Injury Report: L. Schenn (abdominal surgery); Simmonds (left leg); MacDonald (right hand)

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Difference is we don't need to help them get bounced out of the playoffs, their fragile minded "leaders" have that covered. It's amazing that a franchise can waste the primes of the two best offensive players in the league while never really being a legit contender.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
:amazed:
The injury occurred on Nov. 1. Read has been more or less healthy since mid-January. He joked it doesn't fully explain how he "forgot" how to score goals. He's averaged 23 goals in each of his first two full NHL seasons - and he's scored just seven goals this year.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
So this season Matt Read has not only been crap, but he has been crap and stupid. Cool.

I don't get this thinking. If the doctors tell a player he can not hurt the injury anymore but just will have to play through pain, why is it stupid for him to play? It's really not. The ligaments will get repaired in the off season most likely and he should be able to skate in 6 weeks. If you want to say we could replace him in the lineup with another player, who? Straka, Cousins, Laughton all were clearly showing they just weren't quite ready at the time of his injury.

I like gamers. GM's like them too. If the injury can't get worse and they want to play I allow them to. It's the competitive spirit that I hold in high regard. Read has demonstrated more than once as well. He broke is ribs and kept playing in an enormous amount of pain. It's why I am in favor of keeping him and thinking he bounces back next year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't get this thinking. If the doctors tell a player he can not hurt the injury anymore but just will have to play through pain, why is it stupid for him to play? It's really not. The ligaments will get repaired in the off season most likely and he should be able to skate in 6 weeks. If you want to say we could replace him in the lineup with another player, who? Straka, Cousins, Laughton all were clearly showing they just weren't quite ready at the time of his injury.

I like gamers. GM's like them too. If the injury can't get worse and they want to play I allow them to. It's the competitive spirit that I hold in high regard. Read has demonstrated more than once as well. He broke is ribs and kept playing in an enormous amount of pain. It's why I am in favor of keeping him and thinking he bounces back next year.

Actually, Straka, Cousins and Laughton have all played better in their stints than Read did the first 40-50 games of the season. Read was actively detrimental to both the team and to Couturier. He was just awful.

Also, how can playing not slow down the recovery process? I have had torn ligaments in my ankle before. Time and rest healed it. Our training staff/doctors are legendarily incompetent.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Actually, Straka, Cousins and Laughton have all played better in their stints than Read did the first 40-50 games of the season. Read was actively detrimental to both the team and to Couturier. He was just awful.

Yes, and what happened to all them? They were all sent back down. Those players were called up when other were injured too. Not because Read was struggling and they thought replacing him with one would be better.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yes, and what happened to all them? They were all sent back down. Those players were called up when other were injured too. Not because Read was struggling and they thought replacing him with one would be better.

Just because they were sent back down doesnt mean they SHOULD have been sent back down. If Read took it upon himself to heal instead of play through poorly, then one of those players would have gotten a longer look and Couturiers line would have been better off for it.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Just because they were sent back down doesnt mean they SHOULD have been sent back down. If Read took it upon himself to heal instead of play through poorly, then one of those players would have gotten a longer look and Couturiers line would have been better off for it.

I don't think Read's injury is going to be fully healed until he gets surgery. I tore the ligaments in my ankle and the top of my foot and needed either surgery or a cast to allow them to heal. Luckily I chose the cast and they actually healed because they could not have and then I would have needed surgery.

I trust a GM over what fans say about the development of a player. We see points and other parts of the game but GM's are evaluating the entire picture. They are looking at much more than the casual fan that sees a player can keep pace with the NHL team(not saying you can see these or trying to question your intelligence, don't want it taken the wrong way)

Straka is still not ready to be a NHL player and Cousins and Laughton are centers. Laughton still needs to be in the middle but Cousins can play RW if need be. Both positions are not needed on Couts line. Read plays the right side the majority of the time there.

I thinks it's too much of an assumption to believe Couts would have been better off with two extremely inexperienced NHL players than with an injured Read.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't think Read's injury is going to be fully healed until he gets surgery. I tore the ligaments in my ankle and the top of my foot and needed either surgery or a cast to allow them to heal. Luckily I chose the cast and they actually healed because they could not have and then I would have needed surgery.

I trust a GM over what fans say about the development of a player. We see points and other parts of the game but GM's are evaluating the entire picture. They are looking at much more than the casual fan that sees a player can keep pace with the NHL team(not saying you can see these or trying to question your intelligence, don't want it taken the wrong way)

Straka is still not ready to be a NHL player and Cousins and Laughton are centers. Laughton still needs to be in the middle but Cousins can play RW if need be. Both positions are not needed on Couts line. Read plays the right side the majority of the time there.

I thinks it's too much of an assumption to believe Couts would have been better off with two extremely inexperienced NHL players than with an injured Read.

I honestly don't..at least the first half. He couldn't win a race for a puck, a battle for a puck, make a clean pass, handle a pass, anything. He was just the worst. I'm fully confident those 3 would have done a better job even playing out of position. But thats just my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad