Sportsnet: KYPREOS: If they lose I have to think that's it for Rinne in Nashville

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Wasn't everybody 2 weeks ago saying kypreos was out to lunch when he said there was a rift between Babcock and Matthews just to have Babcock fly out to Arizona a few days ago to patch things over.

Reactions: Leviathan

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
Wasn't everybody 2 weeks ago saying kypreos was out to lunch when he said there was a rift between Babcock and Matthews just to have Babcock fly out to Arizona a few days ago to patch things over.
or how Kypreos was worse than Eklund for breaking that Erik Karlsson was likely to be traded at the deadline just before everybody else started reporting the same thing

Reactions: Leviathan

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
How many times was he pulled in 2 rounds? Too many. Will be interesting to see what happens, they need to go to more of a split system with Saros.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Why would he leave? He's been with the team forever, I doubt he goes anywhere now at the end (especially since he literally just won [probably] the Vezina).

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Nashville probably wants that 7m off the cap more than they want to keep him. That's what it will come down to.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
or how Kypreos was worse than Eklund for breaking that Erik Karlsson was likely to be traded at the deadline just before everybody else started reporting the same thing

He's broken several big trades in the past few years, including PK Subban and Phil Kessel.

I don't know why everyone thinks he knows nothing. He's not Friedman or Bob, but he tracks rumours more than the average analyist.

Last edited:

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Kypreos is rushing... No way they let Saros be a starter and carry the work load all through the season and then some in the playoffs!

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You mean the planned family vacation that Babcock had well before meeting with Matthews at the last minute? Kypreos is a crummy reporter. He's pure speculation and is basing this report on Rinne off of nothing. Saying a pending UFA goalie (next year) who didnt play well in the playoffs is on his last legs isn't very informative.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He's broken several big trades in the past few years, including PK Subban and Phil Kessel.

I don't know why everyone thinks he knows nothing. He's not Friedman or Bob, but he tracks rumours more than the average analyist.
And he throws a ton of crap at the wall. On a weekly basis actually.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Rinne just won the Vezina this past season. Why are people putting so much emphasis on such a small sample size? Even if you wanted to get rid of him he's almost 36 when the season starts, he has a NTC and a 7M salary. He would be hard to move.

Also I'm pretty sure the fans would absolutely hate it. Rinne is a fan favorite and has played his whole career in Nashville. Give him one more season to play out his contract. If he's not good enough to be a starter, but he still wants to play, he should still recieve an offer to be the backup so he can retire in Nashville.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I bet the only way Nashville will get rid of Rinne is if Saros puts up better numbers than him in the regular season. Otherwise, I doubt they give up on Rinne that quickly. No Predator will likely ever wear 35 ever again.

I bet they'll likely trade Saros first if they get a significant offer for him, but I think they're high on Saros and want Pekka to mentor him on the way to him becoming a starter.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Given that there is no heir apparent, I doubt very much Rinne is going anywhere. That said, As dominant as Rinne normally is, he does have a worrying history of letting in really poor goals at crunch time. Even the most ardent Preds fan has to acknowledge some playoff inconsistencies.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Well if Nashville come somehow sign Tavares this offseason then I can see Rinne being moved for cap reasons. Otherwise I think they let him play out the last year of his deal.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Rinne was bad in the 2nd round, but we also should remember that the Jets probably have the scariest/deepest offense in the league. You can't afford mistakes/bad games against them.

Rinne was elite in the 1st 3 rounds last season, he's probably going to win the Vezina this season, he has 1 year left, Nashville has their core locked up for next season, atleast let him play regular season and go with Saros for playoffs instead of trading him for very little. If Saros would fail they could go back to Rinne.

Or just keep Rinne and have him mentor Saros for 1 more season and give the keys to Saros after next year.

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Really?

He's been good but jersey to the rafters?

I understand the skepticism but yes, he likely will. I’m not a Preds fan, but I do attend games in Nashville and have lived in this state since college. Pekka has meant a lot to the Preds and means a lot to their fans and the city in general. He’s a bigger fan favorite than Subban (he’s obviously been there longer so while not surprising, it still demonstrates the opinion of him). I would be quite surprised if they didn’t put his jersey in the rafters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->