L.A. Noire

Seguins Dragon*

Haven't finished game yet but am fairly disappointed with the game. Seems like there's not really a way to fail. I've had times where I've gotten less than 50% of the questions right but have still solved the case. Everything seems to just kind of hold your hand through the whole process and who the right suspect is seems pretty obvious in every case so far.

Even if you're failing hard the guy makes it obvious that he's guilty, or at least the one you have to convict.

Also, why does every single person run? Why can't more things be solved without killing the person? First chase, shot the guy in the knee...cut scene of him being rolled into a coroner's car. Ridiculous.

It's still fun, just repetitive and easy. Should be a gateway to awesome games in the same vein though.

This bugged me too.

I mean, I purposly shot the guy in the knee so I can take him alive and question/arrest properly... but the dude dies???

For a game to register headshots and headshot counts, you figure the least they would do is reconise the knee is not a vital organ or won't kill you if you get a gunshot.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
This bugged me too.

I mean, I purposly shot the guy in the knee so I can take him alive and question/arrest properly... but the dude dies???

For a game to register headshots and headshot counts, you figure the least they would do is reconise the knee is not a vital organ or won't kill you if you get a gunshot.

Well since it takes about 3-5 leg shots to get a guy to go down, if you need an explanation it's that the guy bled out before he could be got to a hospital.

For a game to have an option where some of the characters can be arrested or killed, that should be celebrated instead of being mad that not every character can be arrested and interrogated. That seems a little unreasonable.

Haven't finished game yet but am fairly disappointed with the game. Seems like there's not really a way to fail. I've had times where I've gotten less than 50% of the questions right but have still solved the case. Everything seems to just kind of hold your hand through the whole process and who the right suspect is seems pretty obvious in every case so far.

Also, you've five starred every case while getting questions wrong and missing evidence? The goal isn't just catching the guy, it's having an airtight case for the conviction. Watch any reality cop procedural like 48 Hours, they know the guy they want almost immediately, it's just building a case with witness testimony, physical evidence, and ultimately, the thing they want most is a confession.

(POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR HOMICIDE)
[spoil]
And you couldn't have got that far in the game if you think you've nailed the right guy in absolutely every case.[/spoil]

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Well since it takes about 3-5 leg shots to get a guy to go down, if you need an explanation it's that the guy bled out before he could be got to a hospital.

For a game to have an option where some of the characters can be arrested or killed, that should be celebrated instead of being mad that not every character can be arrested and interrogated. That seems a little unreasonable.

Also, you've five starred every case while getting questions wrong and missing evidence? The goal isn't just catching the guy, it's having an airtight case for the conviction. Watch any reality cop procedural like 48 Hours, they know the guy they want almost immediately, it's just building a case with witness testimony, physical evidence, and ultimately, the thing they want most is a confession.

(POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR HOMICIDE)
[spoil]
And you couldn't have got that far in the game if you think you've nailed the right guy in absolutely every case.[/spoil]

I've killed guys with two leg shots. But I understand your point. I don't think you should be able to interrogate everyone, just be able to arrest everyone without killing. I also dislike the reverse, that you can't just kill everyone haha.

[spoil]I'm past the point of realizing I "Didn't get the right guy" it's pretty obvious all along that you're not getting the right people, after about the second murder.Pretty sure you can't crack that earlier no matter what you do though[/spoil]

And yes, I know the point is to 5 star every case, but it's not like it really punishes you for not doing it. They should almost have something that tells you the actual outcome of the cases or something, and WHY they fall through or why they got the conviction, etc.

That's another upsetting point of the game, is not being able to re-do specific parts of the case. You can restart the whole thing, though sometimes you're 30 minutes into a case when you want to do that. It would kind of be cheating I guess otherwise, but it's still annoying.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Was able to rent this game on the cheap and did. VERY happy i didn't blow $60 on it. It's fun, but not $60 fun. EXTREMELY repetitive. It's the same procedure for every case. However, and this is the first time I've ever said this about a game, the story draws you in and keeps you wanting to play. I just wish there was more to it. They really have something good here. Build on it. I feel it's a lot like Assassin's Creed. The 2nd one was much much better after all the feedback so hopefully they make a 2nd one with some changes.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I should have added to my post. I didn't get anything from the face movements, spend less money on that and add some more to the rest of the game development.

Seguins Dragon*

Oh I like the option, don't get me wrong.

I am not super pissed, but it was annoying that I would chase a suspect, take aim and shoot him in the leg twice, and he is dead as a doorknob.

It was just like... wtf... I wanted to give him proper justice :laugh:

I understand sometimes you have no choice and have to kill the suspect, but still, if you shoot someone in the knee twice, they shouldn't die.

DeathFromAbove

Jul 17, 2006
Just finished it

Decent but flawed game with a crappy ending. Agree with the guy who mentioned that this has the potential for an AC2 type sequel that vastly improves the gameplay with feedback from the community. I found the story really picked up and pulled me in once the vice cases started

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
And yes, I know the point is to 5 star every case, but it's not like it really punishes you for not doing it. They should almost have something that tells you the actual outcome of the cases or something, and WHY they fall through or why they got the conviction, etc.

Agreed, I made a very similar point a few pages back. There's virtually no punishment for doing anything wrong, ever. You can bomb every single interrogation, miss all the evidence, convict the wrong guy, and the storyline still goes on. The game very much holds your hand the entire way.

I think part of that is because they tried a little too hard to make it appeal to gamers and non-gamers alike. Letting players skip the "action" parts was a good idea - for example, my mom bought the game because she loves CSI and adventure games and the like, so she thinks skipping the shooting and driving is a godsend. But making it so that you can blaze through the entire game without any repercussions to what you're actually doing? That's kind of hollow.

I enjoyed the game but I'm definitely conflicted about it.

Jaysfanatic*

Agreed, I made a very similar point a few pages back. There's virtually no punishment for doing anything wrong, ever. You can bomb every single interrogation, miss all the evidence, convict the wrong guy, and the storyline still goes on. The game very much holds your hand the entire way.

I think part of that is because they tried a little too hard to make it appeal to gamers and non-gamers alike. Letting players skip the "action" parts was a good idea - for example, my mom bought the game because she loves CSI and adventure games and the like, so she thinks skipping the shooting and driving is a godsend. But making it so that you can blaze through the entire game without any repercussions to what you're actually doing? That's kind of hollow.

I enjoyed the game but I'm definitely conflicted about it.

Your mom bought the game? LOL! That's awesome.

I honestly think that they were concerned about the amount of people that would cry about the game being too difficult by getting things wrong, so they shied away from it. That wasn't the right thing to do. If you're wrong, you're a bad detective. I hope they make a follow up that punishes you for being wrong.

They pandered to people who would *****.

DeathFromAbove

Jul 17, 2006
Your mom bought the game? LOL! That's awesome.

I honestly think that they were concerned about the amount of people that would cry about the game being too difficult by getting things wrong, so they shied away from it. That wasn't the right thing to do. If you're wrong, you're a bad detective. I hope they make a follow up that punishes you for being wrong.

They pandered to people who would *****.

It's not just LA Noire. There are very few games today that aren't ridiculously easy. Mortal Kombat was the first game in a while where I actually struggled a few times and it was refreshing

Last edited:

Jaysfanatic*

It's not just LA Noire. Every video game these days outside of sports and fighting games is ridiculously easy

They're afraid of what the risks would be by making it difficult. I've been guilty of this, so I know others are too. If a game is too difficult, put it down and go do something else.

Take Contra on the Nintendo for example. One shot, you're dead. It's probably one of the hardest games known to man. And with no save feature back in the day, one of the most frustrating. Same with Mario Bros, or hell Ninja Gaiden. Even with saves, Ninja Gaiden on X-Box is a maddening experience. Only really hardcore gamers enjoyed that, everyone else didn't bother.

They're catering to everyone else now, not hardcore gamers. It's why Move, and Kinect, and Wii are popular. They want them to be the new board games.

McSkittlez

Jumbo Trollton
Jul 19, 2010
San Jose
Finished L.A Noire a few weeks ago, haven't touched it since. It was a fun game while it lasted. Now I think I'll trade it in.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
They're afraid of what the risks would be by making it difficult. I've been guilty of this, so I know others are too. If a game is too difficult, put it down and go do something else.

Take Contra on the Nintendo for example. One shot, you're dead. It's probably one of the hardest games known to man. And with no save feature back in the day, one of the most frustrating. Same with Mario Bros, or hell Ninja Gaiden. Even with saves, Ninja Gaiden on X-Box is a maddening experience. Only really hardcore gamers enjoyed that, everyone else didn't bother.

They're catering to everyone else now, not hardcore gamers. It's why Move, and Kinect, and Wii are popular. They want them to be the new board games.

Because asking someone to spend 60 dollars on something that is as maddeningly frustrating as the first Ninja Gaiden is a complete no-sell. You can make it a culture war all you can (DEY TOOK OUR HERDKER!) but the truth is that developers realized that they were spending time making extremely difficult games that no one finished. If Ninja Gaiden was so hard that 95% of the people who played it never got past the jungle stage, what point was there in designing everything that came after it? What chance was there that anyone would buy another one?

The big reason why games were hard in the 1980s was due to the arcade roots of video games. Making games extremely challenging and downright unfair was a way of getting more quarters out of people. When the translation over to home consoles happened, they continued this theory, that the game had to be hard and punish player death. It was sometime later when they realized that the quarter was over. You already got the 50 dollars out of the player, making it so they can never finish your game doesn't generate any more money, and actually keeps your game from getting played if it's frustrating.

If you think I'm being crazy, I'll admit straight up that I stole this entire bit from Mark Cerney, an industry legend, who gave a talk about 'the end of death' during DICE 2011. Failure is not what drives people to play modern games, and his talk is about the great shifts that happened in the industry over the years.

http://riseagain.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/the-end-of-deaththe-crash-of-1982-mark-cerny-dice-2011/

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Is anyone still excited about the upcoming final 2 DLC cases?

Personally I don't really care anymore although I still might pick up that "Reefer Madness" case later on down the road after it comes out. As it stands now though, I've already beat and five-starred both PS3 DLC cases "The Naked City" and "The Consul's Car" and I thought both were pretty meh. I doubt I'll buy that Arson DLC case that will be coming out in like a week, as IMO that desk in the game really sucked and was very disappointing.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Am I the one that is having issues with the interviews? Seems like I get at least half of them wrong, and it's incredibly hard to point out the evidence backing it up, like the game expects too strict of an answer.

[spoil]With the case of the young actress in the car accident, I interviewed the guy at the prop shop. Saw everything that was related to the crime scene (shrunken head, drugs found at prop shop, Bishop's name everywhere, etc). I called him out for lying and used the shrunken head (although I could have picked half the clues available) to back it up and I still got the question wrong.[/spoil]

The game says to watch their faces for signs of lying. I'm not a ****ing psychiatrist. Anyone have any tips to go off of to "read" people beter?

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Am I the one that is having issues with the interviews? Seems like I get at least half of them wrong, and it's incredibly hard to point out the evidence backing it up, like the game expects too strict of an answer.

[spoil]With the case of the young actress in the car accident, I interviewed the guy at the prop shop. Saw everything that was related to the crime scene (shrunken head, drugs found at prop shop, Bishop's name everywhere, etc). I called him out for lying and used the shrunken head (although I could have picked half the clues available) to back it up and I still got the question wrong.[/spoil]

The game says to watch their faces for signs of lying. I'm not a ****ing psychiatrist. Anyone have any tips to go off of to "read" people beter?

Some characters are easier to read than others. I def had the same problem you're having. In some people, the eyes give it away. In others, it's their temper, or the way they move. It's def not an easy aspect to master.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Some characters are easier to read than others. I def had the same problem you're having. In some people, the eyes give it away. In others, it's their temper, or the way they move. It's def not an easy aspect to master.

I tried to follow how their lips were or if their eyes were staying in contact with me during the interview or moving around. I know there are ways to tell lying based on what direction they look and such, but who knows. It's definitely hard.

Lucky like mentioned before, they hold your hand so you can get everything wrong and still complete the case. It'd be nice if they fix that though to levels instead of straight right or wrong. Like if you imply a weak clue you may get a reaction out of them.

Use the Schwartz*

Great while it lasted, don't feel any replay value.

Will trade it in while I can still get 30 bucks or more hopefully.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Anyone else hate chasing suspects in their vehicles? It was more annoying than anything seeing as every suspect always has a faster vehicle than you AND a super natural driving ability.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
So how does the process of trading in games at Gamestop work? If I brought LA Noire in to Gamestop tomorrow, will they give me actual $ for it, or "credits" to put towards games in the future?

I've never traded a game in before so I dunno the drill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->