Sportsnet: KYPREOS: If they lose I have to think that's it for Rinne in Nashville

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Nashville could very well get rid of rinne in the off season. As much as I like rinne I would love to have 7 million more dollars in cap room. Trade bonino too and now we afford Tavares plus some. If I was Poile I would consider it. Trade rinne go cheaper and sign hutton. Take the salary you saved and go after Tavares or a scoring winger

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Trade rinne for what we can get. Saros has had more ice time then rinne did before he became the starter. Saros is ready and 7 million can go a long way. Tons of capable backups available in free agency. Not sure what one year of rinne gets. Just had a vezina caliber regular season followed by an entirely forgetful postseason

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Trade rinne for what we can get. Saros has had more ice time then rinne did before he became the starter. Saros is ready and 7 million can go a long way. Tons of capable backups available in free agency. Not sure what one year of rinne gets. Just had a vezina caliber regular season followed by an entirely forgetful postseason

Have to think he'd be appealing to a team that needs a round or two of playoff revenue to come out ahead on the year financially.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
preds have no picks in first two rounds so they could be enticed to pkg Rinne to the east to a team that has alot of picks

they can bring in someone looking to reboot career in a different zip code (mrazek ? halak ? ) to share crease with Saros

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Ridiculous premise. Rinne won't ever get traded, I'm confident of that. Yes, he had a miserable playoff. But he'll win the Vezina and he'll be back as the Preds' starter next year.

Secretly, I think Saros is better than he is, however. Yes, right now. Saros is the real deal and I'm happy with him as the heir apparent. So I'd love to see the split start tilting towards a 1A/1B situation next season.

And then after that it's more up to Rinne. If he'll sign for a series of cheap 1-year deals as the "veteran backup" to Saros until he can't do the job anymore, great. We'll see what he wants to do when that day comes. I could see him taking on that role, or looking for a starting role somewhere else as a free agent, whichever, and I'll wish him well if that's the route he chooses. (Although I'd not be optimistic about what another team would get out of him as a 37-year old starter - but that's their problem).

But I don't really see him EVER being traded in any of these scenarios.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
All the ones that think or want Rinne gone now will be very quiet boys next season if that has happened and Saros needs to do this massive workload all by himself. But now they're not so quiet boys yet.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I could see this happening. A team that is on the brink of playoffs (Carolina) are realistically solid goaltending from making it. The Canes have already signaled that they are willing to change things in the offseason.

I think Nashville has looked at the success of Tampa following the trade of Bishop and think they could move on. Whilst Bishop isn’t near the quality of Rinne, Nashville do have Saros who would be ready to be the number 1. It gives the Preds a lot of coin to spend and extend their window that bit further, or upgrade a position immediately.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Ridiculous premise. Rinne won't ever get traded, I'm confident of that. Yes, he had a miserable playoff. But he'll win the Vezina and he'll be back as the Preds' starter next year.

Secretly, I think Saros is better than he is, however. Yes, right now. Saros is the real deal and I'm happy with him as the heir apparent. So I'd love to see the split start tilting towards a 1A/1B situation next season.

And then after that it's more up to Rinne. If he'll sign for a series of cheap 1-year deals as the "veteran backup" to Saros until he can't do the job anymore, great. We'll see what he wants to do when that day comes. I could see him taking on that role, or looking for a starting role somewhere else as a free agent, whichever, and I'll wish him well if that's the route he chooses. (Although I'd not be optimistic about what another team would get out of him as a 37-year old starter - but that's their problem).

But I don't really see him EVER being traded in any of these scenarios.
He is not a playoff goalie though. Can't see Poile letting him be the man next playoff

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
That organization has way too much respect for Rinne to trade him now when they're finally contenders.

Wouldn't be surprised if they re-signed him to be honest. He has a great relationship with Saros, and taking the reigns as a young goalie is tough to do. We're talking about a guy who has barely 50 games under his belt.

Reactions: Tex76

HockeyFan4Lyfe

Oct 11, 2017
There is a possible move here

you ship out Rinne
and sign Lehner on July 1

Rinne's cap hit is $7M
he is 35 years old
This season a 3.07 GAA and a .904 Sv% his worst numbers as a starter

Lehner's cap hit you could sign him for less than $7M
he is 26 years old
This season a 3.01 GAA and a .908 Sv% slightly better numbers on a MUCH worse team

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland

you ship out Rinne

Rinne's cap hit is $7M
he is 35 years old

he is 26 years old
This season a 3.01 GAA and a .908 Sv% slightly better numbers on a MUCH worse team
Y I K E S
I
K
E
S

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

you ship out Rinne

Rinne's cap hit is $7M
he is 35 years old

he is 26 years old

Rinne: 2.31 and .927. Also a finalist for Vezina.

Lehner: Not vezina.

I guess that clears the value of this idea.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I think Rinne retires as a Predator. He likely plays out his contract in NSH and then signs a new contract(s) until he's done. He will mentor Saros, who will get more and more starts and eventually takes over the starter position.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think Rinne retires as a Predator. He likely plays out his contract in NSH and then signs a new contract(s) until he's done. He will mentor Saros, who will get more and more starts and eventually takes over the starter position.
This. If this doesn't happen, I will be shocked. Or something really strange will have to happen next season to set up a different scenario.

In any event, nothing is going to happen on the Rinne front in this calendar year, so it's not something that we need to worry our heads about right now.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Could definitely see a team like Carolina or NYI being interested. Especially NYI if Lou decides to get aggressive before July 1st to prove a point to Tavares

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

you ship out Rinne

Rinne's cap hit is $7M
he is 35 years old

he is 26 years old

I know Rinne had a crappy 2nd round, but he's not going to regress that badly. People have such a short memory around here that they forget he'll probably win the Vezina in a few weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad