Kings Article: LA Kings 2018-19 Salary Cap, Trade Scenarios, and Voynov Update

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I would have zero problems with Voynov playing for the Kings again.

I believe in second chances(obviously with the exception of murder, etc.)Dude made a mistake, no one is perfect. He paid for it...his wife is still with him and supporting him.

Anyone who has a problem with it has obviously never made a mistake in their life...

Well, Heatley and MacTavish still got on with their careers after that, so...

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
Kings brass and writers seem to all be saying the right things and it seems scripted. I am anxious to see what transpires.

Also, all these trash talkers on social media should spend more time advocating for donating/volunteering to a domestic violence charity instead of virtue signaling on the interweb.

If anyone feels inclined to get involved anti-domestic violence advocacy, check out some of these links and donate. Top Domestic Violence Nonprofits and Charities

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings brass and writers seem to all be saying the right things and it seems scripted. I am anxious to see what transpires.

Also, all these trash talkers on social media should spend more time advocating for donating/volunteering to a domestic violence charity instead of virtue signaling on the interweb.

If anyone feels inclined to get involved anti-domestic violence advocacy, check out some of these links and donate. Top Domestic Violence Nonprofits and Charities

Yep. Blake's got his head on straight. Daly too. And the LA writers in particular have been good about not editorializing TOO much, been very traditional in their reporting which I appreciate since the whole thing hasn't played out yet.

Contrast that with the outrage at the Kings and Voynov because the JUSTICE SYSTEM threw it out this morning and it's characteristic of the new-era "everyone is a reporter on social media" tripe that obfuscates reality.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
It just sucks. From what I’ve been reading it looks like Voynov won’t be back with the Kings. He’s just much more valuable playing for us then what we’d get in a trade for his rights.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
There have been many players in the past who have been garbage human beings who moved on with their careers. Look up Bobby Hull’s past, Billy Tibbetts, read up on how Akim Aliu was bullied for not taking part in hazing, John Vanbiesbrouck calling Trevor Daley the n-word, Dino Ciccarelli has a shady past, Patrick Roy and his violent past, guys who sexually abused underage kids who are still employed in hockey: read the David Gove story, or former agent David Frost and his relationship with Mike Jefferson/Danton and Sheldon Keefe.

Sheldon Kennedy and Theo Fleury have also been victims. These are examples of people who had their lives ruined and others who ruined people’s lives, and this industry has turned a blind eye or ignored the past of some of these abusers.

To shun Voynov and not give him a second chance would be hypocritical. That doesn’t absolve him from being a piece of shit, but he still should get a second chance. The guy still needs to support his family, they’re dependent on him, and they’ve worked things out together.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm curious to also see how the Austin Watson thing plays out too. NHL has a chance to make a stand one way or another but I'd better f***ing see consistency.

They can depart from the past if they want but this is happening in the present too.

Reactions: King Trouty

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I know that the NHL has to protect their brand, but where do they draw the line if they start judging on players moral compass? Is assault acceptable, theft, bestiality, fraud?? What determines the nhl suspension time if the crime has already been through the courts? I abhor what Voynov has done but feel that league judgement is a slippery slope.
Does Hakim the goat f***er get a second chance?

chesed

Apr 5, 2011
SoCal
As good as he is and how much better he makes the team, I don't think it's worth all the bad PR it will inevitably bring, especially in today's climate.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I'm curious to also see how the Austin Watson thing plays out too. NHL has a chance to make a stand one way or another but I'd better ****ing see consistency.

They can depart from the past if they want but this is happening in the present too.

I'm glad you brought this up . He's facing the same situation as Voynov, sans the immigration issues.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Are we seriously comparing Voynov situation to Watson situation? Cmon....its like the cases are identica....oh.... wait...they aren't? Details matter people...cmon.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Are we seriously comparing Voynov situation to Watson situation? Cmon....its like the cases are identica....oh.... wait...they aren't? Details matter people...cmon.

No one said they're identical. Both cases involve assaulting women and that the league has to deal with the cases the same way. If you suspend one guy for abuse, the same penalty should apply to the other.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Watson is American. And there is outrage against him.

Please lets not make Voynov the victim here, come on.

You're both being obtuse. The details are and will be important, but the NHL's handling of it--especially in light of Voynov--is very important. That's got very little to do with some 'victimization' of Voynov and everything to do with the NHL's (lack of) policy on domestic abuse and discipline.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
No one said they're identical. Both cases involve assaulting women and that the league has to deal with the cases the same way. If you suspend one guy for abuse, the same penalty should apply to the other.

Just because the two things are classified as "domestic assault" doesn't mean they are the same. Factual differences and levels of severity should matter in the length of suspension. It's the same reason that a mostly benign, incidental shoulder to the head should warrant a lesser suspension than a clear targeting of someone's head.

Now, whether Voynov's indefinite suspension during the 2014-15 season--followed by what effectively was his banishment from the league for two years--should qualify as his penalty for his situation is a different question.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
You're both being obtuse. The details are and will be important, but the NHL's handling of it--especially in light of Voynov--is very important. That's got very little to do with some 'victimization' of Voynov and everything to do with the NHL's (lack of) policy on domestic abuse and discipline.

Ok, I was replying to the guy above me who made an incorrect statement that Watson was being given a slap on the wrist by the media and fans because he was Canadian (even though he is American) and that Voynov is being given unfair treatment because he is Russian.

And let's also consider some things here. Watson is a fourth line player playing in Nashville, TN , Voynov was the second best defenseman on a team that had won the Stanley Cup the previous year and plays in Los Angeles. It's also fair to consider that Voynov already pleaded no contest and apparently this was not the first time he had abused his wife (according to her). The league was also put in a tricky situation in that Voynov's happened during the season and Watson's happened in the offseason.

Look, I don't really care what happens with Voynov, if he comes back I'll cheer for him because he's a King, if he leaves then whatever, he's probably not a very good dude and he's been gone so long anyways. My whole point in replying was to call out his comment that there was some kind of bias against Voynov because of his nationality and that he has somehow become a victim in all of this, neither of which are true. Playing in the NHL is a privilege not a right.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Have the Kings commented anything else other than this, especially after today's court ruling?

"The Kings said in a statement to The AP: "Any decision to reinstate Slava Voynov into the league is in the hands of the NHL. It is premature to comment prior to the NHL's ruling."

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Just because the two things are classified as "domestic assault" doesn't mean they are the same. Factual differences and levels of severity should matter in the length of suspension. It's the same reason that a mostly benign, incidental shoulder to the head should warrant a lesser suspension than a clear targeting of someone's head.

Now, whether Voynov's indefinite suspension during the 2014-15 season--followed by what effectively was his banishment from the league for two years--should qualify as his penalty for his situation is a different question.

Yeah, this is the interesting part. Will they league use this suspension at all in how they move forward, or will start from scratch? Daley said they didn't even start any formal investigation in 2015 and are basically at square one starting now.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
It will be interesting if Voynov returns to the league (with us or without us) what his public statements will be like. It would be nice if he showed some public remorse and did something very public and generous towards related charities, etc. in an effort to try and rebuild his public image but I just can't see that happening. I'm expecting more of a "no comment, that's the past, it's not as clear as what has been reported, etc. " type approach which I think could be unsatisfying to many people.

Trying to think of which approach from Slava would be more attractive to prospective employers.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
i just hope if traded we actually get something of value in return (i'm expecting like 4th round pick).
he really gave us a kick in the balls pulling his stupid actions

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
What's interesting is that although the expunged record will likely help him with the Kings and the NHL, it has no bearing on U.S. immigration. The criminal record will always stand. Voynov has to apply for a waiver due to his criminal record (likely did a long time ago since expungement is moot with U.S. immigration) to get his work visa. I have no idea what bearing it has with Canadian officials.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think the next step Voynov needs to pass is getting approved by the US and Canada to work legally. After that it’s up to the league and my guess is that Voynov and his wife will put on a public display to ease the PR concerns.

Personally, I’m willing to root for him as a Kings player based on his performance. I can understand why others wish him to not be on the team, but I don’t think it is right to deny a person their profession if they aren’t a felon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad