Kings Article: LA Kings LW Prospect Austin Wagner Has Speed Comparable To Connor McDavid

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's a bold claim but having seen him live a few times good lord. Obviously his other hockey abilities aren't head-and-shoulders above anyone else, but on skating alone, it looks like a teenager playing with ten year olds.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
These are my observations on Wagner this season:

His game has improved the last month, not unexpected from a first year pro who missed the start of the season due to injury. He is getting into the dirty areas and is being rewarded (his last two goals Hensick bounced the puck off of him into the next). He learning to better utilize his speed when it's called for, and he is amazingly fast. Maybe faster than Kempe by a half stride, even McDavid speed (Reign put out a video comparing rush goals of Wagner and McDavid utilizing their speed in actual game conditions on the wing and it was a virtual tie, but that's where the comparison ends). He's also scored a couple of nice goals on the backhand/forehand recently on a rush. His puck handling is average to maybe a bit below average, and I would say his passing is below average consistently (in other words, he doesn't have great hands, but not the worst either). These areas need to improve to play in the NHL. He plays with a physical edge, gets into a lot of scrums and a few fights. I'd like to see him play smarter with his physical game. He takes runs at players along the boards, and many times his hits are boarder line dirty or late (boarding penalties). His defense is a work in progress. Ceiling of 3rd line is likely accurate if he is able to make the jump. It's hard to not like the possibility given his speed, but he'll need to improve in his consistency in the most basic areas of the game to make the NHL. He could get a look late next season if he continues to improve, but it will be all the little things that make an NHLer that will make that happen. He is still only 20 years old.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
So is it Wagner like Billy Wagner, the longtime Astros closer? (and should-be Hall of Famer, imo.)

Or Wagner like the very serious Der Ring des Nibelungen composer?

Either way, this is exciting. He and Kempe could give defenses fits with those kind of wheels.

Reactions: RONNIEC

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
These are my observations on Wagner this season:

His game has improved the last month, not unexpected from a first year pro who missed the start of the season due to injury. He is getting into the dirty areas and is being rewarded (his last two goals Hensick bounced the puck off of him into the next). He learning to better utilize his speed when it's called for, and he is amazingly fast. Maybe faster than Kempe by a half stride, even McDavid speed (Reign put out a video comparing rush goals of Wagner and McDavid utilizing their speed in actual game conditions on the wing and it was a virtual tie, but that's where the comparison ends). He's also scored a couple of nice goals on the backhand/forehand recently on a rush. His puck handling is average to maybe a bit below average, and I would say his passing is below average consistently (in other words, he doesn't have great hands, but not the worst either). These areas need to improve to play in the NHL. He plays with a physical edge, gets into a lot of scrums and a few fights. I'd like to see him play smarter with his physical game. He takes runs at players along the boards, and many times his hits are boarder line dirty or late (boarding penalties). His defense is a work in progress. Ceiling of 3rd line is likely accurate if he is able to make the jump. It's hard to not like the possibility given his speed, but he'll need to improve in his consistency in the most basic areas of the game to make the NHL. He could get a look late next season if he continues to improve, but it will be all the little things that make an NHLer that will make that happen. He is still only 20 years old.

Sounds like a little bit of a more aggressive Trevor Lewis, which isn't a bad thing.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Wagner played second fiddle on that great Regina team last season.

With exception of Sam Steel, they all play professional hockey now and all are struggling.

He has the tools to become a great 3rd liner for years to come.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I keep saying Wagner's speed and bite is very similar to Chris Kreider. Might not be as talented, but it's still an unusual mix in our organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad