Rumor: LA and their 2nd overall pick

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
The thing that makes me roll my eyes is just imagining how badly they f*** it up when all these great young Sens demand to be paid at the age of 21-22.

I'm telling you, man. I'm holding out hope Byfield will pull an "Eric Lindros."

sosallycanwait

Aug 20, 2020
Would never take Stützle over Byfield.
Big kids that dominate JRs because of their size scares me. Once they are playing against men these types sometimes struggle.
Stützle was playing against men all year and was one of the better players. I think Stützle might end up the best of the draft, that skill is hard to pass on. Plus he's put on 20lbs since March.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Well you should rest easy knowing that Byfield dominated in many ways, but "because of his size" is not one of them. He doesn't play to his size advantage in the fashion that your fear would become justified.

That's not true.
He doesn't smash guys very often, but he constantly uses his size/weight to protect the puck and bull his way to the goal.
So, yeah, I think there's a ***small*** amount of justification to the idea that Byfield's stats are inflated and that the stuff he does in junior won't translate against 6'2, 210 30-year-old defensemen in the NHL.

On the other hand, despite his weight, he also looks like a baby giraffe out there sometimes. His weight distribution clearly isn't ideal for hockey yet. He hits guys and Byfield falls, because of that weight distribution.

When Byfield hits his ideal weight, when that weight is in the right places, and when he learns how to use it effectively... even if he never develops that elite-level hockey sense... he's going to be a force in the NHL.

He still has the potential to be by far the best player in the draft. He could be a 6'5 Kopitar with better wheels.
But he might also top out as a physically dominating 60-point center.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's not true.
He doesn't smash guys very often, but he constantly uses his size/weight to protect the puck and bull his way to the goal.
So, yeah, I think there's a ***small*** amount of justification to the idea that Byfield's stats are inflated and that the stuff he does in junior won't translate against 6'2, 210 30-year-old defensemen in the NHL.

On the other hand, despite his weight, he also looks like a baby giraffe out there sometimes. His weight distribution clearly isn't ideal for hockey yet. He hits guys and Byfield falls, because of that weight distribution.

When Byfield hits his ideal weight, when that weight is in the right places, and when he learns how to use it effectively... even if he never develops that elite-level hockey sense... he's going to be a force in the NHL.

He still has the potential to be by far the best player in the draft. He could be a 6'5 Kopitar with better wheels.
But he might also top out as a physically dominating 60-point center.

I don't think he uses his size exceptionally well yet. He protects the puck well, but again he will have a size advantage in the NHL as well. He has more filling out to do weight wise for sure. But sometimes when guys talk about big guys, they sort of ignore on guys like Byfield, he is a big guy in the NHL not just junior. I don't have to wonder if his reach just helps there, it will help in the pros.

I think his floor is probably a better passing Jeff Carter.

I do agree his ceiling is intriguing as hell. Probably the most exciting tools in a little bit draft wise. I also find with Byfield and have heard from a few friends that scout that he feels he has always been punished for how big he is with officials and is more careful at lower levels than he is likely to be in the pros. We shall see, but I think that is probably accurate awareness, that if he was blowing guys up he would be sitting out a lot. Lafreniere got in trouble in this department at times and I think it will be easier up a level where it is more expected.

Reactions: MBH

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
anxious to hear the terminology in this vein utilized for lesser and better players than rossi :DD

The use of cattle is a joke about Devellano in case people don't remember and I am not saying you don't.

He got the Wings fined $250,000 for this in the last lockout:

The owners can basically be viewed as the Ranch, and the players, and me included, are the cattle. The owners own the Ranch and allow the players to eat there. That's the way its always been and that the way it will be forever. And the owners simply aren't going to let a union push them around. It's not going to happen."

NHL Players Are Cattle: Detroit Red Wings Fined as Jimmy Devellano Speaks the Truth

Of course Rossi would be the very rare mini-cattle:naughty:

cce1827ec653d14b1ce378b28b4b165c.jpg

I will say, I can be kind of like Jimmy D, I think I hopefully have a few less drunk uncle moments, but I can get hard headed and brutally harsh in my opinions. I am sure you have all noticed that.:laugh:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
The use of cattle is a joke about Devellano in case people don't remember and I am not saying you don't.

He got the Wings fined $250,000 for this in the last lockout:

NHL Players Are Cattle: Detroit Red Wings Fined as Jimmy Devellano Speaks the Truth

Of course Rossi would be the very rare mini-cattle:naughty:

cce1827ec653d14b1ce378b28b4b165c.jpg

I will say, I can be kind of like Jimmy D, I think I hopefully have a few less drunk uncle moments, but I can get hard headed and brutally harsh in my opinions. I am sure you have all noticed that.:laugh:
ide forgotten about the uncle jimmy statement lol

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I want Perfetti, but I have a feeling Yzerman takes Lundell. I don't hate that as an idea, but that would clear indication of our team future direction.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I want Perfetti, but I have a feeling Yzerman takes Lundell. I don't hate that as an idea, but that would clear indication of our team future direction.
I have no idea how good an NHL player Lundell will be, let alone predicting his career versus that of Perfetti. But thinking strictly about draft day, I'd be disappointed if Detroit took a guy at 4 that would probably still be there at 7 or 8, with another asset in a trade.

Maybe things change in the next several weeks. But I don't currently get the sense that the Wings would risk missing out on Lundell if they slid back a bit, should that be the player they ultimately target.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
At worst, I think Lundell is a safe pick. He's not a flashy guy, he's not going to wow anyone like datsyuk or Yzerman or Feds, but I think he'll go out there behind Larkin and just make teams miserable. For anyone who talks up Boston, they should like the idea of Lundell, because I think he fits that sort of mold to a T.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I have no idea how good an NHL player Lundell will be, let alone predicting his career versus that of Perfetti. But thinking strictly about draft day, I'd be disappointed if Detroit took a guy at 4 that would probably still be there at 7 or 8, with another asset in a trade.

Maybe things change in the next several weeks. But I don't currently get the sense that the Wings would risk missing out on Lundell if they slid back a bit, should that be the player they ultimately target.

As we learned last year with our pretty obvious attempt to trade back, it takes two to tango

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
As we learned last year with our pretty obvious attempt to trade back, it takes two to tango
True. I was just making the point that if one or more teams consider moving up, they're likely going after Perfetti / Rossi / Raymond / Drysdale, and not Lundell.

So if there are no takers, so be it. But with everybody's current body of work, I don't think there's a single NHL team that believes they'd HAVE to have a top 5 pick to land Lundell.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
True. I was just making the point that if one or more teams consider moving up, they're likely going after Perfetti / Rossi / Raymond / Drysdale, and not Lundell.

So if there are no takers, so be it. But with everybody's current body of work, I don't think there's a single NHL team that believes they'd HAVE to have a top 5 pick to land Lundell.

If he's your guy, you take him.

Reactions: mantha39

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
At worst, I think Lundell is a safe pick. He's not a flashy guy, he's not going to wow anyone like datsyuk or Yzerman or Feds, but I think he'll go out there behind Larkin and just make teams miserable. For anyone who talks up Boston, they should like the idea of Lundell, because I think he fits that sort of mold to a T.

Lundell is a high floor, low ceiling guy, does not have top 6 potential but could be a pretty good 3rd liner.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->