Player Discussion Kylington, Andersson, Valimaki

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
That, or ideally we package Andersson and Hanifin for Drew Doughty at 50% retained

Giordano-Brodie
Valimaki-Doughty
Kylington-Hamonic
They're not going to retain 44M$ total. If we deal with king, Toffoli could be an interesting piece... well, as long as he doesn't go on a hot streak before the trade deadline.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Imagine Tkachuk and Doughty on the same team.

I believe both Doughty and Tkachuk know the "Elbow Incident" was an accident as Tkachuk tried to throw a reverse hit and Doughty got himself smoked. I don't think there's bad blood about that.

I do think the rivalry these two have built up since then is something they both enjoy.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Why do people see valimaki as a future top pairing guy? He's extremely vanilla and doesn't stand out anywhere. He could be a great shutdown dman, but its far more likely he's an#3 than #1. I'm pretty confident hanifin is the guy they see in that role.

He is a 19 year old rookie in his first professional season. Do you not realize just how impressive it is that he is already capable of jumping into the NHL?

For some context..
Andersson has 5 years of professional experience.
Kylington has 6 years of professional experience.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
He is a 19 year old rookie in his first professional season. Do you not realize just how impressive it is that he is already capable of jumping into the NHL?

For some context..
Andersson has 5 years of professional experience.
Kylington has 6 years of professional experience.

this x1000

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Valimaki has been twenty since game 2 of this season, which was his birthday.

For some alternative context Olli Maatta was an actual 19 year old logging 18:30.

Valimaki is a great prospect and I agree he has fine upside but playing one NHL game as a 19 year old has no correlation to being a future top pairing guy. Development is never linear.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

For some alternative context Olli Maatta was an actual 19 year old logging 18:30.

Valimaki is a great prospect and I agree he has fine upside but playing one NHL game as a 19 year old has no correlation to being a future top pairing guy. Development is never linear.

by that merit Kylington looks like a bust I guess.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

Maatta was also projecting as a top pairing defender prior to his cancer scare and laundry list of injuries which have plagued his development.

I agree with you that playing games in the NHL at 19/20 is not a sure fire indicator of future success, but it's certainly a promising sign. Defensively he looks more than comfortable, which is all you could ask considering his deployment and unfamiliarity playing against grown men.

Valimaki oozes hockey smarts, much like Rasmus Andersson, but in my opinion Valimaki has the better tools to round out into a top pairing defender.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Why do people see valimaki as a future top pairing guy? He's extremely vanilla and doesn't stand out anywhere. He could be a great shutdown dman, but its far more likely he's an#3 than #1. I'm pretty confident hanifin is the guy they see in that role.
He doesn't have any glaring weakesses, he's a good skater, and makes very smart reads in both zones. Is he a shoo-in for a top pairing dman? No, but I think it's fair to consider it as a reasonable possibility given his tools.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Know what's funny?

This was said about a prospect pool that featured Andersson, Kylington, and Kulak:

Calgary's [defensive prospect pool] is not too promising

Title of that thread: "Worst defensive prospect pool?"

I got a laugh out of it back then but I'm realllllly enjoying coming back to it now.

Here's another:

To clarify my earlier post, this is what I was referring to when I said I thought Edmonton had the better depth in the pipeline. To me Nurse and Reinhart are safer bets than Andersson and Kylington, while I think guys like Ethan Bear, Markus Niemalainen, and Caleb Jones (and maybe Paigin although I haven't seen a ton of him so next year could be interesting if he comes to NA) are in a similar tier of prospect as guys like Andersson, Kylington, Fox and Hickey.

Now Nurse has kind of produced, although if you dig deeper all his points are because Connor McDavid, not Darnell Nurse, but boy do I disagree now more than ever. Wouldn't even trade the rights to Fox for any of those Oilers prospects, if we still had those rights.

And imagine Griffin Reinhart being a safer bet than Kylington or Andersson.

Last edited:
Reactions: TychoFan

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I don’t know how it wasn’t clear to everyone that Reinhart was going to be trash. I saw that one coming from a mile away. Like, they gave up an absurd amount to acquire him.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The Oilers can barely develop non-top 10 1st rounders. If Kylington, Valimaki and Andersson were all up north, they wouldn't have amounted to anything and I feel fairly confident in saying that

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Andersson in particular has looked LEGIT when given an opportunity to play with Gio. I would seriously consider moving Brodie this off-season if there’s significant interest in him.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
The best thing to do is keep all 3 and after next season trade Gio. Gio will not best father time and hopefully has enough game the Flames can get a decent return.

You guys are talking about trading stability on the back end for a decade. Youth > experience in today's NHL.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
The best thing to do is keep all 3 and after next season trade Gio. Gio will not best father time and hopefully has enough game the Flames can get a decent return.

You guys are talking about trading stability on the back end for a decade. Youth > experience in today's NHL.

I don’t even consider trading Gio until he shows he’s going to start slowing down. Dude his having his best year. His contract is a few more years and I would have no problem him retiring a Flame.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Gio is the identity of this team and given his passion and penchant for fitness, he may very well play until he's 40 without a significant drop off. Maybe not on the top pairing though. While we appear to have an embarrassment of riches at LD with Vali, Shill, and Hani, do you trade a guy like Giordano? The offer would have to be very sweet indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Gotta think with the way Gio is playing he’s got at least another couple years. He’ll at least play out his contract, if not come back after to retire a Flame

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->