Player Discussion Kylington, Andersson, Valimaki

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Looking into this makes me nervous for the expansion draft. We'll have 5 very good Dmen on contract of which only 3 can be protected:
Gio
Hanifin
Vali
Rasmus
Kylington
Not to mention whoever we replace Brodie & Hamonic with.

Probably going to have to pay Seattle not to take a dman... But lots can change between now and then I guess.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Looking into this makes me nervous for the expansion draft. We'll have 5 very good Dmen on contract of which only 3 can be protected:
Gio
Hanifin
Vali
Rasmus
Kylington

Probably going to have to pay Seattle not to take a dman... But lots can change between now and then I guess.

I think one of hammer Brodie definitely re-signs. Maybe both

Hammer feels he needs to be in western Canada so he’ll take a discount I think

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Gio
Hanifin
Vali
Rasmus
Kylington

I can’t see Gio being protected for the final year of his contract, at 39 years of age. I also can’t see Valimaki being in the AHL next year or Kylington viewing that as an option either. Expansion is still two seasons away and there’s a high probability there could be big changes before that time.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I've floated the idea before on considering a Hanifin trade. Very similar to the Hamilton situation minus the alleged lockerroom/attitude issues. Hanifin would easily have the highest value out of any of the younger defenders; none of Valimaki, Kylington or Andersson have established themselves to the point where they'd fetch a worthwhile return. Any trade right now would honestly be selling low on them.

Regarding expansion, it's two years away and the math is really, really simple. The more good players you have, the less it'll hurt to lose one.

Also can't see any credible GM breaking up one of the best defensive pairings in the league right in the midst of their cup window. Don't see any of the defencemen being traded this summer unless it's a giant deal for another longterm piece.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think these guys would have to make some huge strides, in order for Hanifin to be available. People forget Hanifin is younger than Andersson, the same age as Kylington and a year older than Valimaki.

For sure. It's not that I don't like Hanifin, far from it. I just think he has the most trade value of the bunch and the biggest cap hit, so if Tre needed flexibility and the other three continue to make good strides I don't think it's out of the question.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
One thing learned from the Vegas expansion is teams that had terrible depth lost nothing
Teams that had depth lost a piece they were okay with losing
Teams that tried to game the system like Florida lost a lot more

I think holding onto 3 potential expansion targets and letting one go to Seattle would be fine

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
If the draft was this year and I'm Seattle, I'd pluck Jankowski.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If the draft was this year and I'm Seattle, I'd pluck Jankowski.
He’d probably be protected. Frolik would be the top available guy, maybe Ryan. I’d say we’d probably pay them to take Neal and go after one of this years UFA’s

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
He’d probably be protected. Frolik would be the top available guy, maybe Ryan. I’d say we’d probably pay them to take Neal and go after one of this years UFA’s

7 forwards would be:
Gaudreau
Monahan
Lindholm
Backlund
Tkachuk
Bennett
Jankowski

You're right.

Is any team going to go the 8 Skaters (F/D) + Goaltender route?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
7 forwards would be:
Gaudreau
Monahan
Lindholm
Backlund
Tkachuk
Bennett
Jankowski

You're right.

I think there’s a real chance that we go the 4 + 4 route in the actual expansion

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
7 forwards would be:
Gaudreau
Monahan
Lindholm
Backlund
Tkachuk
Bennett
Jankowski

You're right.

Probably Nashville again if they still have their top 4, maybe Anaheim. Should just be 10 skaters imo

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Kylington has seemed really up and down to me. He either looks like the worst player on the team or he looks like a dynamic offensive threat. I don’t really see much defensive upside but he’s clearly the most skilled of the 3.

Andersson has been mostly steady, but I really wish he would show some more offense. I know he has the skills, he just seems so hesitant to do anything with the puck. He’s shockingly good at holding the puck in at the blue line.

Valimaki was also looking steady, though I wish he showed more offensive ability as well. You can see the skills, and I think the numbers would have started to show if he hadn’t have gotten injured.

I hope the Flames plan on keeping all 3 and seeing how they develop, though I think Kylington is clearly the most expendable. Not sure how anyone could watch him consistently and think he “effortlessly handles defensive zone assignments”.

How is Kylington more expendable than the others?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Probably Nashville again if they still have their top 4, maybe Anaheim. Should just be 10 skaters imo

Two of Nashville's top three scorers are D. That's a rough forward line-up. They had some bad injuries though in Forsberg, Turris, and Arvidsson.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Why do people see valimaki as a future top pairing guy? He's extremely vanilla and doesn't stand out anywhere. He could be a great shutdown dman, but its far more likely he's an#3 than #1. I'm pretty confident hanifin is the guy they see in that role.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I just find it interesting given judging the players by their performance this year.
Not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying you think Kylington’s been the best this year? I’d disagree, but you’re entitled to your opinion.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying you think Kylington’s been the best this year? I’d disagree, but you’re entitled to your opinion.

I would agree with Hox that Kylington has been the best, although I don't wouldn't say Valimaki's been anything short of excellent after a rough three or four games at the start. The way Oliver recovers the puck and then breaks out is so exciting. If we're purely ranking on old school criteria like net front play, then I suppose someone might have Valimaki ahead, not that Valimaki hasn't had some gorgeous breakout sequences himself, but I'm just talking shift for shift. Every time Kylington is out there he makes something positive happen. Stick checks, takeaways, winning races, great breakout plays.

There was a sequence in the previous game where the pressure was coming from the left and Prout was to his right with pressure heading Prout's way too. Instead of throwing a suicide pass at Prout, he rims it hard around Prout's side of the ice out of the zone, and then a few second latter the puck is in our offensive zone. Just great reads like that with the puck on his stick, and he's able to skate the puck out of pressure too.

Finally, I believe that defensemen putting up points is not some negative subject. Minute-for-minute Kylington is already producing points 5v5 at the same kind of rates as Giordano, Hanifin and Brodie, in that ~1.1 P/60 range. Andersson and Valimaki are both sitting down in the 0.4 P/60 range . But that gets handwaved by some as "flash" in some hipster manner.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I'd hold on to Kylington and Valimaki for sure. Andersson I'm on the fence about...too bad the best two imo are lefties and we already have a logjam there.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd hold on to Kylington and Valimaki for sure. Andersson I'm on the fence about...too bad the best two imo are lefties and we already have a logjam there.

Ideally we hold onto all of them. Brodie stays on the right, we re-sign Hammer to a 3 year deal, for a little more than Stone got. Rasmus is fine on the 3rd and gets top PP minutes.

At some point though, one of Hanifin, Oliver or Valimaki will need to be traded.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Ideally we hold onto all of them. Brodie stays on the right, we re-sign Hammer to a 3 year deal, for a little more than Stone got. Rasmus is fine on the 3rd and gets top PP minutes.

At some point though, one of Hanifin, Oliver or Valimaki will need to be traded.

That, or ideally we package Andersson and Hanifin for Drew Doughty at 50% retained

Giordano-Brodie
Valimaki-Doughty
Kylington-Hamonic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad