Kings Article: LA Kings: So What's Up With That Vilardi Guy?

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
After being sidelined for the vast majority of the last two seasons with a pretty serious back injury, Los Angeles Kings center prospect Gabe Vilardi returned to the ice back in November 2019 and we haven’t heard much since.

So how is he doing in his return to hockey? What lies ahead? What challenges lie ahead for him? Is there a projection for what he might become or when he might join the Kings?

Get all the answers here...

LA Kings: So What’s Up With That Vilardi Guy?

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Gabe has certainly had his ups and downs this year. He's been setting guys up right and left that are not capitalizing (sounds familiar). I've also seen him start to raise his arms a couple of times when he thought he scored, but did not. It's just that much harder at this level. His movement and actions still need to be quicker. He plays with a pretty long stick, and that takes a tick longer to get shots off. Even though it wouldn't use his skill set the best, I would not be at all surprised if they started him at RW when he comes up to protect him defensively and from the pace of the NHL. He's got some improvement's to make. That being said, he also has the skill set that would probably thrive more playing on a team with better structure (NHL vs AHL). Playing with less skilled teammates on offense in the AHL often is a challenge that does not get results

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Yes, very nice article and comments above. Vilardi, the Kings and Stothers are all doing things the right way, as in being patient, positive and embracing the challenges ahead. As with some of the other prospects, a taste of the NHL this year, a productive summer and next season's training camp will bring much improvement to the individuals and the team.

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
It’s good that he recognizes skating as his biggest issue (other than health). He seemed extremely slow when I’ve seen him live. A full, healthy summer hopefully helps with that.

Reactions: Basilisk

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
It’s good that he recognizes skating as his biggest issue (other than health). He seemed extremely slow when I’ve seen him live. A full, healthy summer hopefully helps with that.
His pace (and a lot of his game actually) reminds of Amadio in many ways, with even better vision and more skill. Mike improved his pace after working on it for a couple of seasons as a pro, but he's a tick below NHL average as a skater. That's hopefully what Vilardi will become skating wise, he just needs to be able to keep pace, he's never going to out skate guys. He'll have to out skill guys with his vision and ability with the puck and his hands.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
His pace (and a lot of his game actually) reminds of Amadio in many ways, with even better vision and more skill. Mike improved his pace after working on it for a couple of seasons as a pro, but he's a tick below NHL average as a skater. That's hopefully what Vilardi will become skating wise, he just needs to be able to keep pace, he's never going to out skate guys. He'll have to out skill guys with his vision and ability with the puck and his hands.
Mike and Gabe tend to play better with better teammates that can capitalize on their playmaking..
Here's hoping Gabe gets a chance to play with Kopi right off the back..

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Mike and Gabe tend to play better with better teammates that can capitalize on their playmaking..
Here's hoping Gabe gets a chance to play with Kopi right off the back..

I'd like to see that too, but he's certainly not going to win the race to the boards on the forecheck with Tmac's system. I can see him taking Kopi's familiar spot on the PP too, but it would be on the 2nd PP unit, which he can make better instantly.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I'd like to see that too, but he's certainly not going to win the race to the boards on the forecheck with Tmac's system. I can see him taking Kopi's familiar spot on the PP too, but it would be on the 2nd PP unit, which he can make better instantly.
For Gabe to be Kopi's RW would afford him the opportunity to gain more confidence, be next to an elite player, gain experience and not really be asked to carry a line.. not yet at least..

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I've always believed that having a bad AHL team is bad for the development of your prospects. You need some stability down there. The Reign have been erratic. Not a great environment for development IMO.
I disagree, guys usually come up from Ontario in a position to succeed. Coaching can only take you so far when your team is very young, when their playing against much older men and you lack talent..

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Gabe has certainly had his ups and downs this year. He's been setting guys up right and left that are not capitalizing (sounds familiar). I've also seen him start to raise his arms a couple of times when he thought he scored, but did not. It's just that much harder at this level. His movement and actions still need to be quicker. He plays with a pretty long stick, and that takes a tick longer to get shots off. Even though it wouldn't use his skill set the best, I would not be at all surprised if they started him at RW when he comes up to protect him defensively and from the pace of the NHL. He's got some improvement's to make. That being said, he also has the skill set that would probably thrive more playing on a team with better structure (NHL vs AHL). Playing with less skilled teammates on offense in the AHL often is a challenge that does not get results
RW's in McLellan's system have as much defensive and breakout responsibility as centers, and tend to be the last ones to enter the zone on attacks that start from their end. Can't see that being to Vilardi's advantage.

I would hope that they go with the sllllooooowww boil and let him develop as the center they need him to be.

I'd also prefer that they pick up a depth center on waivers or for a 6th or 7th rounder and send JAD back down immediately.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
I've always believed that having a bad AHL team is bad for the development of your prospects. You need some stability down there. The Reign have been erratic. Not a great environment for development IMO.

I agree and wouldn’t mind his getting a cup of coffee on the big club.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Does Ontario need more and better AHL contract veterans to lead, mentor and protect the Kings prospects?

The answer is a simple yes. Sutter has been a good mentor the last couple of years, but his game is falling off rapidly. He scored 21 goals last year, has 3 this year. Bouma is a good AHL player, but he's playing above his skill set due to a lack of talent. He should always be a 3rd or 4th line guy. Things started to go downhill when Mario Kempe left, he was a good glue vet who could play both sides of the puck with speed on the 1st line. His departure hurt a lot. Stanton has been a disappointment on D as the AHL vet, and he's been hurt a lot too. Three big issues with the Reign again this season, poor defense from the forward group along with lapses from defensemen, a lack of team speed and a lot of inexperience. Even Petersen has been uneven in his play. And now injuries and call ups are playing a role too. The team does not have enough depth in the talent pool to be competitive every night with the big dogs in the AHL.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The lack of depth and quality in the AHL is the cost of dealing away so many picks during the waning years of Lombardi.

The age tiers are off balance in this organization. Blake signed a good number of collegiate free agents to resolve one tier, but there is a gap here that takes some stepping back and reviewing the big picture to see. Its going to be a few years before the NHL team takes a step forward, there simply aren't any players ready to step in to impact roles. Its going to take the time it takes and rushing it won't help anybody. There have been some strong picks of late, but Kaliyev isn't even AHL eligible next year, and Turcotte will likely stay in the NCAA. There is no Reign calvary coming in 20-21. Petersen will likely be in LA.

Vilardi, Turcotte, Petersen, they don't need to be saviors. There are going to be several more top 10 picks to come before the team is relevant again. I expect another round of collegiate signings to be made this offseason, as well as some short-term bridge signings. The Kings will be even worse next year, we just need to be patient.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
MV5BMTYxMDkwMjM5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzUxMTgxNw@@._V1_.jpg

What's the deal with this Vilardi guy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad