LA Clippers to announce plans for new arena in Inglewood

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Clippers are worth more as second LA team vs one in Seattle market.

Indeed. That's what i tried to mention the team is valued more in LA than it is in Seattle. Plus it'll cause the rest of the leagues team values to drop as well. I don't see NBA ever allowing it at all. Some excuses say but NBA moved a team out of the 14th market to the 43rd in the tv market. Yet the value of the OKC is higher than when Bennett bought the team plus NBA had a legitimate reason to move the Sonics.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
There are some small minority of Seattle fans that want Balmer to fail at building the new arena for the clippers so he'll have no choice but to move them to Seattle. No idea why people here think that's going to happen. Even getting them to stop with that ridiculous idea that Balmer will move them out of market is hard.
Seattle has a right to be bitter. They got screwed over. They are great fans. They want a team back like LA wanted an NFL team back for a generation. I did the same thing every time any other team had a dispute with their city

I am not saying the clipper should or shouldn't move there just saying that I know how Seattle people feel

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Seattle has a right to be bitter. They got screwed over. They are great fans. They want a team back like LA wanted an NFL team back for a generation. I did the same thing every time any other team had a dispute with their city

I am not saying the clipper should or shouldn't move there just saying that I know how Seattle people feel

Trust me i wasn't pleased with how it happened. I understand why the team moved and from a business perspective it made sense. But the idea that we should be hoping some other team would fail at getting a building so we can just take them isn't a direction anyone should be taking. Like i said its a small minority group that believe Balmer will move the team and get sodo arena built which isn't going to happen. Majority of us fans up here are for expansion not relocation.

Interesting enough Balmer still gets asked about if he's gonna the move the team to Seattle.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Trust me i wasn't pleased with how it happened. I understand why the team moved and from a business perspective it made sense. But the idea that we should be hoping some other team would fail at getting a building so we can just take them isn't a direction anyone should be taking. Like i said its a small minority group that believe Balmer will move the team and get sodo arena built which isn't going to happen. Majority of us fans up here are for expansion not relocation.

Interesting enough Balmer still gets asked about if he's gonna the move the team to Seattle.

I totally agree.

The problem is teams "talk" to your city and make it public and use that as leverage. It is natural and totally acceptable to get excited that you might be getting a team.

In your case I wanted expansion or The Rams back. I got lucky, I hope you guys do too.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I totally agree.

The problem is teams "talk" to your city and make it public and use that as leverage. It is natural and totally acceptable to get excited that you might be getting a team.

In your case I wanted expansion or The Rams back. I got lucky, I hope you guys do too.

The Oilers owner' attempted that once with Seattle and well he backpedaled quickly.

Well we got the biggest issue dealt with which is the arena and now we just wait for the NBA to act. Seriously it would be good to see the clippers in their own building out side the Laker's shadow. Of course folks up here that are anti seattle center pro sodo group (small vocal group) think just cause Balmer is building 100% private funded arena for the clippers that its a good idea to have a 2nd building up here in Seattle which won't work. What Balmer is doing is an exemption not the norm.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I don't understand what you meant here.

The Ponda was designed for hockey and has hosted a ton of basketball games, NBA and otherwise obstruction free.
Barclays was designed for basketball and has major obstruction problems

Actually, I shouldn't even have made a bet out of it. I missed this comment in the article.

The owner sought inspiration from the volume of Oakland’s Oracle Arena and Salt Lake City’s Vivint Smart Home Arena.

This is going to be a basketball arena, no hockey accommodation. SLC's arena is at least as bad as Barclay's for hockey. Oracle was reconfigured to take hockey out of the equation.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Well, if you followed expansion history in the early 90’s, there was a Seattle bid during the TB/Ott round. NBA owner at the time and another party each had a bid so they combined their bids together. City offered to blow up the Key to build brand new if they got an nhl team.
Late in the process the nba owner backed out, last minute and left their partner hanging. Thus the key was just remodeled for basketball only.

Can blame the sonic leaving back to that. As a rebuilt Key in the mid 90’s would be on par with their neighbours north/south in Rogers arena and Moda Center.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well, if you followed expansion history in the early 90’s, there was a Seattle bid during the TB/Ott round. NBA owner at the time and another party each had a bid so they combined their bids together. City offered to blow up the Key to build brand new if they got an nhl team.
Late in the process the nba owner backed out, last minute and left their partner hanging. Thus the key was just remodeled for basketball only.

Can blame the sonic leaving back to that. As a rebuilt Key in the mid 90’s would be on par with their neighbours north/south in Rogers arena and Moda Center.

Yep. NBA create that mess in Seattle. Can't blame it solely on the goverment here but in the end we are getting what we should have gotten in the 90's a modern state of an art building for both leagues. Us hockey fans are still bitty about that which is well ignored by the small group of vocal fans. i had to remind them about it was the late owner that screw things up for both the NHL and the NBA here in Seattle.

Hopefully Balmer gets his arena finalized and gets through all that red tape soon.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Balmer goes after Dolan

Steve Ballmer sends message to James Dolan over new Clippers arena: ‘You can’t knock us down!’

Steve Ballmer sent a public warning to James Dolan as the two continue their billionaire Battle Royale over land in California.

"You want to hit us in the nose? OK! We'll keep moving,” Ballmer told reporters Thursday. “You can't knock us down! I'm not sure they understand what they've gotten themselves into, from my perspective in the sense that we'll just keep going.”

Ballmer is determined to build his new Clippers arena in Inglewood despite the opposition from Dolan, who wants to avoid the venue competition with his Forum just a mile away from the proposed construction site. Dolan has levied lawsuits and bankrolled a failed mayoral candidacy in Inglewood to block the project, despite the new Clippers arena being supported by NBA commissioner Adam Silver.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
It would seem a lot easier if Ballmer just paid back Dolan his investment in to the Forum, which was reported to be around $50M.

Considering the project is slated to be around billion, whats another 60 million or so?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Now this is popcorn worthy two NBA owners going at each other.

It's always fun when there's a wedge within the club. Publicly Silver will be diplomatic but I think him and a majority of the other owners will back Balmer on this.

A new arena will take precedence (and raise franchise values better) than someone's concert only venue.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Of course Balmer would throw money to settle that issue. But glad to see one roadblock is eliminated.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I am still surprised by this. I get the whole not sharing an arena with the legendary franchise part, but the smarter and much cheaper route would still be to move to OC and share the Ponda with the Ducks.
OC get's an NBA team your fanbase grows.
Win , win , win . Right?

_XcM1l.gif

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I am still surprised by this. I get the whole not sharing an arena with the legendary franchise part, but the smarter and much cheaper route would still be to move to OC and share the Ponda with the Ducks.
OC get's an NBA team your fanbase grows.
Win , win , win . Right?

_XcM1l.gif
The financial details aren't in the article, but I assume this new arena will be owned/operated by the Clippers. They get to keep more money this way, like concessions, parking, a cut of concerts and other events, maybe some land rights to developments around the arena, or maybe they own some restaurants or other businesses nearby that will benefit from the arena. If they move to the Ducks arena they are still a tenant, paying rent to someone else, without the additional revenue streams that their own arena would provide. I didn't look up the population numbers, but I assume if they have 25% of the LA basketball fans vs 100% of the Anaheim fans, they are still better off in LA. Sometimes the small fish in the big pond is better off than the big fish in the small pond.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The financial details aren't in the article, but I assume this new arena will be owned/operated by the Clippers. They get to keep more money this way, like concessions, parking, a cut of concerts and other events, maybe some land rights to developments around the arena, or maybe they own some restaurants or other businesses nearby that will benefit from the arena. If they move to the Ducks arena they are still a tenant, paying rent to someone else, without the additional revenue streams that their own arena would provide. I didn't look up the population numbers, but I assume if they have 25% of the LA basketball fans vs 100% of the Anaheim fans, they are still better off in LA. Sometimes the small fish in the big pond is better off than the big fish in the small pond.
I would be incredibly shocked if the clippers had anywhere close to 25% of the LA fans.
I would think the number is much closer to 5%. Most Clippers fans are contrarians or people that just outright hate the Lakers. They moved to LA around 1984 and historically been a laughing stock.
I do realize they have been much better under Balmer but I rarely if ever see someone wearing Clippers gear or Clippers anything on a car.

The population numbers are 10M for LA county and a little over 3m for OC. OC could also attracted some San Diego fans as well.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I would be incredibly shocked if the clippers had anywhere close to 25% of the LA fans.
I would think the number is much closer to 5%. Most Clippers fans are contrarians or people that just outright hate the Lakers. They moved to LA around 1984 and historically been a laughing stock.
I do realize they have been much better under Balmer but I rarely if ever see someone wearing Clippers gear or Clippers anything on a car.

The population numbers are 10M for LA county and a little over 3m for OC. OC could also attracted some San Diego fans as well.
Just for fun I looked at attendance numbers. The Lakers beat the clippers by about 1000 fans a game for 2018 and 2019. The Clippers beat the Lakers by a bit for the four years prior to that. (I didn't look at 2020 obviously). Doesn't seem like the tickets sold number is big economic issue for the Clippers. Merchandise sales might go up with a move, but even a 100% increase is going to be small potatoes compared to the extra income from being the sole tenant of your own building where you control all the cash flow, and probably some other development. Plus I would think the Clippers probably get an attendance boost in LA for while just by having a new building. Having more fans isn't really a benefit if you don't have a way to make money off of them.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The Clippers would barely be any more popular if they moved to Anaheim, if at all. The area is almost all Lakers fans who wouldn't change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad