Confirmed with Link: LA Kings @LAKings Welcome to Los Angeles, Phillip Danault!

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Seemed like Danault took (and mostly won) every defensive zone draw against Vegas and TB!

If Kopi has the same TOI both overall and short-handed as last season, my head will explode. He should be well over 50% offensive zones starts as well. So should all the other young centers. If that doesn't happen, Danault's signing is wasted and TMc is back on the craplist for me.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
If Kopi has the same TOI both overall and short-handed as last season, my head will explode. He should be well over 50% offensive zones starts as well. So should all the other young centers. If that doesn't happen, Danault's signing is wasted and TMc is back on the craplist for me.
Might wanna watch your head.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
One stat that Danault will improve dramatically -

Last season Kopitar took 1154 face offs, second behind him was Vilardi at only 634. Get Kopitar below 900.

The last time Kopitar wasn't miles ahead of the next guy on face-offs taken, was 16-17, the last time Carter was Carter. As a King anyway.

The last time the Kings had 3 centers take 1,000 face-offs was 14-15. And 11-12 before that.

The last time Kopitar wasn't 1st in faceoffs taken on the Kings was 10-11, when he was 3rd, behind Handzus and Stoll.

Reactions: Lt Dan and YP44

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
The Danault signing frees Kopitar from playing a defensive centre position which has to be good! LA hasn't had a good-great defensive centre since Stoll!

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I definitely would. Throw him in the top 6 next to Danault and see what he can do. .8 PPG the last 2 seasons in the KHL is pretty damn good. Was also over a PPG player in the QMJHL a few years ago.

Athanasiou - Danault - Tkachev would be my second line. Pair Danault, a 5 on 5 beast, with our best 5 on 5 scorer last season.
Personally want to see Lias with Danault and Athanasiou! Tkachyov will be one of the 20 forwards vying for the 14 jobs there are! And I don't like his chances but you never know...besides he's going to playing a new position(RWing) since the Kings don't believe in off-wing assignments and want their players to play rightie/rightie and leftie/leftie which to me is asinine!

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
Personally want to see Lias with Danault and Athanasiou! Tkachyov will be one of the 20 forwards vying for the 14 jobs there are! And I don't like his chances but you never know...besides he's going to playing a new position(RWing) since the Kings don't believe in off-wing assignments and want their players to play rightie/rightie and leftie/leftie which to me is asinine!

I'm not sure that's true. Aren't they keeping Kaliyev on his off wing?

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Danault is an excellent defensive center. He wins about 51-53% of faceoffs in defensive zone. He’s a very reliable penalty killer and is very solid 5 on 5. He’s a or two lower than Sean Couturier in terms of two way center. The only down side is he’s not an offensive producer. Most of his points come from playing with Pacioretty Radulov Gallagher and Tatar. I don’t know how strong offensively LA is on the wing but by himself I think Danault can give you 10 goals 20-30 assists and around 35-40 points.

if he plays with elite wingers you can expect 40-50 points. For the price tag $5.5 mil per for 6 years at age 28-29, I don’t know. Most players go downhill after 30-32. I expect ok for first two years then contract will be bad after.

But hey he’s an elite defensive forward if the Kings are a contender.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Was surprised at the Danault signing. But its a signing that catches the veterans attention like the Arvidsson trade and the Edler signing. Danault gives the Kings the defensive presence they had with Stoll and Kopitar and M Richards to a certain degree. All guys that played a 200 ft game and in the NHL that means security! Danault was a signing for the now...

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
We are not going to reap the rewards from the Danault signing for at least a few more years. If we are able to slide him down to 3C because we got 2 better centers than him it means we are close to contention. His job until then is to help the bring up of prospects onto the roster and get some life back into Kopi's legs.

Reactions: YP44

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I can't read these things. I just look at these formless blobs and assume I'm supposed to see something about my mother and talk to a shrink.

What in hell am I supposed to get from this?
Good players do good things. Good things have better results than bad things.

Shocking, I know, we never used to be able to figure that out until spread sheet addiction nerded its way into sports.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I find it funny that analytics get panned so much here given that the Kings have had Rob Vollman, one of the founding hockey analytics minds, on payroll since 2018. We've been using them to help the rebuild, Yanetti mentioned it directly in his interview with Hoven the other day. A quote from Vollman: “Analytics isn’t meant to replace anything. It is a supplement. Like new training techniques, or improved equipment, it is meant to give a team an edge, not get rid of what is already being done.”

Re: the heat map charts, I find them helpful because it could theoretically pinpoint weaknesses in a system. It could also help a team figure out what kind of strengths to look for in a goalie. If you know your system/players are good at suppressing a certain shot type, but give up others, you can either use the info to improve or use it to select players/goalie who compliment your current weaknesses. Yes, watching Kopitar it's easy to see he's good at shutting down the other team, but it's not always as easy to pinpoint where he's making his stops and what areas the few he gives up are in.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I find it funny that analytics get panned so much here given that the Kings have had Rob Vollman, one of the founding hockey analytics minds, on payroll since 2018.
Kings have been horrible since 2018. I wouldnt use these years as a measuring stick of success.
Was Maatta brought in because of analytics? What moves have they made that make you think analytics are making a positive difference?
Im not trying to argue I just really dont know what analytics have done for them.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Kings have been horrible since 2018. I wouldnt use these years as a measuring stick of success.
Was Maatta brought in because of analytics? What moves have they made that make you think analytics are making a positive difference?
Im not trying to argue I just really dont know what analytics have done for them.

Totally fair. I was more speaking to the fact that there’s a general disdain for them at times here even when the team we all cheer for clearly sees their value. Yanetti receives almost universal praise here and he mentions how useful they are in scouting in the interviews he does.

In terms of examples with the big club, I think targeting players like Arvidsson and Danault show an analytic basis. Arvidsson’s had bad shooting percentage luck and should positively regress, whereas Danault’s offensive play-driving impact is clearly valued here and with the org even when he’s not always putting up box stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->