OT: LA Angels of Anaheim Baseball Discussion (continued again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
They need a #2 starter to be a true contender. There's too much pressure on Richards to 1) stay healthy and 2) be a lot better than he actually is.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
They need a #2 starter to be a true contender. There's too much pressure on Richards to 1) stay healthy and 2) be a lot better than he actually is.

Well with JC going down, and the Angels wanting to run a 6 man rotation, they need at least that. I don't buy that there is all this pressure on Richards. He is what he is, in hockey terms, a guy with incredible tools and no toolbox.

Oct 18, 2011
I get the Pujols hate, but he still had 100+ RBIs last year and is the most consistent RBI producer outside of Trout on the team. He will not hit 8th for the likes of Cozart, Simmons, etc. and most MLB teams are hitting their most prolific hitter 2nd so Trout will likely stay there.

Richards has always had ace stuff, but the problem is, outside of staying healthy, he can’t consistently locate his pitches and subsequently can’t go deep in to games. His pure stuff is arguably top 10 in the league, but if he can’t locate he’s no more than a #3.
Pujols getting 100 RBI was a complete byproduct of where he hit in the lineup because other people were always on base

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Well with JC going down, and the Angels wanting to run a 6 man rotation, they need at least that. I don't buy that there is all this pressure on Richards. He is what he is, in hockey terms, a guy with incredible tools and no toolbox.
Not saying that the pressure is what is messing him up. I'm saying that too much of our season is hinging on Richards to be great and healthy.

Poor phrasing on my part

Oct 18, 2011
So far Eppler has been able to rebuild a completely barren talent roster in what, like 2 years? I think he will figure out a way to get a starting pitcher he has done an incredible job, while I feel like DiPoto got a raw deal, Eppler has come in and done a better job imo...

A year ago people were saying the Angels had to trade Mike Trout, and now we are seeing why you do NOT do that, you find a GM who can bring in and identify talent to surround him with

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
So far Eppler has been able to rebuild a completely barren talent roster in what, like 2 years? I think he will figure out a way to get a starting pitcher he has done an incredible job, while I feel like DiPoto got a raw deal, Eppler has come in and done a better job imo...

A year ago people were saying the Angels had to trade Mike Trout, and now we are seeing why you do NOT do that, you find a GM who can bring in and identify talent to surround him with

Dipoto didn't get a raw deal though. He made a ton of terrible moves, drafted poorly, then jumped ship at the first sign of controversy. He was just as bad as Reagins was IMO, the only difference is that he fooled people by being good at giving interviews.
-Signed Baldoquin instead of Moncada or Vladdy Jr.
-Traded Segura for a half season of Greinke
-Signed Hamilton instead of giving that money to Greinke
-Blanton, Hanson, Manson, etc
-Even CJ Wilson was a meh signing

I don't blame him for Pujols, but The list goes on and on past that, I just can't remember right now

Eppler actually understands how to evaluate talent, which is the most important part of being a GM. We kind of lucked into the Ohtani thing, but Eppler got Simmons, he's restocked the farm, and he added to the offense this past offseason

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Dipoto didn't get a raw deal though. He made a ton of terrible moves, drafted poorly, then jumped ship at the first sign of controversy. He was just as bad as Reagins was IMO, the only difference is that he fooled people by being good at giving interviews.
-Signed Baldoquin instead of Moncada or Vladdy Jr.
-Traded Segura for a half season of Greinke
-Signed Hamilton instead of giving that money to Greinke
-Blanton, Hanson, Manson, etc
-Even CJ Wilson was a meh signing

I don't blame him for Pujols, but The list goes on and on past that, I just can't remember right now

Eppler actually understands how to evaluate talent, which is the most important part of being a GM. We kind of lucked into the Ohtani thing, but Eppler got Simmons, he's restocked the farm, and he added to the offense this past offseason

DiPoto came to the org where the FO was run differently. Owner Arte Moreno meddled into baseball operations. Moreno wanted Pujols AND Hambone. What people don't realize is that by signing Pujols and Hambone in different seasons took away the Angels' first round pick in the ensuing draft from those signings. DiPoto wanted to build the pitching. Trading for Greinke was the correct move, but the fact the Owner wanted Hambone overruled retaining Greinke, who would not have cost the org a first round pick.

DiPoto leaving mid-season caused the whole FO to reflect and change. I never would have thought that Sosh would ever bend to a GM, but he has with Eppler's insistence of using the bullpen more to supplement a lack of true aces. Now, Sosh is accomodating to the six-man rotation so that Ohtani can get hits in games. Ohtani has hit three dingers in four games and 7 RBIs. In those limited events, Ohtani has been the Angels best HR and RBI producer.

Now, as for acquisitions by Eppler, he's been very good. Grabbing Simmons was a great grab! A lot of Eppler's moves included moving pitching prospects to acquire players. To get Simmons, the org had to trade away top pitching prospect Sean Newcombe. A lot of other pitching prospects were moved b/c that's what the org had in stock. To land Justin Upton last year, Eppler traded away Angels' #9 prospect RHP Long and RHP Elvin Rodriguez (both under DiPoto era). On the roster today that were from DiPoto are Skaggs, Heaney, Tropeano, and bullpen Middleton.

No GM is perfect, especially if the owner meddles in baseball affairs. DiPoto did some very good things here and some misses as well. Stocking up on pitching gave Eppler ammo to change the Angels into his vision. I'm liking what Eppler has done and where he's taking the Angels. Landing Ohtani sweepstakes was amazing (and mostly on Ohtani's preference). Then we land a new #1 prospect SS Maitan because the Braves were abusing the international bonuses. Lucky for us! We're in good hands with Eppler.

Anyhow, without DiPoto putting the org on blast, then Sosh would never become a "Yes man", owner Moreno would still be taking orders from manager Sosh instead of the General Manager, and we would never have landed Eppler. Those three things would never have happened if DiPoto didn't have the balls to stand up to an upside-down front office organization.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Boy this team can really hit. Nobody (other than maybe Simmons and Ohtani) is hitting way over their heads right now, and they still have scored the most runs in baseball. And that's with Trout hitting under .250, Calhoun barely hitting .200, and Kinsler still injured. Marte, Valbuena, and Maldonado are doing their part at the bottom of the order, too.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

DucksFanDFW

Sep 18, 2009
Ranger, TX
Don't get too excited about this series. You are playing the worst team in the MLB with the worst pitching as well. Hell even the hitting is in the bottom 5.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
With the game postponed, then that means the Angels just swept the Royals. On to Bean town. It's gonna be an early Clash of the Titans! And Ohtani is starting it off!

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Thankfully we have the Angels (for now) to take our minds off the Ducks for a little bit.

Very excited for Ohtani's first real test against Boston tonight.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Don't you mean Ohtani's big test against Boston? Or does his other big league starts mean nothing?
You're right, this is just the first time he's facing a hot team that has a lot of talent. The Oakland lineup has some serious power, but definitely prone to swings and misses. Boston is completely different.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I know this is an angels thread but they are currently playing the angels and god damn Gleyber Torres is a beautiful player.... 4 straight games with a homerun(5 during that span) and 6 in his last 6.

the fact that the yankees got him in the chapman trade is the greatest.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
DfYqNdLUwAA0zFV.jpg

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I'm f***ing SICK!!! Another year with a nice team, but a dubious rotation and AS USUAL the worst BLOWPEN in the entire League: 15 f***ing games lost because our bullpen and manager suck ass. I feel SO sorry for Trout and now Ohtani too, forced to waste their best years in a lousy team like this. Get rid of Scioscia once and for all, it will be a start if anything else...

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
I think CJ Wilson is officially petitioning to add Troutium27 to the periodic table of elements.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Boy this team can really hit. Nobody (other than maybe Simmons and Ohtani) is hitting way over their heads right now, and they still have scored the most runs in baseball. And that's with Trout hitting under .250, Calhoun barely hitting .200, and Kinsler still injured. Marte, Valbuena, and Maldonado are doing their part at the bottom of the order, too.
Well, they had me fooled pretty hard for around 20 games or so.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Just another sad season. Maybe next year there will be a new manager and we can see how that will go. Hmmm, that sounds just like the Ducks after this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad