LA Clippers to announce plans for new arena in Inglewood

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I ask LA natives, is Inglewood a good location, in terms of accessibility? I am concerned about lack of public transit, but its LA, its California and everyone drives.

Or could it end up being Glendale for NBA?
At least it would be Ballmer paying for it not the city.

Not sure if they can take concerts away from staples or the forum. So likely not the money maker that staples is.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
With Rams stadium and Clippers arena, the area will become very gentrified and will not be a dump.

Of course there is the moral question of what happens to people who then can no longer afford to live there.

It'll be a gentrified dump.

Proximity to LAX is great in theory...but are millionaires really going to be flocking to live under one of the busiest airport approaches in the world when there's a billion other far nicer, quiet, and prettier neighborhoods vying for their attention? Especially when most of which don't requiring spending an hour on the freeways to get anywhere else and there's a bunch of smaller airports that are typically used by the wealthier population as it is.

There's a reason most sports arenas aren't near airports. I'm a few miles northeast of downtown and can be at Staples Center in 30 minutes (public transportation or driving). Inglewood, on the other hand, is nearly 2 hours away via public transportation right now (mostly buses). Of course the expectation is that most Angelenos drive...but that's still an hour that'll easily inflate to beyond 90 minutes at rush hour. It's easier to get to Anaheim than Inglewood from here, to say nothing of that providing a decent geographical/cultural shift to actually give the Clippers a purpose to exist. Inglewood is close enough to downtown to make it feel watered down, but far enough that it's a giant hassle for most of the city to get to.

The Metro will be expanding out near that way next year I believe, but that comes with the giant asterisk of the station being a 2 mile walk from the arena site...in other words you're going to still need to take a bus or cab/uber/lyft to finish the journey.

I foresee a lot of people being pushed out of their houses due to property costs quickly spiraling out of control and a lot of condos going up that'll be half-full making the rent crisis even worse. Lower income housing being replaced with luxury anything is the exact opposite of what this area needs, especially when a ton of money is going to have to be spent to make Inglewood and the word luxury to co-exist near each other.

I ask LA natives, is Inglewood a good location, in terms of accessibility? I am concerned about lack of public transit, but its LA, its California and everyone drives.

Or could it end up being Glendale for NBA?

LA's Glendale would have been a nearly ideal location, incidentally, and that's before bringing up the fact that Inglewood already has a full arena-sized concert venue with The Forum only being renovated a couple years back.

That last fact tells you all that needs to be known. This is a pissing race between billionaires wanting to assert dominance and nothing more. Ballmer doesn't give a shit about anything other than sticking it to AEG.

Last edited:

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Proximity to LAX is great in theory...but are millionaires really going to be flocking to live under one of the busiest airport approaches in the world when there's a billion other far nicer, quiet, and prettier neighborhoods vying for their attention? Especially when most of which don't requiring spending an hour on the freeways to get anywhere else and there's a bunch of smaller airports that are typically used by the wealthier population as it is.

There's a reason most sports arenas aren't near airports. I'm a few miles northeast of downtown and can be at Staples Center in 30 minutes (public transportation or driving). Inglewood, on the other hand, is nearly 2 hours away via public transportation right now (mostly buses). Of course the expectation is that most Angelenos drive...but that's still an hour that'll easily inflate to beyond 90 minutes at rush hour. It's easier to get to Anaheim than Inglewood from here, to say nothing of that providing a decent geographical/cultural shift to actually give the Clippers a purpose to exist. Inglewood is close enough to downtown to make it feel watered down, but far enough that it's a giant hassle for most of the city to get to.

The Metro will be expanding out near that way next year I believe, but that comes with the giant asterisk of the station being a 2 mile walk from the arena site...in other words you're going to still need to take a bus or cab/uber/lyft to finish the journey.

I foresee a lot of people being pushed out of their houses due to property costs quickly spiraling out of control and a lot of condos going up that'll be half-full making the rent crisis even worse. Lower income housing being replaced with luxury anything is the exact opposite of what this area needs, especially when a ton of money is going to have to be spent to make Inglewood and the word luxury to co-exist near each other.

LA's Glendale would have been a nearly ideal location, incidentally, and that's before bringing up the fact that Inglewood already has a full arena-sized concert venue with The Forum only being renovated a couple years back.

That last fact tells you all that needs to be known. This is a pissing race between billionaires wanting to assert dominance and nothing more. Ballmer doesn't give a **** about anything other than sticking it to AEG.
You mean MSG.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
You mean MSG.
No, I think he means AEG as the owners to Staples Center, where the Clippers have always been afterthought tenants since it opened. That MSG owns and operates the Forum, which is a stone's throw away from the new arena site, is secondary.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
No, I think he means AEG as the owners to Staples Center, where the Clippers have always been afterthought tenants since it opened. That MSG owns and operates the Forum, which is a stone's throw away from the new arena site, is secondary.
Its their fault Clippers been so badly run all these years?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Let's also remember that the Clippers chose to move in to a building with another basketball team. The clippers played in a different facility than the Lakers before Staples

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

That last fact tells you all that needs to be known. This is a pissing race between billionaires wanting to assert dominance and nothing more. Ballmer doesn't give a **** about anything other than sticking it to AEG.

(1) I'm not quite up on Metrolink station locations, and I suspect Glendale has one. I'm just a little iffy on whether Glendale has room.

(2) If you're going to compare the no-suites Forum to modern arenas, have fun in that rabbit hole.

(3) As much as I talk about being able to afford rent in a major market, Ballmer sees this maximizing profits. That I guarantee. I don't think "sticking it to AEG" is in his top 5 reasons for building the thing. However, sports has most definitely become a pissing race between billionaires, and doing things like being able to attract Kawhi Leonard might be a reason Ballmer wants to race.

Since other posters are chiming in about Clippers history and "should have been in Anaheim," if I may chime in? How much do you want to bet that this arena will more resemble Barclays than Staples?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Since other posters are chiming in about Clippers history and "should have been in Anaheim," if I may chime in? How much do you want to bet that this arena will more resemble Barclays than Staples?
I don't understand what you meant here.

The Ponda was designed for hockey and has hosted a ton of basketball games, NBA and otherwise obstruction free.
Barclays was designed for basketball and has major obstruction problems

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Ballmer open to changing the Clippers name

https://www.tsn.ca/los-angeles-clip...be-open-to-changing-the-team-s-name-1.1343651

If he is going to, when they move into the new arena will be the time.

Still they've had that same since they arrived about 35 years ago plus their time in San Diego. Is a new name really needed after all this time?
I'd say no, but the clippers are a pretty dumb name . I didn't know what it really meant growing up as a kid. I thought that they were really in to clipping coupons

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd say no, but the clippers are a pretty dumb name . I didn't know what it really meant growing up as a kid. I thought that they were really in to clipping coupons
Not as if their logo every symbolized what a clipper was. Always just been the word clippers in front of a basketball.

It’s no bucks or bulls logo.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For a team playing in a city by the sea, it’s a good name.
But when you look at their logo(S) over the years it doesn’t show you that it’s sea related. BCHL team is called the Nanaimo Clippers and their logo I can make out a sailboat of some kind.

Too many NBA logos involve a basketball and the written word of the team name like lakers, 76ers, knicks, pistons, etc.

A good logo you should look at it and pretty much know the team name and not have to read it.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
For a team playing in a city by the sea, it’s a good name.

In some places, absolutely. Not in LA, though. LA isn't really a city by the sea. I mean it is, but that's ~20 miles and an hour and a half in traffic away from the city and it's utterly dominated by giant shipping vessels going in and out of the 2 busiest ports in North America. There's a million great beaches around LA, but you're gonna have to drive north or south to find them. There are a lot of ways to describe a city that's an endless sprawl the size of a several nations, yet somehow seemingly all of the teams that move here never quite get it right. One day a team will move to LA with a name that makes sense in this market...and that will be the one to get a name change. I'm probably biased because of my hatred of traffic, but the ocean may as well be in another state as long as I have to cross the 405 to get to it.

Honestly the first thing I would have done as Ballmer when buying the team would have been to put a torch to the team's identity. Something bolder, something flashier, something that fits the market, something that doesn't remind me of my dad's aftershave, something that doesn't have eons of failure coupled with the legacy of a vile, unlikeable previous owner. The logo change wasn't enough. The legacy of the Clippers is best left in the history books and a few fun throwbacks a year. Forge a new identity that has a chance to be the counter-culture opposite of the mainstream Lakers. Sell yourself better to Los Angeles. Offer up a legitimate reason to exist in this market other than shouting 'I like money!'

Last edited:

BJNT

Jan 12, 2015
The Clippers should have moved to Anaheim years ago

Im surprised that they haven’t reached out to the Ducks and partner up on building a new arena in Anaheim that they both would share like the Bulls/Blackhawks, Celtics/Bruins, Knicks/Rangers, Wizards/Capitals, Raptors/Maple Leafs and soon you be Lakers/Kings do.

BJNT

Jan 12, 2015
Let's also remember that the Clippers chose to move in to a building with another basketball team. The clippers played in a different facility than the Lakers before Staples

All due to cheaper than dirt Donald Sterling.

Reactions: oknazevad

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

They don't need to change the name. Just have their own arena and you aren't second fiddle to the Lakers.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There are some small minority of Seattle fans that want Balmer to fail at building the new arena for the clippers so he'll have no choice but to move them to Seattle. No idea why people here think that's going to happen. Even getting them to stop with that ridiculous idea that Balmer will move them out of market is hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad