Speculation: LA Kings with heavy interest in Landeskog

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Exactly except Lombardi then waived both of them and called up Nolan and King. Why hasn't he called up anyone from Ontario?

You can't re tool when you keep playing Setogucci, King, Lewis, Clifford...

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Exactly except Lombardi then waived both of them and called up Nolan and King. Why hasn't he called up anyone from Ontario?

agreed....Brodzinski is on fire and should get the call. Consider also that Dowd is now going to miss some time.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Double edge sword. Kopitar is playing awfully but also isn't given the tools to succeed. Trevor Lewis and Dwight King are not and never will be top-6 players.

Kopitar could've taken less money. Might've helped the team's tool box.

Listen to the Mayor he is dead on. The roster is STALE.

Too many bottom 6'ers. Why are they playing Setogucchi? King? Lewis? Why haven't they dealt one of Clifford, Nolan or Andreoff? Why haven't they called up anyone at forward from the AHL?

Not easy to make trades, and the AHL isn't where you're supposed to dump contracts, which Lombardi has already done that twice this year.

The problem is that Brown is being paid like a top 6 forward, as is Gaborik. Add them to Kopitar, Carter, Toffoli, and Pearson, and you've got 6 top 6 forwards, leaving 6-8 bottom 6 forwards to fill out the 6-8 other forward spots on the roster, which seems to be about right.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Guess when Nolan and King were called up? Hint: it hadn't happened yet. One thing I do agree on is this reminds me a lot of the 2012 team minus Quick.

Mersch hasn't been called up because he's injured, Kempe has been inconsistent, Brodz probably deserves it over both this year anyway. The callups haven't happened because of roster issues/slots--I can imagine after this allstar break we'll see some movement. Time will tell if that's too late or not.

Edit: The answer to the trivia question was February 10th.

Also fun/sad fact I dug up that I didn't know was that Jordan Nolan has an older brother Brandon that played a couple of games for the hurricanes but got his career shortened/ended by a concussion :(

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I'd expect some coffee cups for some of the Ontario contingent at some point. Seems like standard operating procedure to give some of the kids a taste during the second half of the season.

Why are they not being called up now to help the "stale" roster? Because they won't turn this team in to a real contender all of a sudden. Still better for them to lead the Reign and be the best players on that team than to get 10 minutes a night up here the rest of the season.

As for Sutter, he knew this season was going to be rough going into it unless everything went perfectly. That dream ended during the WC and was then buried at the end of the 1st period of the first game of the season.

What we have now is a developmental season of sorts for the new guys. Sutter actually seems to be enjoying it as I've noted previously with how he doesn't seem to be as prickly. I wouldn't have expected it but it makes sense when you think about it. There is really no pressure on him with the built in excuses of injuries and under performing contracts. There isn't going to be some big media push to remove him either.

He's in the catbird seat. If everyone is healthy next season, he'll have a better roster by default. Then let's see what happens with the prospects, expansion draft and any moves DL is able to pull off.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
:cry:

It's kinda getting to me at this point. Getting kinda sad about the Kings. There'll be hope again soon.

With Quick out it's probably just better to leave the guys in the AHL so they can make the playoffs and go on a run.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Lombardi should be re-tooling and add pieces for the future, not dealing core pieces for Landeskog.

Landeskog is a young top line winger under a good mid-length contract.

I agree he shouldn't trade for Landeskog, but what do you suggest he add?

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Lombardi should be re-tooling and add pieces for the future, not dealing core pieces for Landeskog.

Landeskog would be for now and in the future.

There is definitely an argument for/against moving "core" pieces for him, however.

Of course, it also depends on your definition of a "core" piece. Regardless, Landeskog would immediately become a "core" piece, IMO.

Defense is super important, but this team plays a system that revolves around team defense so the #3-4 d-man is not as important if #s 5-6 are pretty good as well. I think the bottom half of the defense is better this year than last and could handle the loss of Martinez or Muzzin much better than last year's team if they had another capable forward.

My only issue about moving Muzzin for a solid upgrade to the forward position is the possibility of losing another defenseman for nothing in the expansion draft. Dampers my enthusiasm.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Landeskog is a young top line winger under a good mid-length contract.

I agree he shouldn't trade for Landeskog, but what do you suggest he add?

I personally would like to see him try to get some picks out of the dead weight guys on the team unless they make some miracle run between now and the trade deadline

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Lombardi should do the same thing he did in 2013 and 2014, deal dead weight.

He should try and deal Gilbert, Setogucchi, Clifford, Purcell, and King. He should call up Brods and Kempe. Nick Shore should be on waivers - he is terrible.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Lombardi should do the same thing he did in 2013 and 2014, deal dead weight.

He should try and deal Gilbert, Setogucchi, Clifford, Purcell, and King. He should call up Brods and Kempe. Nick Shore should be on waivers - he is terrible.

Only two of those guys are really regulars in Clifford and King with one of them not even being in the NHL.

Shore has more trade value than Gilbert, Seto and probably Purcell.

You've brought up trading guys like Loktionov/Drewiske/Westgarth as evidence of dealing "dead weight" but they weren't even playing and they didn't get anything for them. Plus it was at the beginning of the season. They also let a regular NHL defenseman go for absolutely nothing that off-season.

Anyways, the scenarios aren't comparable for multiple reasons.

I know you want the rookies in and I'm not opposed to them seeing some action, but it is wishful thinking to think that this team is all of a sudden going somewhere because Seto and Clifford are gone in favor of two kids with zero NHL experience.

The King/Nolan call-ups worked in conjunction with a coaching change and the Carter trade that put Voynov in the rotation as well. It wasn't just "new blood" making the difference.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
^The team isn't going anywhere anyway, you might as well trade the dead weight and stock up on draft picks for the near future and get some of the young guys experience in the NHL. Trading for a big name like Landeskog or Hanzal isn't going to magically save the season either, not when no one besides Carter and Pearson are producing

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
One thing I was debating on posting was a rumor I heard. I was talking to a season ticket holder that I know speaks to Luc periodically who mentioned to me that the Kings are not expecting Quick back this season. Again, don't kill the messenger, just something I heard and debated on not posting since I do not have any other source to confirm or deny.

Edmonton wouldn't.

Only because of Kopitar's contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad