Kings Article: LA KIngs: Reasons for Optimism and Concern

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The Los Angeles Kings have certainly given their fans reasons to be optimistic, along with causes for concern...

LA KIngs: Reasons for Optimism and Concern

6 games is too small a sample. It's a team in transition, with aging vets and new blood. It takes time for new /young players to mesh into the NHL life, esp in a weird COVID compressed year. They've got a great stable of colts just waiting to get their time to shine. Future is bright. Vilardi is showing why instinct, intensity and IQ are invaluable tools. Once his physical presense and timing kick in, he's a stud for years.
I see a lot more positive, esp in the scoring dept, the defensive lapses are a concern but defense is a hard job and with mixing elements, not easy to find rhythm with a new partner.
They are doing fine, better then I expected.

Reactions: cyclones22

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Well said, dee.

Not having a real training camp/pre season games is going to be an issue for most clubs, especially those with new faces and/or an influx of youth to the lineup. It’s going to take a bit of time to mesh and get systems implemented by the coaching staff perfected.

The kids will be alright and this team looks to be headed in the right direction. I am a glass half full guy and have been encouraged by what I have seen in the early going. Mind you, I have not had the opportunity to watch all the games thus far like most on here.

Of the vets in the early going, Carter looks better than last season.

Reactions: KingsCourt

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
6 games is too small a sample. It's a team in transition, with aging vets and new blood. It takes time for new /young players to mesh into the NHL life, esp in a weird COVID compressed year. They've got a great stable of colts just waiting to get their time to shine. Future is bright. Vilardi is showing why instinct, intensity and IQ are invaluable tools. Once his physical presense and timing kick in, he's a stud for years.
I see a lot more positive, esp in the scoring dept, the defensive lapses are a concern but defense is a hard job and with mixing elements, not easy to find rhythm with a new partner.
They are doing fine, better then I expected.

You might want to read the story...

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Nice quotes and insights for the article. Besides the penalties, which have been ridiculously high, the main problem on D has been allowing too many odd-man rushes because of too many players being below the puck in the offensive zone. I think part of that is defense partnerships getting to know one another. I'm excited about the offense and that goals are being scored by the youth on the team. Another thing to take heart in is that these 6 games were against 3 strong teams. So that the Kings can play competitive almost coin flip hockey vs these teams is a good sign.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Optimism and concern. That sounds to me like we need to take the good and take the bad, take them both and there we have

Optimism and concern visualized, also a good representation of us watching the first 5 games

EZm.gif

Reactions: Lt Dan

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Agreed heavily on the Dzone play, period, though. Everything else looks various degrees of fine. Not gonna get 6 penalties a game--look at those phantom interference calls, and multiple too-many-mens while minnesota trots 7 out with an empty net--that'll even out. The luck will take care of itself to some degree. And never mind the early season jitters. I think the most controllable, fixable thing will be the clean coverage, clean exits.

It was supremely ugly getting here but considering opponents and situations, 2-2-2 is about right and shows good signs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->