Sportsnet: KYPREOS: If they lose I have to think that's it for Rinne in Nashville

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Rinne isn't going or leaving anywhere from Nashville so long when David Poile is GM.
He also has no trade clause on his contract so trading him isn't as easy as Kypreos thoughts.
Peks is preds franchise goalie and his jersey will get retired top of the rafters in Bridgestone arena when he retires.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Saros hasn’t played 30 games in a year yet, he’s not ready for full starters duties. Rinne will be here next year and likely for another year after that

This right here.

Saros is obviously the heir apparent, but he's not quite ready to take over as the man.

That being said, Rinne is 35 and on the last year of his big contract. If he shows a decline i could see the Preds moving on from him at the end of next year, but even then i think he probably still hangs around.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Preds need to tweak some things to get better for next year, but the goalie is not one of them

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Rinne isn't going or leaving anywhere from Nashville so long when David Poile is GM.
He also has no trade clause on his contract so trading him isn't as easy as Kypreos thoughts.
Peks is preds franchise goalie and his jersey will get retired top of the rafters in Bridgestone arena when he retires.

Really?

He's been good but jersey to the rafters?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Given his contract situation, this makes some sense. The Preds would need to bring in someone who is a proven 1A at least, but a change of scenery might be beneficial for both parties. Rinne is one of my favourite goalies in the league, a great player and a great Pred, but the history of failure (relative to his ability) might be hard to shake in Nashville. Carolina, St. louis, or NYI might pony up significant assets to get Rinne for a year. Something around Allen +++++ might be a deal that works for both teams.

My money is on Rinne getting one more run at it, but, assuming they will move on from him, this year is probably a better time to do so than next year. Would hurt to lose him for nothing.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Calgary should be all over this if so. He would greatly help solidify their team and give them a fighting chance in the Pacific. I would be ecstatic for the flames if they got him.

Until Vancouver makes the playoffs then its game on :) Rinne may be gone by then tho.

Reactions: Hobby Bull

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Preds probably wouldn't get anything of worth to justify trading Rinne. He's got a contract that includes what is likely a heavily limiting movement clause. The goalie market in general tends to return meager results in deals. Saros is a good goalie. Just increase his usage next year with Rinne and let Rinne walk at the end of the year.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I think that Nashville should find a new Goalie. The only reason Rinne seems good is because the defense in front of him. This is the second straight time in two years where he lets in soft goals in a elimination game. Didn't the preds basically lose in the first period last year because of Rinne as well letting in soft goals?

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
What are Nashville's needs? Carolina's youth progression and winning #2 has made a few quality pieces all over the ice potentially available; they really need a goalie.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
What are Nashville's needs? Carolina's youth progression and winning #2 has made a few quality pieces all over the ice potentially available; they really need a goalie.

We would need a 1b veteran goalie to split the season with Saros + forward or defense prospects/draft picks, but considering he just had a Vezina season before this awful playoff run and Ward and Darling's play we really have no reason move him.

Most likely he'll stick around until his contract runs out and even then I could see him taking a massive discount afterwards to be a backup until he retires.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I doubt he goes anywhere this summer as there's still a high level of risk with just handing the reigns over to Saros.

But I fully expect Saros to get a much bigger role next season with more games, and if by the deadline next season Saros is handling the increased role well I could see Rinne being shipped out.

If not the deadline I'd put money on it happening next summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad