters. Fantastic atmosphere at the Villamarin, demanding two strikers be put on as they were down 0-3 only for one of them, Moron who is a local lad, to score an excellent goal and then finally applauding Messi immediately after that last goal. I'll go out on a limb and say I don't think St Patrick's Day had anything to do with it either.

During the Eleven Sports broadcast Graham Hunter, who was a wealth of interesting knowledge, mentioned that the Barça players felt that if they won this match the league would be over. I think there's still time for that to change even though I don't think it will, but where I'm going here is you could see it in the performance. An away match after the CL match against Lyon could have meant a slow start and sluggish performance, but it was anything but in that first half as they met the frenetic pace of Betis and away atmosphere head on. Again really happy with the team performance. I would just add that I don't know how we can buy a lot of players for next season. I mean De Jong is going to join a midfield where everyone is performing. I'm not saying he won't win a place, but who do we get rid of? How do we bring in De Ligt when Pique, Lenglet and Umtiti are there?

What can you say about Messi? You just have to watch and smile. There simply can't be a goal scoring highlight reel from any other player that comes close to his. I've said it before, but almost every goal he scores is excellent. There are pretty much no sitters and no shitters. To the point I brought up about the players thinking this one was going to clinch the league, Messi was all over the place too. What will be missed in the analogs of history is that he was really close to adding a fourth late on with a shot off the post that was inches away from deflecting into the goal.

That brings me to Suarez. I feel as though I need to go to some meeting tomorrow night and proclaim "My name is Chris and I'm a Luis Suarez fan". I could bemoan him not getting the hat trick he really should have, but he still showed up. Forget his excellent goal which scored at the age of 32 with bad knees. Look at that assist. If that were Messi I'd have read about it here. He put that ball right into Messi's path for that second goal and without even looking. Sure they have a helluva partnership, but it takes two to tango and Messi has a fantastic dance partner. @Corto posted some graphic/video the other day showing five top players' goals as they aged and what I personally took away from that was how many goals Suarez has. I just hope that his sprained ankle doesn't keep him out long. Anyway, I've never really warmed to him a lot, but maybe I'm there now and it's going past the point of appreciation of his ability. Forget his ability though, the guy is a born entertainer and I find myself laughing thanks to him just about every match.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Depends if CR7 keeps scoring for fun against Europe's elite in CL. A lot of emphasis put on that tournament. If Juve win it, he'll win it, otherwise it'll be Messi IMO.

In a nutshell, yes.

If Barca win CL, Messi wins it.
If Juve win CL, Ronaldo wins it.

Now, if neither win, that's when the fun starts. Is it someone from the CL winner who's worthy? Sterling? Virgil? o_O
Or do they just give it to Messi anyway - always an option.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Only way Virgil can win it, IMO, is if Liverpool win the PL and CL, and even then with the form that Messi is in...IDK, he's having a ridiculous season.

Also yes, Suarez is a gem. Lost his mind a few times but he's been a joy to follow.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Suarez just has that very passionate South American character. Dude does everything it takes to win; he always works his absolute ass off, but he can also be repulsive and false if he has to. I learned to respect him for it even during his Groningen days, but I can see why he's hated worldwide if he's not representing the team you support. Not saying I support his antics all the time, but I can see where it comes from; it's a side effect from being so freaking passionate.

Also I hope everyone around here is aware how lucky they are to witness the career of Messi live. I still envy those who got to watch Cruijff, for instance, but when we are old, grumpy and in a retirement home ourselves, people will be absolutely jealous we watched him during his entire career. Not to mention watching him duke it out with another all time great in Ronaldo. Not sure we will see another one quite like him during our lifetime. It took more than two decades after Pele & Cruijff for another GOAT candidate to arise.

Just happy I watched him live during the U20 WC in the Netherlands in 2005. Astoundingly good already. Miles better than the rest. Won the title and scored the game winner in every knock-out game, I believe.

Reactions: YNWA14

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Cavani is damn passionnate and he doesn't bite people.
Ronaldo and Messi also are (though Messi doesn't show it the same way). And he's not biting anyone.

Reactions: Cassano

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
@les Habs To be fair I mentioned them even before Lo Celso came to town. When Bartra came and had my eye on them even before that.

Cavani is damn passionnate and he doesn't bite people.
Ronaldo and Messi also are (though Messi doesn't show it the same way). And he's not biting anyone.

SA just go around biting people apparently lool. Seriously, though I don't think he means the biting part but rather the fighting tooth and nail and arguing over every little play. I think that's what he means.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Messi wins the award no matter what. His stats are unreal this season. His play magesterial and scintilating.

I laugh at you Greizman for daring to proclaim yourself on the same level as Messi. I also laugh at Modric beating Messi out for anything. I haven't noticed him since.

Patito

Dec 8, 2009
Valencia
Liga: Valence attaqué par les créateurs de Batman pour son logo

I thought this was over, but apparently not. This is the utmost american stupidity. DC comics is suing Valencia over their "bat" logo. Valencia was using the bad logo before DC comics was born. Dumbasses.
This stupidity was news a few years ago and soon stopped talking about the subject. Valencia CF just yesterday fulfilled 100 years of history and the shield with minimal variations has been the same for a century. In addition the reason that the bat appears on the shield is because the shield of the city of Valencia also has a bat due to an ancient legend.
300px-Escudo_de_Valencia_2.svg.png

This is the shield of the city of Valencia, nothing related to football, dates from the year 1337 :)

Patito

Dec 8, 2009
Valencia
imagen.aspx

Levante UD is second Valencia city team. Older than Valencia CF and they uses bat for same reasons.
Like you said Evilo , dumbasses

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
This stupidity was news a few years ago and soon stopped talking about the subject. Valencia CF just yesterday fulfilled 100 years of history and the shield with minimal variations has been the same for a century. In addition the reason that the bat appears on the shield is because the shield of the city of Valencia also has a bat due to an ancient legend.
300px-Escudo_de_Valencia_2.svg.png

This is the shield of the city of Valencia, nothing related to football, dates from the year 1337 :)
I know, it's why I thought it was over. But apparently not :facepalm:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

So I'm guessing the translation here is that Messi somehow pushes Joaquin off a ledge and then gets a red card.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad