Kings Article: LA Kings Anze Kopitar Wins Selke Trophy, But Loses To Taylor Hall For Hart Trophy

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Not that I feel that I have to justify myself to anyone, but Gourde helped lead his team to the playoffs. That makes a big difference in my voting.

On a team that had Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman, Vasilevsky, etc. Gourde had a terrific season, but he’s 26. A 20-year old Barzal scored 85 points. I’m glad the PHWA has made the votes transparent now, because that selection is simply baffling.

When was Calder voting based on whether or not the team a player played on qualified for the playoffs? It seems like some members of the PHWA can’t even read what they’re voting on.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
On a team that had Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman, Vasilevsky, etc. Gourde had a terrific season, but he’s 26. A 20-year old Barzal scored 85 points. I’m glad the PHWA has made the votes transparent now, because that selection is simply baffling.

When was Calder voting based on whether or not the team a player played on qualified for the playoffs? It seems like some members of the PHWA can’t even read what they’re voting on.

Simply put, as more than one GM has told me in the past, it's one thing to stand out on a team that isn't all that good. It's another to be solid contributor on one that is.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Simply put, as more than one GM has told me in the past, it's one thing to stand out on a team that isn't all that good. It's another to be solid contributor on one that is.

“The Calder Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League.”

It’s based on regular season performance, and you’re not Dean Lombardi trying to assemble a team. Remember when the likes of Kopitar and Doughty broke into the league and stood out on bad teams as well? Did you ding them for failing to get the Kings to the playoffs then as well?

I didn’t realize Yanni Gourde powered the Lightning into the playoffs. I guess those other players I named had nothing to do with that.

Did you know that Teemu Selanne’s Jets in ‘93 failed to qualify for the playoffs that year? Using your litmus test, I’m guessing you would’ve voted for Alexei Zhitnik in 1st place in the Calder Trophy ballot that year.

Gourde would’ve been a fine selection for a 3rd place vote, but you sure proved everyone how different you are. Way to go.

I wish the PHWA would revoke voting rights for these “writers” who display incompetence. Like the dude who left out Doughty and Subban and had Giordano, Hamilton, and Mason on his Norris Trophy ballot. This is what happens when bloggers are passed off as journalists.

Reactions: Jisatsu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad