Post-Game Talk (GBU): LA calls it the 'Buffalo model'

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Outshot yes, but weak sh-t don't count.

It's very difficult to win when being outshot 34-16. I don't agree with all the "shot quality" arguments, but it's going to be a long season if we have that debate after every one of these games that we win when being badly outplayed, so I'll refrain.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
The Wu Blue, this is the Triumph!

Zem hits atomically, and Nolan's philosophy
Of compete and hard work will define how we dropping these
victories, Murray's trades are like armed robbery
Gonna win the lottery, or pick in the top 3
Battle scarred vets and explosions when Zads hits
Tremendous, Myers's shine gonna blind his critics
Grigs, Reinhart, the future of the new millennium
Compher, Pysyk, and Ristolainen
Exciting the fans with drastic puck tactics
Teddy P with the funds man life is fantastic
No need to rush gonna ease the young guns in
Slowly build a winner, that is the function
When we learn to score this team's going to war
Cups piling up on the floor, but diehard fans demand more
Locker room full of soldiers, control the league slowly
Silence the haters, yo Milbury blow me!

Best hockey rap ever

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
It's very difficult to win when being outshot 34-16. I don't agree with all the "shot quality" arguments, but it's going to be a long season if we have that debate after every one of these games that we win when being badly outplayed, so I'll refrain.

I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise...?

Outshot, yes, but no abundance of dangerous shots, repeat attempts, etc.
No more dangerous shots / scoring chances than usual. 34 SOG is normal.

70 shots directed at net (some purposely put off the end boards / dasher).

24 shot blocks by the Sabres - should be applauded.

Enroth did not stand on his head - he didn't need to - he simply needed to play solid, and focused, and had a handful of shutout-preserving saves because rebounds were minimal, good team D, etc.

Outplayed, yes. IMO Sabres having ~1/3 o-zone time to the Kings ~2/3 (eye test). I would not expect otherwise with the Sabres sub-par quality and depth at forwards.

I don't see anyone arguing that if that game was played 10 times, Buffalo wouldn't lose 8 or 9 of them, nor that Buffalo didn't have some luck in winning. But the team D helped create a LOT of that luck.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Well I'm not having a debate about it anyway, because I don't exactly disagree. The recent routine is the team giving up continued pressure due to being a poor possession team, but keeping the quality chances to a normal level and keeping second chances to a minimum. That equates to a bend-but-don't-break game that will never see them outplay anyone (except the Leafs), but still stay in games and be able to win more than they "should".

Outplayed...yeah almost every game.

Lose...not as much as the shot count would hint at.

It's not a coincidence that two average goalies have stats that look top-notch right now. The play of Risto/Zads and the settling of the FW lines (more Flynn and Mitchell) has provided some consistent defensive effort, and the goalies are benefiting. None of that means the team is "better" or that they aren't getting outplayed. It just means they know how to keep games close.

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
I thought Gionta had some good wheels and elusiveness last night. Any sluggishness or lazy from early in the season definitely wasn't there.

The team D was solid. Collapsing in their own zone. Not chasing (that Sabres centipede avatar wasn't that long ago). Short, close, passes once posession re-gained, no forwards leaving the D-zone early. So much of those aspects were 180-degrees different last night than from 12+ months ago.
LA kept bringing it, but it was rather weak - limited repeat chances. I heard the announcers say LA was on the 1st of a 5-game roadie; my visual assessment would have guessed it was the last game, or the 2nd of a back-to-back.

Re: 55 & 51. I was truly impressed by their poise, especially Risto, when handling the puck below their goal line with Kings converging on them. Separately, a couple times I felt Risto backed into the slot too quickly and too much (versus forcing his man wide) when there were some King rushes down the left wing. And then I reminded myself HE JUST TURNED 20 YEARS OLD and HAS PLAYED LESS THAN A FULL NHL SEASON!! Both of them - wow. Weak elbowing call on Zadarov - e.g., Chara wouldn't have been whistled.

Agreed, but Sabres won't be able to score, either.

Kaleta looked no different than what I've been accustomed to in the past - good to see. D-Lo was solid. McCormick wasn't hitting, yet his positioning and puck support in the high slot of the D-zone was noticeable to me.

100% this - I noticed it too.

Terry

IMO, one reason the goaltending tandem has worked is I assume neither feels threatened by the other. The roles / responsibilities (true tandem / split) were clearly defined in the offseason. Both are pending UFAs - same situation. Both know they'll be in the NHL next year, it's just a question of what role - starter, backup, tandem - and with whom.

Indeed. Despite the huge differential in shot attempts, the Kings did not look dangerous.

Good game. Fun to watch.

As to the bolded. The Kings really only showed up after Ennis scored. They were suddenly buzzing and their possession was excellent. It was nice to hold them off.

Good to get some wins against good competition, even if outshot and outplayed. This team has to be opportunistic, limit mistakes and play team defense.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Don't forget about Schaller and Compher, two already advanced guys defensively....and Fasching and Possler aren't slouches either. Armia's 2 way game is coming around, as is Grigorenko's.

I'm sitting here trying to think of who our most offensively-minded, defensively deficient prospect is right now....and I'm drawing a huge blank. Obviously in the NHL, it's Hodgson.

But I don't think we've got anyone that's nearly as incompetent defensively in the system. Most of our top 10 prospect forwards are at worst mediocre in their own zone.

Oloffson. Coming around and very young but yea, not good defensively. This thread turned pretty ducking awesome though.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
How about Ennis' hit with 30 seconds left in the game?

I can think of no better core to build around than Big Z and Risto on D.

These are the sorts of minute eating horses you might win a cup with.

These guys are good skaters, have smart hockey IQs, and they are giants. Plus Big Z likes to try to cut people in half. Just for fun.

I love that.

Darcy's core of losers is quickly vanishing into the distant past, and me likey likey.

:handclap:

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
How about Ennis' hit with 30 seconds left in the game?

I can think of no better core to build around than Big Z and Risto on D.

These are the sorts of minute eating horses you might win a cup with.

These guys are good skaters, have smart hockey IQs, and they are giants. Plus Big Z likes to try to cut people in half. Just for fun.

I love that.

Darcy's core of losers is quickly vanishing into the distant past, and me likey likey.

:handclap:

I assume you mean his previous core. The guys you like and the picks we are using are all courtesy of Darcy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad